plug distance in high compression head

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
marinelli
First Name: dino
Last Name: marinelli
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924touring
MTFCA Number: 57014

plug distance in high compression head

Post by marinelli » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:01 pm

Rebuilding my 24 T I opted to install a high compression head. I noticed that the spark plug does not travel down as far on the high compression head as the low compression head. Is this normal? On the low compression head the plug comes flush with the bottom of the head. One the high compression head it sits up approx 1/4 + or-.

Thanks for any help

Dino

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Re: plug distance in high compression head

Post by RichardG » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 pm

DINO, YOU HAVE A FOUR STROKE ENGINE IN A MODEL T, PLUG DEPTH HAS NO BERING ON HOW YOUR ENGINE WILL RUN ,THE INTAKE STROKE, THIS IS WHERE THE GAS IS PULLED INTO THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER, THEN COMPRESSION STROKE TAKES PLACE, THIS COMPRESS'S THE MIXTURE, THE CHAMBER IS FILLED WITH THIS MIXTURE UNDER HIGH PRESSURE, SO NO MATTER WHERE THE PLUG IS LOCATED THE SPARK FROM THE PLUG WILL IGNITE THE MIXTURE, FORCING THE PISTON DOWN, AND ON ITS WAY BACK UP ITS FORCING THE SPENT GAS OUT THE EXHAUST. THIS TAKES PLACE WITH EACH OF THE FOUR CYLINDERS, IN INSTALLING A HIGH COMPRESSION HEAD DID YOU CHECK THE CONDITION OF THE ROD BERGS AND MAINS ? this head will put a heavy load on those parts, if there not in the best of shape.you may also get piston slap if the bores are worn. hope this helps, t---eees are fun.

Topic author
marinelli
First Name: dino
Last Name: marinelli
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924touring
MTFCA Number: 57014

Re: plug distance in high compression head

Post by marinelli » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:43 pm

Thanks Richard, I was not sure about the distance. Regarding my rebuild, everything on this car will be completely rebuilt or restored. Antique engine bearing in Escondido did all the rods and mains. Mesa machine did all the machine work and Ed Katzorke did the transmission and Ruckstell rearend. All new part and pieces from Snyders and Chaffins, the wood in the body was done by The Craftsman Ray Wells and the new wood wheels are done by Daves wood Wheel. Iam just putting the whole thing together. Still have a long way to go but making sure I am doing it right.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic