Accessory Brakes

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Pierre-Yves Smits
First Name: Pierre-Yves
Last Name: Smits
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 runabout

Accessory Brakes

Post by Pierre-Yves Smits » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:54 am

Hello everyone,

Since last summer i am the proud owner of a 1920 runabout in quite original condition, i love to work on the car mechanic. I already checked my rear axle and had to replace the babbitt thrust washers. I also put new brake shoes. I also ordered a new radiator for this summer.

I live in the Belgian Ardennes, wich is quite a hilly region. For now the stock brakes are fine, but i have to say that going downhill for a long time is a bit scary, especially when you have a stop or crossroad at the end. I nerver run faster than 35-40, always use engine brake, transmission brake and finally emergency brake when needed, but i feel that is the transmission brake quits, parking brake will never stop me if needed.

So i would like to buy a set of accessory brakes. I already asked Texas T Parts for a set of disk brakes, but so far no quote received.
I also considered to make my own set installing a 4th pedal and welding rotors on my drums, plus the bracket-caliper thing (if i have the time and money to find someonehelping me with that).
My third option is a set of AC brakes with cables connected to the brake pedal, i heard there is a gentleman in US making repros.

Have someone an advice about my case? I hope my english is not too bad, we are french speakers in this region of Belgium.

Pierre-Yves

Autie
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Keller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1

Re: Accessory Brakes

Post by Autie » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:27 am

Larry Sidmore reproduces the AC brakes. His phone number is (209) 533-9207. I have them displayed on my 27 Touring. Excellent.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:01 am

Pierre-Yves

Larry does make these small drum brakes, you order from him and likely he can help ship export to you, obviously more easily bought in the USA.

And another makes the rods and equalizer assembly, bolt on, without drilling frame. I have this set of attachments and they are well made too.

You will need a modified brake pedal or buy the accessory pedal from Larry too.

923752.jpg
923752.jpg (82.37 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
923753.jpg

My set of Larry's A-C reproduction brakes, the emergency brake shoe is old accessory one-piece steel with new lining.
IMG_0438 (800x600).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:47 am

Richard Baughman makes the linkages for AC brakes.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Pierre-Yves Smits
First Name: Pierre-Yves
Last Name: Smits
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 runabout

Post by Pierre-Yves Smits » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:26 am

Thanks for the information about the AC brakes. I would like to know if Mr Sidmore brakes work only work with Mr. Baughman rods assembly or can also work with cables as i saw on this 1920 advertisement. Do Mr Sidmore have a email adress? i'm not as confident in english by phone as i am by mail.

Pierre-Yves
Attachments
ac brakes.jpg

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:36 am

If you google MTFCA: AC brakes I think you will find previous posts describing how to set them up with a cable linkage.

If you don't find an email address for Larry Sidmore you could send him a letter with your questions and invite him to reply by email.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic