How to disassemble and reassemble a top socket?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

How to disassemble and reassemble a top socket?

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:21 pm

First, a little history.

IMG_3559 copy 2.JPG
A few years ago I slid off a muddy road and into some branches that broke a top socket. A friend who was an old body man fixed the socket so it looked good as new.

IMG_4067.JPG
But my September trip undid the fix. Bouncing on bad roads and recurrent battering by wind from passing trucks broke the socket at the weak spot where it was broken before.

IMG_4125.JPG
I stopped at the Reddings' place and Bud applied a temporary splint to get me home.

IMG_4571.JPG
That brings us to the question. In October I picked up a new socket at Hershey. But as you see here, it's only the crimped sheet metal tube. I have to use the old hardware from the broken socket.

IMG_4576 copy.JPG
I don't expect any trouble with the riveted parts. I know what to do there. But I'm not clear on how to get the cast base (left) out of the sheet metal part (right) and install it in the new socket (top). I hope somebody with experience on this job can provide some guidance.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: How to disassemble and reassemble a top socket?

Post by Allan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:50 pm

Steve, If I was to tackle the task I would wirebuff/sandblast/handscrape all the paint off the original forged ends to see how the tubes were attached. Then the old tubes can be ground off back to the parent metal of the forgings. Check the fit of your replacement tubes at this stage. Most likely the tubes were bronze welded to the forgings, and I would do the same. I would first use bronze material to "tin" the forgings, so that when the tubes are fitted, all you really need to do is sweat the two pieces together. To this end, there are bronzing alloys made for close tolerance work like this. Sweating bicycle frame tubes and butts together is one similar application. It would not hurt to drill a couple of 1/4" holes in the tubes, a little below the depth of the forgings, so that additional bronze can be flowed down the tubes.

I would cheat a little, and attach the anchor point castings the same way, using the rivets as insurance for the bronzing, and to preserve the original appearance.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:26 pm

IMG_4577 copy.JPG
As Allan suggested, I wire brushed the paint off the joint. It looked like the parts were put together with body solder, not welded or brazed.

IMG_4593 copy.JPG
So today I applied enough heat to melt out the solder and the parts came apart easily. Attaching the new socket to the base will have to wait until I buy more solder.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:48 pm

Might have to wait to save up enough $ to buy a roll of solder. Every time I have to buy another roll it's sticker shock.

Dick

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:34 am

I don't know if this would apply to your situation, but in a recent conversation with RV Anderson he recommended removing the wood filler at the bottom of the sockets and filling them with pourable epoxy. The epoxy is supposed to prevent corrosion and provide additional strength to the tube. Something to consider after you put yours back together.

I wonder if others have done this and what they think of it?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:11 pm

The epoxy filler may be a good idea. I'll look into that.

IMG_4594 copy.JPG
Today's work on this project was attaching the new socket to the base. I slathered flux on the inside of the socket, and on the base stub that fits inside, lined up the two parts, dropped a coiled few inches of solder down into the socket, and applied the heat.

IMG_4595 copy.JPG
The result seems to be a good, solid connection between the two pieces.

IMG_4596 copy.JPG
All the body solder I have left is that little chunk sitting on the vise. It will take more than that to build up the base to the same size as the socket, so this job is on hold for a few days until I get more.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:49 am

Steve, I can see why solder was used. I believe you are working with reproduction top bows. Originals with which I am familiar all have steel castings for the bracketry, rather than the brass your photos show. Consequently, brazing would be the way to go, but not with your brass components.

Silver solder would make for a stronger joint, but that would be somewhat expensive!!!!!

Allan from down under.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 am

Looking good Steve. When I brazed mine I sprinkled some flux around the surfaces and built a cave of fire brick around the standing assembly. This allowed me to heat the parts to an even temperature. I had dropped a brass rod down the tube and eventually the brass flowed into the seam and began showing up outside the tube.
I filed the sleeve rather than filling at the bottom.
Does your assembly have an inner sleeve as well as the seamed sleeve?
I would give the epoxy some thought. I have heard this can make the assembly too rigid. The bow twists and flexes much more than one would think and being rigid all the way up can cause it to crack at the weakest point.
When did I do that?

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:36 am

I believe you are working with reproduction top bows.

That wouldn't surprise me. I'm pretty sure this is a 1970's 1915.

Does your assembly have an inner sleeve as well as the seamed sleeve?

No, it's just base and tube, with nothing inside the tube.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:52 pm

I believe my '15 has the repro top sockets and they work fine. They do have bronze ends. The original irons had the seamed sleeve with an additional inner sleeve that was open and slid inside the seamed sleeve. The pictures in this post show some of that.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1506904799
I doubt if any paint got inside the factory irons. The two layers create a moisture trap probably from condensation and that is why they are often rusted out. My first top was a '25 which I painted and put on the car. One Winter a foot of snow accumulated and the irons collapsed. They were rusted badly but not through and failed where the sheet sleeve meets the forging. Those later irons don't have the inner sleeve and are thicker metal with a butt seam not welded. Old irons may look good but beware.
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic