WTB Truck Title

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

WTB Truck Title

Post by tom_strickling » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:45 pm

If anyone out there has a good "extra" MODEL T TRUCK OR TT title, please email me at strickstuff this is a ya hoo account.

THANK YOU.
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Re: WTB Truck Title

Post by Chris Haynes » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Why not just apply for a title?

FATMAN
First Name: ROBERT
Last Name: BERGSTADT
MTFCA Number: 1575

Post by FATMAN » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:37 pm

I have one, Bob

Topic author
tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:02 pm

Bob,
I sent you a PM
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:45 pm

I thought selling titles was illegal?
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:00 pm

It’s only illegal if you don’t get caught is the way some people see it.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:13 pm

I looked into all kinds of options about titleing my T. I finally got up the nerve to speak to a Dmv officer. I ask, "I have built a Model T Ford from parts and I would like to get it road legal,what do I do?" He gave me the inspectors name and number,and explained a few things and told me it would take roughly 30 days. Which they are correct if I could have hauled it for appraisels this week.
I had to haul it to the inspectors office,the inspector debated with his boss about it and it is being titled as a Replica because of multiable years parts like the 26 axle,23 engine.My fault for being a tad to honest I guess.
Anyway, a vin is attached and after 2 appraisals,a indemity bond will be set,I can get a title,and a tag,and DRIVE IT without having to look over my shoulder for Barney.Which I must also admit,I have experiance in doing for about a 3 mile each way stretch once in a while. :roll:
IF I had bought a out of state title for example,to get it in my name,a inspection from the same guy I dealt with would be needed.
And trust me,he carrys a big gun. Here I would be with a 26 Sedan title,trying to title a pickup. He woulda caught on real quick.THe more fibs you tell trying to cover your tracks, the deeper your hole,and as a fellow found out a few months ago,you just might loose the car for a while or for good until they figure out what is going on and perhaps some criminal charges.
I don't have enough pull with anybody to be able to meet on their lunch break at the corner and get a signature or something along that line. So I must admit,this kind of thing gets my goat for sure now that I am going thru the legit means of titleing a vehical.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Layden Butler
First Name: Layden
Last Name: Butler

Post by Layden Butler » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:22 pm

Here in California, the selling of a "Title Certificate" is just like selling any other old piece of paper as an historical document. The trying to use it to register a vehicle however is fraud.

Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:16 am

When dealing with the motor vehicle NEVER EVER TELL THEM A VEHICLE WAS BUILT FROM PARTS.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:41 am

I did that not once but twice Chris..., Big ouch on fees!

Hank

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:01 am

Chris Haynes wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:16 am
When dealing with the motor vehicle NEVER EVER TELL THEM A VEHICLE WAS BUILT FROM PARTS.
That does not apply to all states. The only way I could get a Nebraska title was to apply under the "Assembled Classic Vehicle" statute. The law states that the parts must come from various vehicles, not just one. I also needed notarized and itemized bills of sale for the major components, which I was fortunate to get

tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Post by tdump » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:27 pm

Well I felt like it was best to be upfront as I do not want to miss represent the truck even after I keel over.
I would hate for someone to buy it 20 years from now at my estate sale and get screwed thinking it was a original.

Mustang1964s
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Bourgeois
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1926
MTFCA Number: 29784
MTFCI Number: 22970
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Mustang1964s » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Getting a title requires a lot of leg work and an bunch of dimes.
My first call was the tax office to find out what paperwork they needed and followed the trail back wards.
I had the car registered in about 2 weeks.
The folks I talked to were more than willing to give me the all the information that I needed.
I pleaded ignorance from the beginning and take copious notes.
One wanted a ride when I got it on the road. I think it reminded him of his grandfather.
Just have patience and don't get short.
Don't skip a step.
Our title is bonded for three years, then I can get a regular title.

Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:53 pm

In CA you fill out the Application for title or registration. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai ... reg/reg343
Assuming that the vehicle isn't registered to anyone you then bring it in for serial number verification. The vehicle must be complete for this process although it doesn't need to be running. They may refer you to the Highway Patrol for verification. This is not a problem either.
In the unlikely even the vehicle is registered to someone you then do a lien sale for storage fees. There are companies that will do your lien sale for you for a fee. In Los Angeles I use Grant Lien Sales. Once again the vehicle will need to be Brought in for serial number verification.
All in all not a difficult process and now you have the actual title for your vehicle and not some phantom vehicle.
Once again YOU NEVER EVER TELL THEM THE VEHICLE WAS ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS. That will open a can of worms and cause you endless grief. Keep it simple. Do not volunteer any information. Simply answer any questions they may ask. If asked where I got the vehicle I say it was on my property when I bought it.

tdump

Post by tdump » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:42 am

So far I aint spent a dime but 1 place I called for a apprasial wants a 100 bucks! The fellow I went to yesterday,free of charge,he said it does to help folks that usually come back later to sell a car or buy a car.It helps him bring in bussiness and with advertising.
I got a number to a state certified apprasier yesterday evening.
Where the cost will begin is the actual bond and then the title fees. But the bond is really the only extra exspense.My car insurance folks offer bonding service just down the road and the agent said,around a 100 bucks.
In a ideal world we could trust each other and alot of this leg work would not be needed.But I know of a case going on right now with a Dodge charger that was stolen after it was wrecked,and it suddenly showed up in the back yard of a local drug dealer about 4 years later. The owner is dealing with the same inspector i did.I would NOT want this guy after me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic