Need help with a pin size.........

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Need help with a pin size.........

Post by George Andreasen » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:04 am

I'm faced with having to remove both the pedal and cam on my low speed shaft, then replace the shaft with a new one. I attacked the cam pin first, grinding down the head and attempted to heat, then drive the pin out......it won't budge, so it looks like drilling it out is the only solution. So, what size are these pins? 3/16" or some decimal size?

Now, I've never had a great deal of luck drilling out pins. Oh, sure, I get them drilled but no matter how hard I try a small portion of the pin remains in the hole. In other words, the hole is not perfectly straight so I may have to just drill to the next oversize and replace with an oversize pin.

Any advice is appreciated! :)

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: Need help with a pin size.........

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:39 am

You could buy a pin from one of the vendors and measure it before drilling. I would not give up on using heat, though. When things are really tough I use WD-40 AFTER heating. I've successfully removed many fasteners this way. I use WD-40 in a squirt bottle, not aerosol since the aerosol propellant is flammable. (I buy WD-40 in gallon cans for use on my equipment.) Heat the connection, and while hot, squirt WD-40 in the joint. It will be drawn into the joint as it cools. Let the pin cool down and keep hammering on it. Good luck.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:48 am

That rivet is 1/4" diameter.

If you carefully grind down the end flush to the pedal, with clean grinder, spray a bit of oil on the surface and most times you can see the circular outline of the rivet shaft.

Then center punch and drill into the rivet about 1/3 of the way deep. Select a strong punch the size of the hole and bang the rivet with large mallet and it will punch out.
IMG_0842 (1280x1134).jpg
IMG_0835 (1280x661).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

rickd
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Duquette
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1925 Touring, 1927 PU, 1955 T Bird, 69 Shelby GT 350
MTFCA Number: 21848
MTFCI Number: 22173
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by rickd » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:11 am

Replaced all of the pedal shafts last summer in my hogshead restoration. What worked for me was to cut off the old shaft close to the pedal, center punch the pin on both sides as Dan describes then drilled into the pin from both sides until I hit the shaft. I used sequentially larger drill bits working up to a 1/4". Then I drove the remnant of the shaft out of the pedal. Don't do what I did on my first attempt and try to drill all the way through the pin. Some of them aren't exactly straight when they go in and you might mess up a pedal, like I did.

Topic author
George Andreasen

Post by George Andreasen » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll try drilling/driving as suggested........wish me luck!

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:38 am

That's what arc welders are for - repairing the holes !

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:12 pm

What Dan T. said. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:17 am

George, my method is a combination of sorts from the above tips. I grind the rivet flush and then drill it with a small drill, but only about 3/4 of the way through. It even works well when your initial drill hole is off-centre. Just step up the drill size and re-drill until the drill hole almost cuts the side out of the rivet. Then a snug pin punch can be used to drive the pin out. The hole you drill keeps the punch in place, and the solid bottom of the hole takes the effort applied by your hammer. It still pays to support the underside of the shaft/cam when driving the pin out.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
George Andreasen

Post by George Andreasen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:33 am

Well, here's the final result...

First of all, I finally gave up on trying to drive the pins out. Heat, a punch and large hammer had NO effect. Rusted pretty solid, so now we drill them out.

Had to cut the old shaft in order to remove the slow speed cam from the hog's head. Carefully lined everything up in my drill press, center drilled it and began using progressively bigger bits up to 1/4". When I removed the cam from the vise, I was delighted to see that it was an almost perfect job. Easily close enough for the new pin.

The pedal, well, that's another story. Again I lined everything thing up and drilled as before, but this time the exit hole was off by about 1/4 of the pin diameter. Off to the welding shop this morning! I'll have them weld up the off center hole, then wait until my replacement shaft gets here. I'll place the pedal on the shaft and redrill, using the straight hole and shaft hole as drill bushings.

Once I actually install everything again I'll "heat and beat" the ends of both pins. THAT oughta' hold!

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:54 pm

George, that's why I go up in drill sizes in small increments. If you check each hole you can keep track of the drill opening up the side of the pin, and stop before damage is done. I learned this trick by doing as you did,except i was working on a handbrake lever and cross shaft.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic