Speedster build.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Speedster build.

Post by tdump » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:59 pm

I will just call this a build thread.
I must admit,speedster kits come about a little differnt around Mack's Garage.
First, the family buys land in 1969 with a bunch of trees on it and then 1 of them dies about 2010 and falls on a nieghbors fence about 2017
Then I bring the logs out from the woods and they lay around a while longer.
Do you see a speedster yet? :D

My dad sawed the biggest log to make sure I got about 5 2x4's and the other stuff I felt I needed. I have about 14 1x12's already cut but for whatever reason the guy that sawed them for me did not leave any 1x4's or anything.The log I got them from was WAY to big for me and my 85 year old dad to handle.I actually had the guy come up with his Caterpiller rubber tired loader to pick it up.It wa about 22 inches accross and green.
.But we managed these.You wouldn't think anything useful could come from these logs.
So now I should have enough lumber to make the speedster body for sure.
I sawed the 2 small logs myself with my dad offbearing the slabs.
Attachments
DSC00196.JPG
DSC00195.JPG
DSC00194.JPG
DSC00193.JPG
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Topic author
tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Re: Speedster build.

Post by tdump » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:25 pm

I took the fenders,and trunk and stuff to get sandblasted this morning.I am trying a different company this time.May not have been a good idea but we will see. he quoted nearly 300 bucks for 3 fenders,4 running boards, the trunk,splash aprons radiator shroud,and running board brackets for the chassis. Said the rust was old and heavy.DUH< it is 100 year old stuff! There was a 55 ford truck cab being unloaded as I was unloading.They do alot of car parts.
That was my entire budget for January nearly was the 300 bucks! Hopefully ebay sales will pickup!

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Now thats a build. Not just starting with a pile of boards but a pile of logs. Any plans to smelt some iron ore? Looking forward to another build to follow. Keep us posted Mack.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Well,actually I do have a freind that builds his own model engines,like a working model of the 4 cylinder Snow engine and such.He has ask me to come help him cast some aluminum parts for a project next spring.
If I was younger,I would be building me a daily driver in my shop. Cab and all.But i aint in the shape to do it now.I just piddle.
If I had my shop and plenty of money in my youth,I woulda been turning out a lot of wierd stuff! :lol:

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:22 pm

20191214_192112.jpg
A friend built this V-8 from scratch. Sparkplugs and plug wires are the only thing he did not build. Oh ya, the radiator is a heater core. Over 2000 hours to build it. Running race fuel in it and it has that V-8 sound.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:45 am

Love it!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:10 pm

I have just been piddling on this project the past couple weeks. Finally after alot of head scratching,decided to try to use the original cowl that came with the 26 chassis.I found a decent 26 hood in my stash I have NO idea where it came from or what But that and the cowl will fix me up.I only have 1 high radiator and the old radiator shroud which is rough but I will see what I can do with them.
In the mean time,I wanted to play with head lights.The buckets were shot,the bar is usable along with the brackets on the buckets.
So here is what I did.
Attachments
DSC00102.JPG
DSC00101.JPG
DSC00100.JPG

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:44 pm

Have 1 of each in same condition - yours if you want to pay the shipping
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:32 pm

I am covered on the headlights.I had the 2 buckets from the 26 chassis and several of the normal older type and I have both brackets installed on both buckets now.Gota put 1 in the electrolosis bucket and clean it.By the way, I did rivot the brackets on the buckets, not bolts.I went to Tractor supply and bought a little box of rivots used on sickle bar mowers and had to cut them off a bit.

I kinda changed my direction on this thing to include as much of the original parts that came with the chassis as I could with in reason.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Mack - Using as many of the original parts as possible as you said, seems to me to be the right was to build a speedster that is as similar as possible to the way they were built during the depression era. Not sure if the term "period correct" is applicable to speedsters, but when you think about it, I think that's what it was all about back then. Nobody had any $$$ during the depression, so I think the first thought in regard to speedsters was usually what to do about getting rid of everything possible so as to reduce weight, and then use as much of the original Model T as possible without spending anymore $$$ than you had to! Thanks for taking time and effort to let us follow along with your "project",.....harold

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:06 pm

.....dang it! ....the right WAY,.....not "the right was"! My "poof-reading" is as bad as my typing! :lol:

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:30 am

Yeah, Harold S, I usually use the term "era correct", but it is basically the same thing. Speedsters can be "restored" to represent just about any era from the brass era, the roaring twenties when speedsters really had "their day", or the barnyard cruisers or full out racing cars built from model Ts in the depression days. Speedsters were speedsters (by whatever any name they were popularly called). However, all the different eras had different popular methods and/or accessories, leading to somewhat different styles. And of course, anyone can build a T speedster today based upon the styles, colors, and repro parts popular today. I have said for many years now that building and driving a model T speedster is one of the longest running automotive hobbies in the world! They were first built in 1908 (by Ford's experimental team), and they have been built in every calendar year since, 112 years now.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:21 am

Harold, I agree with you - Period Hot Rods (that is what Speedster is) need to be an image of those in the era they are meant to represent. A friend of mine built a '32 bodied roadster like it would have been built in the early '50s. I asked if he intended to paint it (its in gray primer), his answer, "NO, back then a teenager would have spent his money on a performance part over paint". If you look at pictures of speedsters from the 1910's & 20's the only ones with a paint job are the cars of the performance part manufacturers. When the Syverson Cabinet Company started to product the "Speedster Body Kit" they may have intended to represent a notable racer of the time as kit cars often do. So many of today's Speedsters are more a representation on ones built in the '60s and '70s. I have included some pictures that correspond to what I have said. So my point is we build our cars to a period in time they are to represent - not always the time that they were built.
Attachments
Model-T-Ford-Speedster.jpg
lc-I.jpg
Stutz_Bearcat.jpeg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:25 am

And I tried to support your point of view Wayne as well. Forgot to add that.
Mick Jagger

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:55 am

Thank you Frank B ! I thought everything you said was perfect!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:15 pm

I thought I would post these so folks might could help me fiqure out if by some chance this is the right shell or ?
Anyhow,this cowl sheet metal came with the chassis,this hood was in my stash,the shell,close as I could find in my stash.
I aint sure if it is right and it is about rougher than even I want to tackle.
Bear in mind I will be using 25 style fenders and such so that won't be a match to this sheet metal but I think I can make all that work,it is just the rad shell I am concerned about.Thus the reason I posted a ad for a cheap 1 that I will Know for certian is for the 26-7 application.
Attachments
DSC00105.JPG
DSC00104.JPG
DSC00103.JPG

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:43 pm

That should make a fine speedster! I don't think that shell looks too bad. Although a better one would take less time to rework and make nice. The fit between it and the hood and cowl looks good to me.
I wish I had a better shell to offer, but almost everything I have is low style, too early. The only high shell I do have is a '26/'27 nickel plated one in terrible condition. Bent, broken, and upper panel missing. I do have a project I was planning to use it on, but that project was set aside over ten years ago.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:17 pm

I have two high shells. The lacing holes for the one being painted has notches and the nickle one are round. I tried to line up the sides as best I could. There is a noticeable difference in the crown (see photos). Now my shells aren't perfect but wouldn't this difference cause a hood to sit differently on a shell assuming the side panels were freely hanging.
Attachments
High hoods 1.jpg
High hoods 2.jpg
Mick Jagger

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:21 pm

Thank you,that is what I needed to see,so there is a difference in tje 2 shells
Thank you for posting those 2 pics.Now I know that I need 1.
This shell is not to bad,but I would hate to fix it and it not fit.
I have a perfect low shell with it's little piece along the bottom and a really nice radiator for it.But the hood was going to be a night mare.I had worked on that problem a couple years back.Trying to extend a few pieces of old hood panels I had laying around to make them a 1 and a bit more longer to line up with the wood fire wall. After messing with this thing and hauling my T pickup on the trailer last week,I decided that wood firewall was just not strong enough. I watched the steering column on my pickup kinda shake some times.Made me think,"Hum,wood wouldn't take that much." I am going to put a steering column brace on the pickup as soon as I can figure out why it won't lay flat against the firewall and lay on the column correctly at the same time. :? Same was happening this speedster column,the brace will not fit correctly on both ends with the plywood firewall.But with this 26 cowl,it has a brace built into the dash panel.Problem solved.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:23 pm

Well,here is a bit of progress. Can't see it really but the front fender mounting has been figured out, new king pins and bushings and all the cotter pins in the front end. Figuring out lay out of the rear fender as I want them lower and more centered over the wheels than stock.running boards will be shorter as well as the splash aprons. All the parts I am using are not of the fineist quality so it is not like I am butchering good parts.this stuff was RUSTY and is pitted,cracked and bent. Alot of work.
BUT it will come along.
I am not in cahoots with any Model A folks but if I had 2 old spare tire wells from 28-9 model A it would sure make another idea alot easier to make happen. :D
Attachments
DSC00113.JPG

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:58 pm

Well that steel shell that didn't look real bad after a few days in the electrolosis tank ,i think most of it is still in the tank!
I found a brass- was nickle plated shell in my junk that was BADLY bent and had a hole in it and such.I have pecked on it some and brazed the hole up. If push comes to shove I will finish it and paint it and hope for the best.
Head light buckets are painted along with rims. Just using regular paint,nothing fancy.
Tax refund is coming next week,and I have my parts list wrote up but I can't go broke! I will get some of the parts I need this month and some next month.
Removing the old bushings is all that is left to do before the transmission can be rebushed and put together.Had to scare up parts from 3 different 1's to get usable parts.
Starter is ready for it's new rear bushing,generator ready for a insolator and new cutout. I got all new stainless valves in the engine last week.
Shame I had to change the old 1's they were perfect shape,like they had never been run,ANd my adjustment was MUCH better with the old 1's. The new 1's are short and didn't allow me to get a good adjustment,I think most are around 15 to 18 thousandths.

Just alot of small task done.
Attachments
DSC00117.JPG
DSC00116.JPG
DSC00115.JPG

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Looking good Mack!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:16 pm

Well,I got my batch of parts for March work saturday. Will be able to fix the transmission and mount it up in the coming weeks.I got the screws for magnets and bushings for the transmission and the little peices for starter and generator and such.I will be able to make visable progress this month. I thought I would show the final appearence on the headlight job.
Attachments
DSC00121 (Medium).JPG

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:36 pm

Well I have a nice little hernia now I think from picking this thing up and putting it in the press to compress the clutch spring.
But at least this part of the jig saw puzzle was assembled over the weekend.
I know my methods and such can't produce a 100% back to factory spec transmission.BUT the way I figure it I took parts and made a good transmission that should in theory operate like it had a few 1000 miles on it. Perhaps not "perfect" but functional. and affordable for my very limited budget.
There are 2 questions I need to ask, this thing is heavy,I actually did hurt myself lifting it. I have a shop crane,a chain fall and the engine is on a stand although I will need to level it as the engine is tilted back slightly.
How do you safely lift the trans on and off the engine for setting the air gap?
And my dad ask a good question, what keeps the brass screws from backing out slightly when you peen the backside? Which i know I need to do yet,but since he ask, and I couldn't answer,I figured i would ask here.
Attachments
DSC00131.JPG

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:54 pm

The brass screws should extend about 1/16 inch or only slightly more beyond the surface of the gear. A simple light hit or two with a medium ball peen hammer should be sufficient to keep the screws from backing out. Ford factory used a "waffle" punch, which gives a better spread. A center punch could help also. However you chose to do it, the screw should be spread SLIGHTLY to where it exits from the ring gear. It should NOT be beaten down or hit hard! That could result in a fracture of the ring gear, or the brass screw below the surface of the gear which could allow the peened end to fall off and allow the screw to back out without warning. You don't want that!

Thank you Mack! I enjoy reading of your progress!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:36 pm

ok, thanks . I finally got the engine on a stand that it is level on instead of leaned back.
So now I am trying to figure out how to safely lift the transmssion.I am not in pain but that little knot that has come up in not so good a place is letting me know it is there and does not want to be disturbed. :o

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Always be very careful with lifting! I have never had any real back problems, and often lifted things one shouldn't. However, I have known many people with serious back issues, including my wife, my father, and two of my longtime best friends (one missed my wedding 43 years ago because he was in traction at the time!). As I get older, I find I can no longer lift or carry many of the things I used to.
Ramps, levers, any sort of hoists, and hand trucks (dollies), are all all your friends! A little creative placement and leverage can work wonders! Be careful with things like come-alongs and ropes with pulleys that whatever they are attached to above is strong enough and secure! Also make certain they are not lifting more than they are designed to! (Come-alongs generally are not rated for direct lifting, but actually can if proper care is taken and the pulling cable goes at least two turns around the ratcheted shaft.) We don't want transmissions landing on your foot, or worse. A "two ton" come-along should NEVER be used to lift more than about three hundred pounds! Horizontal "pull" is NOT the same as "lift". (That is why the manufacturer's lawyers say "never used to lift".)
I don't use it very often, but my Harbor Freight heavy duty engine hoist has paid for itself several times over. The biggest problem with it, is that it really doesn't lift high enough. A roughly four foot lift can't reach a three foot high workbench with a foot and a half tall motor!

Be careful my friend!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:18 pm

I have 1 of the old green Carolina 2 ton shop engine cranes. It does not fold up like the harbor freight 1's but it is a good lift. My dad has a Coffing chain fall,that I am going to hang from the engine crane so I can make a straight up and down pull on the transmission. I am just trying to find a way to hook it up to the chain

Yea to add insult to injury,I had a old rusted flywheel that had some spools on it and plates and I had put it in the shop to remove some spools to save having to file them all down the same size, I measured a stack of them and got all of them withing .002 of the same length thinking that will help me set the air gap later. I decided yesterday evening to carry that old flywheel out the door and back down the "back 40 pile". I couldnt hold it and open the door and dropped it.I managed to get my foot out of the way,but it caught my left knee and left teeth marks, and my right shin leaving teeth marks and put teeth marks in the concrete!
So I am sore all over!

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:37 pm

Oh ouch! I am glad it wasn't worse, but still? I guess now you have to recheck the magnet/plates heights? And that shin will throb for a week!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 am

I didn't drop the finished unit,I dropped a clunker I had removed parts from. The good 1 is safely on a table waiting on me to figure out how to lift it!Thank goodness I didn't drop the finished 1,had I dropped it,you woulda heard me clear out there in Califunny squalling like a baby!

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by jsaylor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:59 pm

Best way to handle the trans is to use a ring with three chains hooked into the Magnet bolt holes.
Attachments
Trans lifting sling.jpg

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:04 pm

so you took 3 brass screws out of the flywheel and used those holes?

jsaylor
First Name: John
Last Name: Saylor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring, 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1695
MTFCI Number: 23870
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by jsaylor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:51 pm

Yes. I took some "S" hooks from the hardware store and bent one end and hooked into the magnet, ring gear holes. For the ring on top make sure to get one rated to hold the weight. I think the one I found was rated for 900 lbs. Open the end of the chain up to put on the ring and close. I took this shot when i was taking the transmission off for rebuild.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:17 pm

No pics at this time but engine is in the frame.
I got a good repairable radiator shell today in the mail ! Thanks Dale!
Made a good trade on a reverse eye rear spring that will be taken care of as soon as all this stay at home order thing is history.

dlmyers
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Myers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 24465
MTFCI Number: 19884
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by dlmyers » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:16 am

You're welcome, Mack. I'm happy it's going to be used.
The old forums are a gold mine of information.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:53 pm

No pictures but the transmission hoghead is on,starter is on and it sputtered on a quick squirt of starting fluid after I spun the engine over a good bit with the plugs out. Plenty of compression that is for sure.Also when plugs were out, tried the pedels, got 2 forwards and 1 reverse! I have been a little iffy on having the rear axle right but not worried now.
Side note, If you have any of those plastic stackable lawn chairs Don't trust them.
I had a nice red tall "anarondac" spelling, chair out beside the shop for the past couple years. I would go sit in it and rest a while.Until monday 2 weeks ago.The back broke out of it and since I was leaning back a little,it threw me out of the chair and flat of my back with my head against the block wall of the shop. I have been VERY sore the past couple weeks but finally getting a bit better. I was told that if 1 of those chairs is out in the sun,it goes bad quick.
BE careful,had I been a couple inches closer to the building,I would be a vegitable or a goner.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:23 am

Be careful Mack!! We need you!

bnchief
First Name: Steven
Last Name: White
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 73
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by bnchief » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:28 am

tdump wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:17 pm
No pics at this time but engine is in the frame.
I got a good repairable radiator shell today in the mail ! Thanks Dale!
Made a good trade on a reverse eye rear spring that will be taken care of as soon as all this stay at home order thing is history.
I look forward to getting the other part as well Mack glad it worked for both of us your speedster is gonna be really nice.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:10 pm

Well this photo looks to be a 100 years old but I just took it.I had to lighten it up with software.
But the chassis is painted, The fenders will also be the dark green,the hood,rad shell,cowl and such will be the color of the coil box.
a much lighter greenish.Can't remember the color name.
Gota long ways to go. I switched out the wheels to my pickup as the blue wheels were not going to look right.and the pickup could have purty much any color wheels and not clash. So that is why the wheels and tires may look familar to you.
I wanted british raceing green but that would be exspensive and the chassis has pits in it anyway. It will be ok I think. I wish I could find the photo of the brass speedster I found online that gave me the idea for this paint scheme. it was a brass car.
Anyhow,here is a bad photo.Also,a pic of the chair that broke from under me,I am still hurting from that! If you have a chair like this, PITCH IT INTO THE DUMPSTER!
Attachments
DSC00126.jpg
DSC00208.jpg

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:28 pm

T is looking really good!

Some things simply SHOULD NOT be made out of plastic! Chairs like that are one of them. The plastic deteriorates for a variety of reasons (did you know that many plastics SHRINK as they age?), and the item becomes brittle. I have known several people that had those chairs break under them! A few were mildly hurt (now adding Mack to the list!).

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Fri May 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Maybe if they drank less beer the chair would not break. From all that leaning backwards.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Fri May 01, 2020 6:56 pm

Hehehe, In my case Mt Dew,I can't stand alkehaul.
I got a stick of 14 gauge 2 inch square tubing today to make the sub frame of the body for the T. I have some of the nice brackets that bolt to wood.But I think since i am making a steel outer frame,I will cut some angle iron for brackets to the chassis and weld them to what I am making.I was going to use oak ,like a 2x4,but the rear fenders I am using were requiring to much notching to fit,weaking the board.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Thu May 07, 2020 10:35 pm

just a progress photo or 2
Attachments
0507201931b (Medium).jpg
0507201931 (Medium).jpg

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Fri May 08, 2020 10:02 am

Was lookin over yur pics and noticed a familiar situation...
1B3F6B8F-27E4-4983-8957-992462EBFE7B.jpeg
I ran this exact same lowering setup in my speedster for a while (home made Laurel lowering brackets with a cut down spring perch and a late wishbone). If you run fenders you may never notice... but you are going to have a LOT of caster in the front axle. By moving the front axle in front of the spring perch, there is now substantial leverage to twist the front spring and wishbone ends causing the caster angle to change dependent on load.

If you put a block of wood on your floor jack, and lift the chassis from the front spring mount... you will see the front axle caster angle change dramatically as the weight on the front axle changes. A simple double wishbone attached to the top of the axle will remedy the situation, and make for a much safer design. I eventually made new brackets to eliminate the cut down perches, but still run the same double wishbone
0F814A1F-B761-4F3F-9715-3D7143D6B90A.jpeg

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri May 08, 2020 10:11 am

The increased caster from lowering the front end also makes it very hard to steer. I converted mine to 5-1 steering gears to help compensate, which helped a lot, but you still get a workout on a long drive.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Fri May 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Double wish bone? Um, now would be a good time to educatae me on that since it is not finished yet!
5 to 1 steering already fixed for it.To be honest, i wish I had NOT changed to that on the pickup,as with the big steering wheel it seems almost to sensitive in the steering.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 pm

Hours spent to get the cowl useable. Parts of 3 to make 1! most of this cowl I am trying to use is from this chassis. But the others were cut off as in for a short dog tractor or whatever best I can tell.
Strange how it was all torn up around where the gas tank comes out,a long crack along the bottom of it,holes and cracks all around where the steering column mounts.And the other 2 were WORSE than this 1. I don't know how they get in such a shape.I rivoted in the side pieces as the old 1's were bent, and the other cowl had good 1's.
Lousy pictures but progress is very slow.You will notice some 2x2 tubeing clamped onto the chassis.I am working out in my mind how to make a subframe.But I have to get the other peices decent before hand.
ALSO, A 1926 dash panel. Does anyone have a close up picture of what the slot-hole for the steering column is supposed to look like?
This is the only dash I have and it is not in "perfect shape" to say the least but I can repair it. I kinda wanted to use that nice insturment cluster with a switch on it but I hate to cut this dash up after I do all the work to fix it!
The radiator shell is turning out good. Needs some more high build primer,several coats,and sanding. Came clean using electrolosis .
Attachments
DSC00129.JPG
DSC00130.JPG
DSC00128.JPG
DSC00127.JPG

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:39 pm

couple of pictures
Attachments
26-27 roadster dash.jpg
26-27 roadster dash.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 18761 times
s-l1600.jpg
Mick Jagger

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Mon May 25, 2020 10:52 pm

Ok,so I will need to make that little bolted on peice,Best I can tell the coiumn is just loose in the hole?

It appears the curved portion of that hole for the column has a lip turned to the inside for strength best I can tell from the pic.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Tue May 26, 2020 2:15 pm

tdump wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:52 pm
Ok,so I will need to make that little bolted on peice,Best I can tell the coiumn is just loose in the hole?

It appears the curved portion of that hole for the column has a lip turned to the inside for strength best I can tell from the pic.
The column in my '26 Runabout passes through the hole and does not touch the metal dash. You are correct that there is a flange, about 1/4" deep around the hole. The part that goes under column also has two holes in its bottom flange for screws. They go through the two holes under your dash.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Tue May 26, 2020 3:46 pm

Thanks for the help folks.
I sent off 4 Ford coils to be rebuilt today for the May parts budget.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Thu May 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Ok,I think I have the top of the opening a bit to "square" and will have to kinda hammer a curveature into it to make it wrap around the colum a bit nicer but I got some done.A couple days in the electrolsis tub and a wire brush on a grinder made it clean and bare.I cut out a portion and welded in new metal. Won't have to use much filler but the whole surface has light pitting so it will need it..I hate that stuff but when you are making chicken salad out of chicken manure you sometimes add seasoning to cover the smell! :lol:
Attachments
dash 1.jpg
dash 2.jpg

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:14 pm

Here is a picture of the bracket that goes on he underside of the dash to support the steering column. The dip is for the horn wire
Attachments
support.jpg
Mick Jagger

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Thu May 28, 2020 11:11 pm

OK that is what I needed to see.Thank you Sir!
:D Looks like a bit of hammering and bending to make that!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:34 pm

No progress has been made in the past few months.To busy fixing lawnmowers for neighbors and so forth.BUT I did order a radiator hose kit and such today. Got some hoodshelves to work on today to.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:15 pm

Long overdue,but I did get the cowl and a roadster turtle deck sandblasted this week.I had got busy doing other things and just haven't done much at all to this project. Partly because these parts were rusty and my vat for electrolosis was to small.
BUT for what it cost to get these 3 pieces blasted :shock: ,I am now looking for some kind of a plastic tank big enough for parts of this type!
Attachments
DSC00217.JPG
DSC00218.JPG
DSC00219.JPG

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:58 pm

Well I finally got both sides of the bottom of the cowl frame work finished today.
There is parts from 4 different 1's on this 1 frame work!
I do have a couple questions.
1, how thick are the wooden blocks used between the body frame work and the chassis?
2, is there any kind of washer or anything between the very front body mounts and the chassis?
3, Why isn't there body mounts riveted to the chassis for that last crossmember in the body frame work? This frame work came with the chassis and there was bolts in the holes that I had to cut off. So I can't understand the lack of rivet holes in the chassis or body mounts.

I have got to make a crossmember for the 1 that is missing and replace a few rusted sections of the body frame work before I can use it. I have scratched my head long enough and couldn't come up with a frame work idea that seemed feesable,so I dug the old frame work from out behind the barn.the front section of this body frame work was rusted off, and more will be removed when I weld the parts on the cowl to it.

As for the rear fenders,I am going to be cutting down a set like i did for my pickup. Alot of work to make the back side straight like the outside.kinda like a pickup fender.
requires a bad fender for parts to cut out of it to weld into the usable fenders.I don't have any 26-7 sheet metal and don't like the looks of it anyway,to modern looking for a T :)

Also,for the folks with Keen eyes,no those are not 26-7 splash aprons. It took me several hours of welding and grinding to move the rear mounting hole on a 25 back set of aprons so they would bolt to the 26 chassis.
Attachments
IMG220203073149F.JPG
IMG220203074728F.JPG

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:55 pm

Well a good bit has been done since the last post.pictures are in the wrong order,
I can't put into words how many hours I have in this frame work but it is now painted and finished ,ready for the cowl sheet metal to be repaired and installed. It is just stored on the chassis, I am thinking it will be easier to install the sheet metal cowl and fuel tank and etc while it is on the table frame when I get those parts ready.
Oh yea,in case you are wondering why GREEN, the brass car that inspired my color choice,I finally found a pick,
I have NO idea who's car it is,but this is what gave me the color idea. I wanted something different.
Attachments
13-Ford_Model_T_Spdstr-DV-07-MBA_02-800.jpg
KIMG0244.JPG
KIMG0243.JPG
KIMG0242.JPG
KIMG0241.JPG

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:39 am

Just my opinion, but I am thinking if the hubs were black and the rims were black it would make the natural spokes and the whitewalls stand out a lot more. I love the two colors of green in that picture. They go together well. Ask a woman who knows color. That is why I check with my daughter to see if the colors match and are balanced. Again, just what I see. I love what you have done so far.

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:55 am

Looking good Mack!
I am always pleased to see updates on your projects.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:27 pm

I know this does not look like much but I finally got to start piddling again at this thing.
I got the body frame work bolted to the chassis. Steering colum bolted in, and I have made a BUNCH of wood shavings.
I had a stack of white oak lumber dad and me had cut back in 1995 that I was going to use on my 1 ton T truck project for a flat bed.Well,it twisted warped and etc,and plus I found the dump bed,and the rest is history, but that lumber was still stacked up behind the shop. I decided to use it for this project since I needed short peices and could deal with twisted and warped wood that way.
there is ALOT more work to go but it is a start.
The boards will set down inside the frame work,resting on a 5/8ths "lip". I will also put a strip of wood attached to the frame work to further support the wood going sideways.
Hard to explain but it might make sense after I get started.My planner failed and I had to borrow 1 to finish,I will have to slide the stuff back thru on a light pass just to clean up some spots. The feed gear box is shot,the gears were slipping,letting the blade sit in 1 place to long.
Attachments
KIMG0525[1].JPG

Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:58 pm

Good to see that you are still at it Mack!

Don ellis
First Name: Don
Last Name: Ellis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,1917,23,27
MTFCA Number: 17946
MTFCI Number: 15366

Post by Don ellis » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:55 pm

Looking good Mack!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:16 pm

I took a break from it and worked on other projects for a while. Hope to work on it for at least this month and next,before the lawnmowers take over. got 3 now for repairs.of course that is how the Tparts get bought, from those repair jobs!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:52 pm

Well here is a update on the wood,most of it is roughly fitted .
And a photo of my gas tank solder job!
Attachments
KIMG0614[1].JPG
KIMG0618[1].JPG

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:22 am

I finally will try to get back on this project next month.I squrrield some money back and took a trip to town with this gas tank to see about getting it cleaned.
275 bucks! they said. I brought it back home.
I think no worse than it is on the inside i will get a gallon of evaporust and some por 15 and do it my dang self for less.Just put a fuel bowl on it with a screen. That is just a ubsurd amount of money to throw a tank in a vat,dry it out and swirl some stuff in it and call it done.It wouldn't be so bad if there was actual man hours involved but it is soak and wait,pour twist and wait. I can do that at home!

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:48 pm

Well this came today by brown truck, makes 4 gallons of rust remover.
Wish me luck! :D
https://www.rust911.com/rust-remover-16 ... r-rubbers/
I will mix a gallon and try it on 1 of the small gas tanks I need to repair for small engines and see how well it actually works first. I will be using distilled water because i am afraid the water from our well has minerals in it that will "use up" some of the chemicals ability before it ever gets a start.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:56 pm

Well i mixed 2 gallons worth of the Rust911 and used it on some small Briggs and stratton gas tanks, it works but honestly, I don't know if it is really that good or not. It will take another jug like this 1 to make a total of 6 gallons of mix I can put in my T tank and just stand it up in different positions for several days each way and let it soak I guess. Cheaper than 275! :o

tvw
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: H
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 22 touring

Post by tvw » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:28 am

Throw an old chain or some nuts and bolts, gravel in that tank with the rust remover. You can shake it from time to time to get some abrasion with the chemical strip.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic