model T values

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jayteeaz
First Name: John
Last Name: Sears
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 50844
Board Member Since: 2020

model T values

Post by jayteeaz » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:41 pm

Hello, new to the forum, new to the Model T world.
Just trying to get a handle on the value of these historic vehicles.
Starting at the top of the line I see that the MTFCA Museum has a pristine 1924 roadster on display.
My question is, if you could buy it and afford it, how much would you pay for it?

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Re: model T values

Post by Bud Delong » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:38 pm

Likely much less than it would cost to build it! Model T values are usually highest for the very early and correct cars. :D Bud.

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Yes the brass era cars 09-16 will be higher than the later T’s 17-27.

You can build a nice pristine T and spend time and money on it. But don’t expect to get more than 2/3rds for it if you want to try to sell it for. You might do most of the work yourself and maybe get close to what you have in it but having it done you won’t.

You can have just as much fun and satisfaction in a nice looking solid driver vs. a pristine museum quality car.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:25 pm

This appears to be a screaming deal and could put you into the hobby at 1/2 of the cost to restore a similar car purchased "cheap" for $4K. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9327

The most expensive T you can afford will turn out to be the cheapest in the end. Hit the road and start having fun immediately.

Every T you find in a garage in a million pieces is usually the guy's first and only T and he wanted to get into the hobby cheaply and then became overwhelmed at the work and costs.

Welcome and good luck!
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:42 pm

I agree with Scott, for your first T, buy a well running car in good condition. You will be able to enjoy it immediately and there will still be plenty to do to in routine maintenance to keep you busy.

Once you are fully familiar and confident working on and operating your first T, THEN you can start tinkering with project cars that need a ton of work. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Steve Hughes
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Hughes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1921 Centerdoor
MTFCA Number: 216
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23070

Post by Steve Hughes » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:43 pm

Scott: I don’t know where you got $4K from. I followed your link, and he is asking $7500.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:00 pm

1/2 of the cost to restore a similar car purchased "cheap" for $4K
meaning, this car at $7500, is 1/2 the cost of the complete restoration of (some other) car purchased for (let's say) $4K.

I guess I could have been more clear the first time around.

Black T prices are trending downward and that is pretty much a reflection in interest in the new collectors coming on scene. For pure fun, they are the bargain of a lifetime.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:29 pm

This is not new, but I think it's still pretty current.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG99.html

A little more about Model T shopping: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG98.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:09 am

Running driving black era 17-25 T can be had between 4500 9500 just a standard ole T
And my advice buy one running driving
To restore one takes a year or more on average
And depending what you start with or needs you'll be upside down realy quick if looking for an investment but fun factor with a T far exceeds monitorty value

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:14 am

Kinda hard to put a general value on T's as a whole. Asking about a specific car or year is a little easier WITH DETAILS about that car. Big name auctions don't really tell the real market. Checking with people or places like Ebay tell a better story of real world prices. Remember asking prices may not be selling prices and some people buy without knowing what market prices are and way over pay market value. Best bet is to view the car yourself and have someone that knows T's look too. Sure with a lot of work you can get the paperwork, but best smartest move is to only buy one that can be registered in your state or if it doesn't, tell the seller no deal till they have verifiable paper work in hand. Let them do the leg work.
Other thing to add, just because someone say it's restored ask for paper work to show work done unless it is a known person that has a good rep. Lots of times people sell what I call Ice Cream Restorations, looks really good on the outside to go get Ice Cream or a car show, but not much done to the mechanical parts or were poorly done. Not saying all, but there are a lot of them out there.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:43 am

Go with a black era car like my 24 Touring. The market is soft for them currently. I'm not sure if it'll stay that way...I'm starting to see a wave of guys in their 20's and 30's showing some interest in them as they look for something vintage and non-digital to play with.

My car was a mess when I bought it, but I didn't pay a lot for it. My approach was a bit unusual in that I wanted something very specific...a rust free car with a nice patinated appearance, and mechanicals that needed attention. I wanted to learn the T by re-doing the mechanicals...which is what I've done. In three years, I've gone through every bit of it mechanically but I'm leaving the weathered looks alone. This approach has kept my costs down but I'm still probably slightly upside down on it as an investment. But that is irrelevent since I intend to keep it and let my heirs do with it what they please.

The advice from the others above is solid. If you're wanting to play with a T, then maybe sell it down the road, buy the best one you can find. Restoring a black car completely would probably cost north of $50K and it'd be worth a fraction of that when you're done.
Attachments
719C883B-B3BB-4403-96E3-46CA17AF5F06.jpeg
1924 Touring

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 pm

jayteeaz wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:41 pm
... Starting at the top of the line I see that the MTFCA Museum has a pristine 1924 roadster on display.
My question is, if you could buy it and afford it, how much would you pay for it?
Hmmm, I guess that I’ll try answering the question asked...
Without seeing the car in question, but because the car is on display in the MTFCA museum, I’ll assume that it is well restored, very clean and reasonably historically accurate, but not necessarily a national award winner. I would probably pay between $12k and $14k (with possible adjustments if my assumptions were not accurate). But then again, a mid black era roadster is not on my short list...

Keep crankin’
Eric

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:27 pm

To double-extra respond to, but not answer the question .... :lol:

.... what I have learned during my tenure in the hobby is that there are so many
variables that need to be defined, in order to establish a very general idea of "value".

A very presentable vehicle may or may not have expensive mechanical work and
upgrades, such as a SCAT crank that may or may not warrant a person spending more,
should such a thing mean something to the buyer.

As others have said, buying a healthy, well done example may cost more up front, but
doing that work upon purchase will prove doubly expensive. So, I guess the first question
one has to ask is what they want, in terms of car ownership and what they will do with it,
and THEN go see what they can find that meets the criteria, and how such examples
generally price out.

My first TT was a hot mess of a project:
25asfound.jpg
But it cost $1000 and the engine was unfrozen. To make it a runner ? Add several times
that number in parts alone.

In the end, I was thinking of my very patient wife, and bought a more turnkey example,
to save her the groan and rolling of the eyes as I took on "another project" :roll:

TT number 2 cost $9K (I think ?), but was a driver from Day One and has been a whole
lot of fun for both myself and that chick of mine. AND I was spared the "not another project!"
stigma that deservedly follows me through life !
26 TT Dec 2014.jpg
Both are essentially the same truck, the difference is condition and work needing to be
done. I have since done a lot of expensive mechanical work to make it very roadworthy
and reliable. But I don't expect it is worth any more than my original purchase price for
all the money I have spent since, which brings us back to what others bring up ... "value".
I wanted THIS truck. .... a C or closed cab, with the factory flatbed. And for that, and all
the fun it has been to have this thing, how much is THAT worth ? As hobbies, especially old
cars, a black era Model T is a very inexpensive way to go.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Topic author
jayteeaz
Last Name: Sears
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 50844
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by jayteeaz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:01 am

Thank you all who responded to my question. You were all pretty much on the same page (it's a cheap investment and the real value of owning a Model T is the enjoyment of driving it and seeing the pleasure it brings when others see it). I believe I hit the jackpot when I recently acquired this National Award winner Model T.
Attachments
Henry 4.JPG
Henry 3.JPG
Henry 2.JPG
Henry 1.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic