WTB - Touring Car--FOUND!

Post complete vehicles for sale here

Topic author
TSteve
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Wirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Presently searching for a driver-quality Touring model.
MTFCA Number: 51835

Post by TSteve » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:02 am

For years I have contemplated buying a "T" and now have my wife's blessings! We are located in the Galveston, TX, area, but will be happy to drive a reasonable distance (vacation?) for the right car. Our ideal T would be a Touring model so we can take the family and still store it in our garage. I have a well-equipped shop and do 99% of my own work since my last name is not Rockefeller. We prefer a car with maple-spoked wheels (pre-1926?). Electric start would be nice but not a deal-breaker. Love to have a brass T but price for such might test my wife's good nature.

Please phone or text SEVEN-1-3-FIVE-1-6-497-EIGHT or e-mail steve65cobra@gmail.com. Thank you.
Last edited by TSteve on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbowen
First Name: Miles
Last Name: Bowen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Express Wagon, 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51651
MTFCI Number: 25343
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: WTB - Touring Car

Post by mbowen » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:25 am

Welcome to the Model T obsession Steve! I’ve only been in it a few months myself. Just a suggestion: I found both of my T’s in the Model T Classifieds on Facebook.
Attachments
1566E0B6-8DB5-4CFB-B466-6F4F38C55E68.jpeg
Miles
1924 Touring “Bonnie”
1925 Express Wagon “Clyde”

Topic author
TSteve
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Presently searching for a driver-quality Touring model.

Post by TSteve » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:21 am

Thank you, Miles. I probably should join FB, or is it now called Meta, but I have resisted so. I won't bore you or everyone else with my reasons but suffice to say I value my privacy. A friend of mine in Indiana has mentioned he has found an interesting car or two on FB Marketplace but that still was not enough for me to change my mind. Call me old-fashioned, old school, or any name in the book, but NEVER EVER call me late for dinner. Seriously, though, I'm going to be patient and keep my eyes and ears open. Now that I think about it, I might ask some of my friends who "live" on FB to keep their eyes open, too.

Topic author
TSteve

Post by TSteve » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:25 am

By the way, Miles, I wanted to compliment you on the clever names for your two T's...Bonnie & Clyde! What a handsome couple!

mbowen

Post by mbowen » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:14 am

Steve, I understand your issue with Facebook; I have a love/hate relationship with it myself.

As far as the car names go, I’m also into Cessnas and Mr. Cessna’s first name was Clyde. The Express Wagon Clyde came first, so when his partner came along, the name Bonnie just seemed to fit. Back in the 80’s I had a pair of dogs named using the same line of thinking. :)

Good luck with your search!
Miles
1924 Touring “Bonnie”

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:29 pm

Most black model t's have a starter by now. The desire for natural finished wheels is another story. Painted wheels can be stripped with a lot of work.
Be patient, you will find a car.
Art Mirtes

Topic author
TSteve

Post by TSteve » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:54 am

Thank you, Art. There are many things I've learned from being a graduate of the School of Hard Knocks:

1) Trust in the big Guy upstairs (not sure how this site deals with religion, but y'all know what I'm talkin' about).
2) Act in haste and you shall repent at leisure (quote from my ol' friend Dan).
3) You get what you pay for.
4) Patience is a virtue but he who hesitates is lost.
5) Be grateful for what you have.
6) Every time I have purchased a car it is a sure bet a "better deal" or a car in better condition will come along shortly thereafter. Re-read #5 above and move on.

So much for today's "Pearls of Wisdom". My wife and I know what we want (black Touring model with wood-spoked wheels in driving condition). I enjoy wrenching on my cars and will be depending heavily upon every resource available--fellow members of the Space City T (our local club), books, internet videos, and of course, the T Community at large.

Topic author
TSteve

Post by TSteve » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:50 am

FOUND! Many thanks to the MTFCA community for your words of support and offers. I have found and agreed to purchase a beautiful 1924 Touring model and look forward to sharing my experiences with y'all in the future.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: WTB - Touring Car--FOUND!

Post by CudaMan » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Congratulations! Can't wait to see some pictures. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:48 pm

Just dropped off … 👀

FJ

064D82B7-6909-4661-BD41-996825456830.jpeg
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Art M

Post by Art M » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:28 pm

Thanks for the picture. I met freighter about 4 years ago when Tim Wrenn sold his 20 roadster.
I am sure you will enjoy driving and maintaining the T.

Steve, I am fascinated with your last name.
Yours is Wirtes
Mine is Mirtes
My grandfather came from Asteria--Hungary in 1885.

Keep us informed

Art Mirtes

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:21 pm

Hi Art 👋

Of course as soon as it came off the trailer …
There was work to be done … 💪

FJ

AE515BAF-5605-4320-98BF-140433F6B2A5.jpeg

Art M

Post by Art M » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:20 pm

Were you in the tool box to reorgonize it. Hope it wasn't to silent a talking rod or a replenish a bare transmission band.
I had both of these problems when I bought mine 45 yeara ago, but then drove it for 17 years without any trouble. This was before there was the assistance like is available today.
Art Mirtes

Topic author
TSteve

Post by TSteve » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:00 am

Hi Art,

Sorry I'm not the most responsive when it comes to forums as I don't check them every day. Yes, I noticed the similarity in our names' spelling. My father's side of the family came here some time in the 1800's but I do not know exactly when...I must check with my uncle as he spent a lot of time dong the research. Last I recall it was from an area then-called Slovakia which, according to Wiki, is "bordered by Poland to the north, Ukraine to the east, Hungary to the south Austria to the southwest, and the Czech Republic to the northwest" and is a landlocked country. Makes sense since my mother's paternal side is from Hungary (and her maternal side being from Germany and Norway). I always kid my friends as my last name translated from German is "tavern-owner or inn keeper"--perhaps why I enjoy brewing and consuming beer?

What I have found interesting is the company I work employs many VERY talented machinists and engineers from Germany and eastern Europe. For some unknown reason we all seem to have a natural chemistry and get along very well, not to mention all of us having a knack for all things technical. Now that I'm reflecting on my past and the weather turning cooler, I might have to make up a batch of my mom's recipe for stuffed cabbage and stuffed green peppers--something which the folks from Poland called "golabki/golumpki/gwumpki"--and it is my all-time favorite comfort food.

Back to the T...I cannot thank George, the previous owner/caretaker of my T, his son, Jimmy, and Karl (now-deceased owner of the car prior to George) for the love and TLC they obviously showered on the T. I refer myself as the "owner/caretaker" for each of my cars as I consider them rolling art which I wish pass along to younger enthusiasts (including my two sons) down the road. Classic cars are definitely a vehicle (pun intended) for us to meet new people afflicted with the same passion whom we might not meet under normal circumstances. I look forward with great anticipation to making new friends and participating in T activities!

Topic author
TSteve

Post by TSteve » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:06 am

As I re-read the beginning of this string, I noticed Miles has a passion for flying. Another coincidence? First plane I ever flew was a 1946 Piper Cub back when we could fly for $7.00 wet!

mbowen

Post by mbowen » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:47 am

TSteve wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:06 am
As I re-read the beginning of this string, I noticed Miles has a passion for flying. Another coincidence? First plane I ever flew was a 1946 Piper Cub back when we could fly for $7.00 wet!
I believe there are several more on these forums with the same dual affliction. I know that OldAviator still has an Aeronca Champ. My first ride in an airplane was also in a J-3 Cub at the ripe old age of three, though it was probably a bit older than a 1946 as Dad had converted it from the military version, an L-4. In the early 1980’s I was in a flying club that had a 1946 J-3 we rented for $9.50/hr wet.
Miles
1924 Touring “Bonnie”

Topic author
TSteve

Post by TSteve » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:22 am

Miles, sounds about right. I began flying in 1971 I believe at the ripe young age of 16.

And as a quick follow-up, I must give a shout out to Tony and Bobby of the Space City T's for their invaluable help, assistance, and coaching yesterday! What a memorable day...not only my first drive in a T, but with yours truly at the helm (and Tony hanging on to the parking brake/neutral lever while crouched down on the driver side running board) it was my first "ride", too!

FreighTer Jim

Post by FreighTer Jim » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:32 pm

C29D615A-FB88-4DA0-B641-4939D570FC2D.jpeg

4B6C2D6F-E578-4958-A9EB-8095E69DD3AF.jpeg

FJ

Art M

Post by Art M » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:00 pm

I am not into flying, but I was as a child, which involved building stick kits and flying .049 planes. At 12 while hanging around the local airport one day, I met and made friends with a kid my age. His father offered me a ride to Put-In-Bay, an island about 45 miles,away. Wasn't famiar but sounded good with me. I went with their family and had a good time. When I got home, I told my parents what a good time I had. They were happy that I experience it.
My first commercial flight was in a Ford Tri Motor in 1969 to and from Put In Bay. I was in the co pilot seat and was advised to not put my arm out the window because the prop is closer than it looks.
Several members in our local model t club have airplanes
One has two air strips, several planes, and a Bell helicopter.
The other one is "Engine Joe" Bell, the engine rebuilder.
Art Mirtes

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:15 am

Stephen, ír you look at the names on this website, there are a lot of Hungarians and or originating from Eastern Europe. Welcome to the affliction.
I spent some time with the model T club in Hungary this summer. You will see the article in the next Vintage magazine coming out pretty soon. I am also in touch with several model T people in Europe and particularly in Prague, Check Republic.
The people on this forum will give you the best help on any and all problems or concerns in keeping your new toy healthy. Have a great time and read the forum regularly to learn all about the peculiarities of the model T.
My name translates from Transylvania is beer maker.
It was part of Hungary before world war 2.
Frank

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic