Ever run out of Gas??????

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Ever run out of Gas??????

Post by Moxie26 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:42 pm

A warm engine, just out of gas, will run on........... Moonshine !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3oq2W_DN5A.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Ever run out of Gas??????

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:37 pm

That recalls my adventure running out of gas in a 1968 Renault R-10. I poured in a gallon of Coleman fuel and drove on to the next filling station. The engine didn't want to shut off, and I had to put the car in gear and pop the clutch to kill it. These days I never leave home in a T without my running board cans.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:06 pm

Back in the 1950's Diesel was cheaper than gas and I filled up my model A and drove from Los Angeles to San Bernardino and back on it. I just enriched the fuel adjustment a bit and off we went. good thing I had some extra spark plugs! They fouled about half way there and the smoke was very black! When I got back home a sheriff pulled me over and asked what I was burning. I told him it was Diesel. He said to fill it with gasoline and if he saw me smoking like that again I would get a ticket for air polution! That was also the only time I added oil to the crankcase while driving. Usually I had to add a quart quite often.
Norm

got10carz
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Post by got10carz » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:21 pm

Staying with the start of the thread, yes with a Model T. My wife wanted to go for ice cream. I knew the tank was low, so I checked and thought I could make it 15 miles and then fill. Went 12 miles and ran out. Walked to the next house,1/4 mile and asked for gas. The woman that lived there said they didn't have any. I knew the person that lived at the next place, another 1/4 mile and he was home and had plenty of gas and gave me a ride back. In the mean time a young girl that lived at the first house asked her mom, what if that was Jesus and he needed our help. Wanting to teach here daughter a lesson, she came back looking for me. That I'm sure will be the only time I will be mistaken for Jesus.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:40 am

Was on the way home in my friends car when he ran out of gas on the interstate. We could see a gas station about 500 yards away, climbed over the fence and went to the station. He told them he ran out of gas and could he get a gallon or to and if they had a loaner can. No loaner can, but they had new 2 gal cans for $5. Filled it up, returned to the car... and we were on our way. Then he remembered what his Grandpa told him: "Cost as much to put $5 worth of gas in a tank that is half empty as one that is nearly empty."
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 am

The first run of spring, after my first winter with the T put up in its hibernating
place, I got it running good and headed off for a run, knowing that I had filled the
tank when I put it away the previous fall. I made it about 10 blocks. "Knowing" it
had a full tank, I went off troubleshooting other potential problems. Everything
seemed in check, leading me back to the gas tank. Shur-nuff, .... dry as a bone !
Not sure how I vanished a whole tank of gas without noticing a leak, or the smell,
or anything. Since then, I make sure the sediment bowl valve is closed when I put
it away.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

jbodkin
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Bodkin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by jbodkin » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:28 am

Burger, I had the same experience. Would not start after winter hibernation. Wife suggested check gas. I had put the T away for the season with 6-7 gallons. Couldn't be empty! It was BONE dry. Turning off the sediment bulb valve wouldn't have helped. The valve was the leak! Sealed the valve with fuel lube and I never used it again.

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:09 am

Funny .... in all the years I drove my 1919 .. first as a mobile stage for medicine shows and after an accident rebuilt as a speedster ... I never ran out of gas; until the day before I sold it! I guess it was upset with me.

NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:53 pm

Never - and I'll stick to the story forever. :oops:

But once was driving the 1919 in the neighborhood and it stopped running a few blocks from home.
After a few minutes of looking at numerous things I put some smelly liquid that my wife delivered to me in the tank under the seat and it started up.

Mind you -- it was not out of gas it just liked the smelly liquid! :mrgreen:
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

OUT of Gas! Dont pull Choke.

Post by Novice » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Ran out of gas sitting under the car port running the engine for a few minutes to keep it limbered up. when it ran out of gas. I pulled the choke and it started ran rough for a half a minute or so and stopped. started again same thing. I turned off the gas valve at the carb. and the next day put gas in the T. turned on the gas and got ready to start it when i got a stiff whiff of gas fumes. looked under the hood and gas was pouring out the NH Carb vent.
turned off the gas and gave the carb a light wack with a rubber mallet problem solved. seems trying to run it with choke closed sucked all the gas out of the bowl and the float stuck in the muck.

Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Post by Tiger Tim » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:28 pm

I ran out of gas on my way home from work once, the way it started spitting and coughing had me convinced it was an electrical problem right up until it quit.

You’d think I’d have learned my lesson but I ran out of gas a second time right across the street from a gas station. Unfortunately it was a busy street and I didn’t want to risk pushing it across so I pushed it on a side street and walked home for my (empty) gas can.

Scottio

Post by Scottio » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:16 pm

Years ago I was working on my touring car, no starter, I put a little gas in the very empty tank and was trying to get the coils tuned in right. After half a day of fiddling with them I took all the coils out and cleaned and set the points. I was cranking the engine over by hand. It just wouldn’t start. Not even a spit. Nothing. After cranking till I got a blister on my hand my lovely wife comes out and ask me if I have any gas in the tank. Of course I do I’m not a complete idiot. She kept on and on saying it sounds like you’re out of gas so I opened the gas tank to show her. See look there’s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not one drop of gas in the tank. Ha ha. I must have used it up trying to tune in the coils. Ok so I was wrong........... I was a complete idiot.

Model_T_Family
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Sayer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Model T Touring (Black), 1924 Model T Speedster (Red)
MTFCA Number: 30962
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Model_T_Family » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:54 pm

Oh yeah definately luckily across the intersection was the gas station, and the Touring doesn't weigh to much.

Topic author
Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Has anyone clicked onto the link in reference to the movie ..."Lawless". !??!?.... It's model T relevant even though the rear end differential of the truck is not a TT standard equipment .

Topic author
Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Today a broke out the popcorn and watched the entire movie of Lawless made in 2012.. ... There's a t t truck that has to be a modified drivetrain that runs circles around other vehicles. ... The movie is set in Southern Virginia in 1931.... Quite a few model T's, model a's and the new 32 V8. It does get graphic, has nudity, and language...... Movie can't be downloaded from the internet provider for whatever fee they charge

samuel pine
First Name: samuel
Last Name: pine
Board Member Since: 2004

Post by samuel pine » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:29 am

Good ole bottle of 'Jack" motor has to be hot it works...

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:34 am

Not yet....but I have 4 liter bottle of Pentane, in my running board suitcase, that is beyond its certification date and therefore can't be used for ASTM tests in the refinery labs that I deal with.

The octane will be a bit lower than regular gasoline, but I'm 99% sure it'll work.
1924 Touring

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:49 pm

This wore out ol' 24 short box pickup sure loved his tank of racing fuel my son gave me after the season one time.
Just opened the carb a bit and Zoom! I'll bet I hit 30 with him!
:)
I wonder if some coconut rum would make the exhaust smell all nice and sweet? :lol:
If Jameson wasn't so darned expensive...
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic