WTB 1927/27 Transmission brake drum and driving plate.

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
Barth_Tool_Co
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Alvord
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Touring

WTB 1927/27 Transmission brake drum and driving plate.

Post by Barth_Tool_Co » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:37 am

Looking for a good usable 1926/27 transmission brake drum and driving plate.

My parts are shot and not suitable for rebuild.
... and my number is Beechwood 4-5789
1926 Touring - "Corrina"

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: WTB 1927/27 Transmission brake drum and driving plate.

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:07 pm

Jason

while not cheap, new drums are gorgeous and I personally feel they are a great value. You can send the mfg your assembly to have the drum shaft removed and have it riveted onto a brand new drum. This will keep your low drum bushing matched to the brake drum as these more often than not are not worn to the point of needing replacement. This way you avoid buying someone else's problem.

If you are intent to buy a used drum, try to stick to a T forum like you are, and try to avoid eBay. An awful lot of junk drive-line parts get passed off as servicable there, by people who often simply don't care (I know there are reputable people selling on eBay, but a larger % there are stinkers compared to here). Folks here typically are more knowledgeable and responsive to problems after a sale, should a problem arise.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:39 pm

Jason, I should have what you need.
I will have to look as soon as I can, maybe tomorrow if I have time. I will send you some pics when I do. I have your email still I believe.
I have decent used clutch plates too, if you're interested.

Thanks Dave

Topic author
Barth_Tool_Co
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Alvord
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Touring

Post by Barth_Tool_Co » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:05 pm

Scott_conger wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:07 pm
Jason

while not cheap, new drums are gorgeous and I personally feel they are a great value. You can send the mfg your assembly to have the drum shaft removed and have it riveted onto a brand new drum. This will keep your low drum bushing matched to the brake drum as these more often than not are not worn to the point of needing replacement. This way you avoid buying someone else's problem.

If you are intent to buy a used drum, try to stick to a T forum like you are, and try to avoid eBay. An awful lot of junk drive-line parts get passed off as servicable there, by people who often simply don't care (I know there are reputable people selling on eBay, but a larger % there are stinkers compared to here). Folks here typically are more knowledgeable and responsive to problems after a sale, should a problem arise.
That's a good point Scott.

I measured the shaft on mine after I pulled the gear and I got 1.653" where the gear fits, 1.651" lower down where the center drum rides on the shaft. Is that excessive wear for the brake drum shaft?
... and my number is Beechwood 4-5789
1926 Touring - "Corrina"

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:03 pm

Jason

I'm afraid I do not have that information at my fingertips...sorry. I responded to you on another thread regarding telescoping gages..take a look. Anyway, I'd be inclined to measure the low drum bushings and see what the total clearance is (difference of brake drum shaft and low drum bushing). Once you know that value, you can make an informed decision. I say this because it is one thing to have every vintage and modern tool necessary to pull off a professional transmission rebuild that will run quietly and perform nicely. For the amature builder it is quite another matter to do a credible rebuild with "perfect" clearances built in. Amature rebuilds that are a little loose can run for many many thousands of miles, quite quietly. There are also amature rebuilds that keep all tolerances in spec, but maybe achieved through less than perfect set ups. These can run well, too, but can be noisy as all getout!. A tad loose is not always bad. Please know that my term "amature" is not a perjorative, but meant to differentiate between paying a professional to do it and doing it yourself. Keep at it. You'll be fine.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

SVibert
First Name: Spencer
Last Name: Vibert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 touring

Post by SVibert » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:47 pm

Jason I have what you need send me an email at svibert102@gmail.com thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic