Speedster build.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole

Speedster build.

Post by tdump » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:59 pm

I will just call this a build thread.
I must admit,speedster kits come about a little differnt around Mack's Garage.
First, the family buys land in 1969 with a bunch of trees on it and then 1 of them dies about 2010 and falls on a nieghbors fence about 2017
Then I bring the logs out from the woods and they lay around a while longer.
Do you see a speedster yet? :D

My dad sawed the biggest log to make sure I got about 5 2x4's and the other stuff I felt I needed. I have about 14 1x12's already cut but for whatever reason the guy that sawed them for me did not leave any 1x4's or anything.The log I got them from was WAY to big for me and my 85 year old dad to handle.I actually had the guy come up with his Caterpiller rubber tired loader to pick it up.It wa about 22 inches accross and green.
.But we managed these.You wouldn't think anything useful could come from these logs.
So now I should have enough lumber to make the speedster body for sure.
I sawed the 2 small logs myself with my dad offbearing the slabs.
Attachments
DSC00196.JPG
DSC00195.JPG
DSC00194.JPG
DSC00193.JPG
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Topic author
tdump

Re: Speedster build.

Post by tdump » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:25 pm

I took the fenders,and trunk and stuff to get sandblasted this morning.I am trying a different company this time.May not have been a good idea but we will see. he quoted nearly 300 bucks for 3 fenders,4 running boards, the trunk,splash aprons radiator shroud,and running board brackets for the chassis. Said the rust was old and heavy.DUH< it is 100 year old stuff! There was a 55 ford truck cab being unloaded as I was unloading.They do alot of car parts.
That was my entire budget for January nearly was the 300 bucks! Hopefully ebay sales will pickup!

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Now thats a build. Not just starting with a pile of boards but a pile of logs. Any plans to smelt some iron ore? Looking forward to another build to follow. Keep us posted Mack.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Well,actually I do have a freind that builds his own model engines,like a working model of the 4 cylinder Snow engine and such.He has ask me to come help him cast some aluminum parts for a project next spring.
If I was younger,I would be building me a daily driver in my shop. Cab and all.But i aint in the shape to do it now.I just piddle.
If I had my shop and plenty of money in my youth,I woulda been turning out a lot of wierd stuff! :lol:

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:22 pm

20191214_192112.jpg
A friend built this V-8 from scratch. Sparkplugs and plug wires are the only thing he did not build. Oh ya, the radiator is a heater core. Over 2000 hours to build it. Running race fuel in it and it has that V-8 sound.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:45 am

Love it!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:10 pm

I have just been piddling on this project the past couple weeks. Finally after alot of head scratching,decided to try to use the original cowl that came with the 26 chassis.I found a decent 26 hood in my stash I have NO idea where it came from or what But that and the cowl will fix me up.I only have 1 high radiator and the old radiator shroud which is rough but I will see what I can do with them.
In the mean time,I wanted to play with head lights.The buckets were shot,the bar is usable along with the brackets on the buckets.
So here is what I did.
Attachments
DSC00102.JPG
DSC00101.JPG
DSC00100.JPG

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:44 pm

Have 1 of each in same condition - yours if you want to pay the shipping

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:32 pm

I am covered on the headlights.I had the 2 buckets from the 26 chassis and several of the normal older type and I have both brackets installed on both buckets now.Gota put 1 in the electrolosis bucket and clean it.By the way, I did rivot the brackets on the buckets, not bolts.I went to Tractor supply and bought a little box of rivots used on sickle bar mowers and had to cut them off a bit.

I kinda changed my direction on this thing to include as much of the original parts that came with the chassis as I could with in reason.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Mack - Using as many of the original parts as possible as you said, seems to me to be the right was to build a speedster that is as similar as possible to the way they were built during the depression era. Not sure if the term "period correct" is applicable to speedsters, but when you think about it, I think that's what it was all about back then. Nobody had any $$$ during the depression, so I think the first thought in regard to speedsters was usually what to do about getting rid of everything possible so as to reduce weight, and then use as much of the original Model T as possible without spending anymore $$$ than you had to! Thanks for taking time and effort to let us follow along with your "project",.....harold

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:06 pm

.....dang it! ....the right WAY,.....not "the right was"! My "poof-reading" is as bad as my typing! :lol:

wayne sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon

Post by wayne sheldon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am

Yeah, Harold S, I usually use the term "era correct", but it is basically the same thing. Speedsters can be "restored" to represent just about any era from the brass era, the roaring twenties when speedsters really had "their day", or the barnyard cruisers or full out racing cars built from model Ts in the depression days. Speedsters were speedsters (by whatever any name they were popularly called). However, all the different eras had different popular methods and/or accessories, leading to somewhat different styles. And of course, anyone can build a T speedster today based upon the styles, colors, and repro parts popular today. I have said for many years now that building and driving a model T speedster is one of the longest running automotive hobbies in the world! They were first built in 1908 (by Ford's experimental team), and they have been built in every calendar year since, 112 years now.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:21 am

Harold, I agree with you - Period Hot Rods (that is what Speedster is) need to be an image of those in the era they are meant to represent. A friend of mine built a '32 bodied roadster like it would have been built in the early '50s. I asked if he intended to paint it (its in gray primer), his answer, "NO, back then a teenager would have spent his money on a performance part over paint". If you look at pictures of speedsters from the 1910's & 20's the only ones with a paint job are the cars of the performance part manufacturers. When the Syverson Cabinet Company started to product the "Speedster Body Kit" they may have intended to represent a notable racer of the time as kit cars often do. So many of today's Speedsters are more a representation on ones built in the '60s and '70s. I have included some pictures that correspond to what I have said. So my point is we build our cars to a period in time they are to represent - not always the time that they were built.
Attachments
Model-T-Ford-Speedster.jpg
lc-I.jpg
Stutz_Bearcat.jpeg

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:25 am

And I tried to support your point of view Wayne as well. Forgot to add that.

wayne sheldon

Post by wayne sheldon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:55 am

Thank you Frank B ! I thought everything you said was perfect!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:15 pm

I thought I would post these so folks might could help me fiqure out if by some chance this is the right shell or ?
Anyhow,this cowl sheet metal came with the chassis,this hood was in my stash,the shell,close as I could find in my stash.
I aint sure if it is right and it is about rougher than even I want to tackle.
Bear in mind I will be using 25 style fenders and such so that won't be a match to this sheet metal but I think I can make all that work,it is just the rad shell I am concerned about.Thus the reason I posted a ad for a cheap 1 that I will Know for certian is for the 26-7 application.
Attachments
DSC00105.JPG
DSC00104.JPG
DSC00103.JPG

wayne sheldon

Post by wayne sheldon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:43 pm

That should make a fine speedster! I don't think that shell looks too bad. Although a better one would take less time to rework and make nice. The fit between it and the hood and cowl looks good to me.
I wish I had a better shell to offer, but almost everything I have is low style, too early. The only high shell I do have is a '26/'27 nickel plated one in terrible condition. Bent, broken, and upper panel missing. I do have a project I was planning to use it on, but that project was set aside over ten years ago.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:17 pm

I have two high shells. The lacing holes for the one being painted has notches and the nickle one are round. I tried to line up the sides as best I could. There is a noticeable difference in the crown (see photos). Now my shells aren't perfect but wouldn't this difference cause a hood to sit differently on a shell assuming the side panels were freely hanging.
Attachments
High hoods 1.jpg
High hoods 2.jpg

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:21 pm

Thank you,that is what I needed to see,so there is a difference in tje 2 shells
Thank you for posting those 2 pics.Now I know that I need 1.
This shell is not to bad,but I would hate to fix it and it not fit.
I have a perfect low shell with it's little piece along the bottom and a really nice radiator for it.But the hood was going to be a night mare.I had worked on that problem a couple years back.Trying to extend a few pieces of old hood panels I had laying around to make them a 1 and a bit more longer to line up with the wood fire wall. After messing with this thing and hauling my T pickup on the trailer last week,I decided that wood firewall was just not strong enough. I watched the steering column on my pickup kinda shake some times.Made me think,"Hum,wood wouldn't take that much." I am going to put a steering column brace on the pickup as soon as I can figure out why it won't lay flat against the firewall and lay on the column correctly at the same time. :? Same was happening this speedster column,the brace will not fit correctly on both ends with the plywood firewall.But with this 26 cowl,it has a brace built into the dash panel.Problem solved.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:23 pm

Well,here is a bit of progress. Can't see it really but the front fender mounting has been figured out, new king pins and bushings and all the cotter pins in the front end. Figuring out lay out of the rear fender as I want them lower and more centered over the wheels than stock.running boards will be shorter as well as the splash aprons. All the parts I am using are not of the fineist quality so it is not like I am butchering good parts.this stuff was RUSTY and is pitted,cracked and bent. Alot of work.
BUT it will come along.
I am not in cahoots with any Model A folks but if I had 2 old spare tire wells from 28-9 model A it would sure make another idea alot easier to make happen. :D
Attachments
DSC00113.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic