WTB TT axle sleeves, 2 right and 2 left

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

WTB TT axle sleeves, 2 right and 2 left

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:18 am

I need four TT axle sleeves for the outer ends of the rear axle. The new ones sold do not have the grease hole or dimple. My attempts at modifying the new ones were not successful.

If you have four TT rear axle sleeves with the grease holes and dimples for sale, two left and two right, I am interested.

Thanks,

Tom
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: WTB TT axle sleeves, 2 right and 2 left

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:38 pm

Are you doing two rear ends?
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Raoul von S.
First Name: Raoul
Last Name: Vaughn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 truck

Post by Raoul von S. » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:39 pm

Got a photo of what you are looking for ?
"Working today, for a seamless tomorrow"

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:33 pm

Lang's Item Number: 1020

Their catalog says, "Axle outer bearing sleeve for Ton Truck, 2 per car, sold each.
Fits both right and left sides. The Hole for the grease cup and the locating dimple are not in the sleeve."

I can not find a vendor who sells them pre-drilled and with the dimple.

I am doing two TT rear axles with 5:1 gears and Ruckstells. I have good hyatt bearings, but I need the sleeves. I may end up buying the sleeves without the holes and dimples and getting a machine shop to fix them.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:59 pm

You can weld a bump on the sleeve for the dimple. As far as the hole goes, they are hardened so may be a bit more problematic.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:32 am

Mark Gregush wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:59 pm
You can weld a bump on the sleeve for the dimple. As far as the hole goes, they are hardened so may be a bit more problematic.
I tried all that. The dimple is easy, weld and file to size. The hole is doable, but it burns up the best of bits. The result can be installed, but the hyatt bearing does not go in, it is just a hair too big in diameter. I think the sleeve is just a little out of round from being held in a vice to drill the hole. If out-of-round it will not be good for the hyatt bearing even if I get the bearing to go in.

Bottom line, I sure would like to find four sleeves that don't need to be drilled for sale.

Does anyone have four sleeves for sale?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:04 am

Here is one I drilled and dimpled. It inserts no problem and is fairly easy to remove. But a hyatt bearing will not go in. Out-of-round? The walls look thinker than the walls on an original one, maybe it is not the correct size internally once installed? Or maybe slightly out-of-round due to being put in a vice for drilling. I have put a lot of work into this and finagled with it, I can't make the ones I drilled and dimpled work correctly. I am tired of screwing around with these.

Does anyone have four correct TT rear axle sleeves for sale, two left and two right?
Attachments
DSC06434.JPG
DSC06435.JPG

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:05 pm

You have to put the sleeves in a vise the long way and clamp them by their ends gently. They will have to be drilled in a drill press or milling machine. You should be able to drill them with a cobalt drill. You only have to make the hole large enough to get grease in. 1/4” hole would be fine so long as you can line it up. You should use a stubby drill or start with a centering drill. The vise may have distorted the sleeve, but the welding might have distorted it too. Make sure the grease cups don’t bottom against the sleeve. I think the major reason the dimple is in the sleeve is so that the average mechanic could get the split oriented in the proper position. It would be an interesting experiment to install sleeves with no dimples and just check them periodically to see if they creep at all. Checking them occasionally would be easy. Just poke something into the grease cup to make sure the hole in the sleeve is still lined up (or for that matter; if you can't get any grease to go in, then the sleeve may have moved. Of course, a smaller than usual hole would mean you can’t use a regular puller to remove the sleeve...

I hope you can find the parts you’re looking for, but maybe this will help if you have to take another shot at the repros.

Scott Gilham
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Gilham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 TT

Post by Scott Gilham » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:38 pm

I'll see what I can round up tomorrow.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:17 am

Adam wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:05 pm
You have to put the sleeves in a vise the long way and clamp them by their ends gently. They will have to be drilled in a drill press or milling machine. You should be able to drill them with a cobalt drill. You only have to make the hole large enough to get grease in. 1/4” hole would be fine so long as you can line it up.

Of course, a smaller than usual hole would mean you can’t use a regular puller to remove the sleeve...
Really good advice. I did not realize that the sleeves needed to be clamped by the ends. And I don't have a puller that will work with 1/4", I think I figured 31/64 was as small as I could go.

The attached picture has cobalb bits I used, and they are not cheap. And a sleeve about halfway done. I won't try this project again, I will go to a machine shop. Or hopefully find some that are old and still in good shape.
Attachments
DSC06189.JPG
DSC06190.JPG

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:19 am

Scott Gilham wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:38 pm
I'll see what I can round up tomorrow.
That would be greatly appreciated!

Scott Gilham

Post by Scott Gilham » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 pm

OK Tom, Pulled sleeves out of 4 set's of housings. I've got pic's of the best 2 pair. I hope the pic's show you what you need to see.
Attachments
TT sleve-4.JPG
TT sleve-3.JPG
TT sleve-2.JPG
TT sleve-1.JPG

Scott Gilham

Post by Scott Gilham » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:30 pm

Here are 4 more views
Attachments
TT sleve-8.JPG
TT sleve-7.JPG
TT sleve-6.JPG
TT sleve-5.JPG

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:33 am

PM sent!

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks Scott! And thanks MTFCA.

Scott Gilham

Post by Scott Gilham » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:05 am

Thanks Tom! And Thanks MTFCA!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic