Rear axle bearing problem

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John Illinois
First Name: John
Last Name: Burgett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 29590

Rear axle bearing problem

Post by John Illinois » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:29 pm

I installed a new bearing sleeve and the used bearing. The bearing was hard to get in, I actually had to tap it.
I removed the sleeve and checked the axle housing to make sure there was no dirt or grit under the sleeve.
There is only about 1/2 a thousandth play up and down. The bearing had .002” wear.
It seems the sleeve is too thick. Is this a normal problem?
Attachments
F48E45BF-8963-4D1B-B325-7978F01622EF.jpeg

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Rear axle bearing problem

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:44 pm

I've ran into a similar situation but I had the luxury of having multiple bearings to choose from so I fit each side to each sleeve. I've also attempted to install a .497 - .498 bearing into a new hardened sleeve and it was a "no-go" ?

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:45 pm

With the premis that the bearing cage is firmly riveted and cannot twist, I would suggest that you jack up the opposite wheel and give it a spin several times.

Your rollers may well not be fully parallel to the axle and housing and will settle in once they go around a few times with the axle shaft.

Try this and then check your play.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mike Lebsack-Iowa
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Lebsack
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11Torpedo, 11 Roadster, 13 Touring, 14 Roadster, 14 Touring
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Mike Lebsack-Iowa » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:13 pm

What you are describing can also be indicative of a bent axle housing. The original bearings and sleeves will wear in to this condition but when you install new sleeves and bearings, that have minimal wear, it usually end up
In a binding situation. This is well described in the MTFCA rear axle rebuilding manual.

Topic author
John Illinois

Post by John Illinois » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Scott I turned the axle a several times and no change. The end plates are tight.

Mike I will check that.

Topic author
John Illinois

Post by John Illinois » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:31 pm

Rajo,this .498 bearing does not want to go from the start,so I suspect the sleeve.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:27 pm

The new sleeves can be a tad thick. I haven't used any new ones myself, but have heard of tight assemblies several times w/new sleeves. Just wondering out loud if the new sleeves might not be perfectly round after assembly. Either way, I believe a small amount of use will get things settled in in short order.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:09 pm

I've installed dozens of the new repro "best quality" sleeves & I believe they're also just a smidge on the thick side myself.

I use a hose clamp to compress the sleeve to insert into the housing - pretty much stay round when they go in.

Ken Buhler
First Name: Ken
Last Name: Buhler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49471
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ken Buhler » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:42 pm

This is an interesting situation. First, I welcome thicker sleeves but it would be good to know which ones and what spec. I wonder if you first check the tube for burrs, measure the tube and then use another one the same size to install the sleeve. Then hone it out to the desired size and refit it into the subject axle tube.
I recently straightened 17 housings to within about 10 thousandths of perfect and found only two that didn't need correction.
Work honestly
Stay true to your word
Get the job done right

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:05 pm

Try removing the bearings and then check that the axle shafts are centered in the housing. If they are off to one side or too far up or down, it could be a sign of a bent housing. However if the shaft is centered and the tightness is all the way around the bearing, you probably have a snug sleeve.
Norm

Mike Lebsack-Iowa
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Lebsack
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11Torpedo, 11 Roadster, 13 Touring, 14 Roadster, 14 Touring
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Mike Lebsack-Iowa » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:12 pm

I believe that you will find that Norman is on target. Many of the housings have either sagged a bit under the cars weight or are bent from dropping or hard knocks. Not uncommon at all. I’ve seen guys tap or more or less force the Hyatt bearing in and it will rotate and will be tight at various spots around the axle rotation. Will not be a good thing down the road. Just my experience and opinion.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:18 am

I should stay out of this discussion as I have never really had any experience with replacing rear wheel bearings or sleeves, however, just to show my ignorance I guess, I have to admit that reading John in Illinois original post that started this discussion, the though occurred to me that perhaps when it becomes necessary to "tap a sleeve in" that is a bit too tight in a new sleeve like John described, I just wonder if perhaps running a brake cylinder hone through the sleeve would provide the necessary one or two thousandths of clearance,...??? That is if one did not have the option of selecting a used bearing that has another "thou" or two of wear as was suggested by RajoRacer,....??? Just a thought,.....harold.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:10 am

Aaaagh.....! Really screwed that up!!! I meant to say "when it becomes necessary to tap a BEARING into a sleeve" and it's too tight of a fit, and a useable bearing with a bit more wear is not available ........sorry,.....harold

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:04 am

Some guys have all the luck. Take a look at the old bearing sleave to see if the wear is evan though the bore this will be a indicator of how straight the housing is. Measure the thickness of the new sleave and compare it to the old one. If the sleave is substantialy thicker and the housing apears straight than thats the problem. If the sleave is that much thicker then tell everyone with a pile of worn axles & bearings were you found them OK. Merry Christmas
Craig

Topic author
John Illinois

Post by John Illinois » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Merry Christmas to all. Thanks for your helpful replies. I removed the bearing and the axle was indeed off center towards the front. I did not measure how much but would guess 1/8". Besides that problem I think the sleeve is too thick. I will look at it later and check things more. The old sleeve wore on the top surface evenly.

John

Kohnke Rebabbitting
First Name: Herman
Last Name: Kohnke
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Roadster, 1922 Coupe

Post by Kohnke Rebabbitting » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:24 am

While the rear end housings, have to be straight, that is not the problem, this time.

There are two companies that make the axle sleeves. One uses steel sheets that are .002, thinner then standard Ford, these are NOT usable, unless that is the kind of work, that will satisfy you. The axle movement will take the seal out.

The other sleeve, is .002 to thick in thickness. pounding it together, like that, will tear everything up.

We use the thicker ones, I took a thick wall pipe, and bored out the center to a stock Ford housing, I. D., the same length, of the sleeve Plus, .500-00. I put a slot in from one end, so the sleeve dimple would slid down the slot, lining it up. It works on Right, or Left sleeves. We had them honed to Ford specks, about .002 out, and they fit perfect.

Or you can put in floating hubs, which is better, in my opinion.

Herm.

Topic author
John Illinois

Post by John Illinois » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:58 am

Well I found the problem was a bent axle. Looks like I need to rebuild rear end.

I have a Ford bearing sleeve from the other side. I measured the thickness of an unworn area. It was the same thickness as the reproduction sleeve.

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic