Topic author
MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Coil Tester - New

Post by MKossor » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:43 am

Brand New ECCT coil tester - This tool has earned the reputation as the New Standard for testing and adjusting Model T coils. The ECCT Actually measures how long it takes the coil to fire spark (Not coil current!). All coils can be precisely adjusted for equal firing time to minimize cylinder to cylinder ignition timing variation for optimal engine performance. Check out the website for more information: www.modeltecct.com
ECCT with Coil.jpg
The New 3 in 1 coil adjusting tool simplifies point adjustment. All the tools you need to increase or decrease cushion spring tension or vibrator spring tension are all in 1 tool.
3 in 1 Coil Adjusting Tool.jpg
For more information, visit: http://shop.modeltetimer.com/3-in-1-Coi ... DJTOOL.htm
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Coil Tester - New

Post by Quickm007 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:50 am

Hi Mike, I like your new 3 in 1 coil adjusting tool. Good idea. Keep your good work. Our T hobby need guy like you.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks for your comments Mario, appreciate the feedback.

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:25 pm

Its coil maintenance and rebuilding season. Don't forget to set your points back to spec :-)

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:29 pm

ECCT vs HCCT.JPG

The difference between an Engine that Runs and an Engine that Runs well is coils adjusted for equal and consistent firing Time.

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:48 am

New Year Resolution Suggestion: Learn how to Test and Adjust Model T coils.
(for equal and consistent firing Time using the ECCT)

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:46 pm

It would be a great Xmas present. Order yours now.

Poppie
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 tourer 18 tourer 18 TT

Post by Poppie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:44 am

Mikes question.
What's the simple difference between a HCCT and an ECCT ???
My thoughts !!! I am on the chopping block..
A HCCT is designed to adjust Model T coils to fire the cylinder combustion gasses at a pre-determened piston position either before or after TDC by a variable voltage and varying frequency alternating current (AC) power supply, say a Model T magneto.
The ECCT is a device that operates on a fixed direct current (DC) supply usually, say an internal electronic DC power pack.
Ideally used for adjusting model t type ignition coils for battery powered Model T Fords and speedsters that seem to use a higher primary current for a more advanced timing solutions.......N..

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:55 am

Neil, as you are aware, I explained the misnomer about using AC (HCCT) versus DC (ECCT) as the preferred stimulus for adjusting coils in detail back in this thread.

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... es#p115785

Keep in mind the AC current does NOT reverse direction during each coil firing (same as a DC pulse). Yes, the polarity and current direction does change alternately with successive coil firings BUT that has no significant impact on the Time it takes the coil to fire spark regardless of current direction through the coil winding.

Adjusting coils using Current as an indirect approximation of firing Time is far better than adjusting coils by ear or on a buzzbox trster, no question. However, there is no better way of adjusting coils for equal and consistent firing Time than by actually Measuring firing Time using a fast pulse of electricty (regardless of pulse polarity) in my experience based on the data I recorded and would be happy to share. I would be very interested in reviewing your data if it supports a different conclusion.

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:55 pm

The HCCT does not tell you the capacitor is bad, but it is always bad with original coils.

That probably was not a problem 60 years ago when the HCCT was new and top driving speeds were 20 MPH.

Coils seem to operate with no capacitor, but the points don't seem to last very long.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:41 pm

This would certainly make someone a nice Christmas gift. I know I really enjoy mine!
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:32 am

Coils seem to operate with no capacitor, but the points don't seem to last very long.
Coils with no capacitor (or bad capacitor with little to no value) are vulnerable to point arcing as the contacts break (open). The situation is similar to arc welding where the operator strikes the work with welding rod (i.e. closed contacts) then draws the rod away from the work slowly to draw the arc and begin welding. Similarly, the point contacts are subject to arcing as the contacts open with the transfer of metal from one contact and deposition onto the other while introducing carbonization and oxidization of the contacts which further degrade coil point operation. Unlike arc welding, however, the point contacts continue to separate widely until the arc eventually ceases. The consequence of this widening arc is a continuation of coil current with slowly decreasing value. When the arc finally ceases, the coil current reaches a value that is usually so low that the resulting collapse of the magnetic field is too weak to produce the high voltage necessary for electrons to jump the spark plug gap. In summary: No capacitor = no spark or very weak spark

The purpose of the capacitor is to continue the coil current flow through it instead of the points as the point contacts open. There are no significant voltage at the point contacts to produce an arc as the capacitor charges and the points begin physical separation. A very short time later (on the order of 0.000002 seconds) the capacitor becomes fully charged and can no longer pass current through it. Coil current rapidly decreases and the magnetic field collapses. This causes a voltage to build up across the coil points very rapidly BUT the contacts are now physically separated from one and another making it more difficult for electrons to jump the gap and produce an arc. The primary winding voltage builds rapidly to a high value (on the order of 250V to 300V) as the magnetic field collapses and in turn induces a very high voltage in the coil secondary winding through transformer action. How high the secondary voltage gets depends largely on the primary to secondary coil winding ratio; 1:80 for a typical Model T coil. The secondary voltage can be estimated by multiplying the primary voltage by the turns ratio, for example: 250V x 80 = 20,000 Volts which is more enough to jump a 0.025" spark plug gap under compression of 60 psi (~8,650V)

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:33 pm

Still time for another New Year Resolution: Learn the art of coil testing and adjusting and keep your Model T running at peak performance year round.

WARNING!: Proficient knowledge and skills of Model T coil adjusting with the ECCT can be habbit forming. Incidences of increased popularity with requests for assistance from other club members; and in rare cases, complete strangers has been reported. People with a history of helping others enjoy the Model T hobby should give special consideration before acquiring an ECCT and learning the art of coil adjusting. Checking with your significant other to see if your time adjusting coils will be well tolerated is recommended. ;) Happy New Year All!

Lawrence
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Lawrence
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 fordor sedan,1927 fordor sedan. 1922 tourer, 1913 torpedo roadster pickup
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Lawrence » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:41 pm

Hi, i would l8ke to purchase a coil tester and program off you please, i have tried on your website, but it demands a state, as i am in new zealand. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Chris Lawrence

Topic author
MKossor

Post by MKossor » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi Chris, the website is not set up for international orders. Just send me an email ( mictel@comcast.net ) stating what you would like and shipping address you would like it sent and I will provide you a shipping quote with instructions for placing your order.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic