Jtray26
First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Ray
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 runabout
MTFCA Number: 50192
Board Member Since: 2018

WTB good spring perches and wishbone

Post by Jtray26 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:01 am

This is my first attempt at posting on the new forum...Here goes! We’ve started restoring the ‘16 runabout. I’m going to try to put together a chronical on the other forum when I get time. The front axle appears to be original, and it is in very good condition. But, it has at some point over the years been “converted” to an under mount wishbone. They used the original spindles and spindle arms, so clearance between the tie rod and wishbone was tight! I suppose they broke a spring perch at some point and improvised. Anyway, I’m in need of a good set of over mount spring perches and a proper wishbone. Anybody have a spare they would part with?

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Re: WTB good spring perches and wishbone

Post by Ruxstel24 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:15 pm

Hi Tyler, welcome !!
I probably have what you need.
You do realize that it's a lot safer to run a later wishbone that mounts under the axle.
Unless you have to have originality, I would keep what you have and make the steering linkage clear.
Some people run the upper mount style and add another underneath...
Dave

Topic author
Jtray26

Post by Jtray26 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:48 pm

Dave, thank you! I would like the car to be correct, at least for a little while after it’s finished. I will probably convert it back after we start doing some touring, but it will be comforting to have the correct parts on hand. I would say the weaker “over the axle” arrangement probably caused a failure which ultimately led the folks who owned the car to convert it. Thanks to some other members of the club and forum, I have some good later model spindles and curved spindle arms to use when we start driving it a lot, which should solve the clearance problem.

Please email me at tyler.ray.law@gmail.com so we can get together on the details. Thanks again!

Tyler

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Tyler

The undermount, later style axle is indeed safer. However there are very significant numbers of originally built early axles in use everyday, without failure. I am aware of a number of serious and sometimes fatal accidents in T's, but none that I am aware of in recent history related to a failure of the radius rod on eary cars. A really good read here in fact does list several failures and some work arounds...while there have been accidents with the old design, an internet search will yield far more broken (rear) axles, etc than folded axles: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/11 ... 1281199176

Our roads and the dynamic forces on the suspension are quite different than what was typically experienced in early days. They are weaker but there is in my mind, no statistically significant risk of failure of this system that exceeds risks associated with other system failures on a T that would preclude my using one. Now, for a reasonable approach toward increasing the safety factor, there are several versions of period reinforcement arms that make over/under attachment. You can also buy the same as new parts from vendors. I think that is a reasonable alternative to wholesale scrapping of early parts. With these accessories put into use there is NO reason to update a nice early car to a later version.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Jtray26

Post by Jtray26 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:10 pm

Thank you Scott. I want the car to be as correct as possible when it is finished. They cranked out thousands with the “over mount” setup, and I would say most of them worked just fine until the parts wore out and suitable replacements weren’t available. Hopefully I can find some suitable replacements for ours! I have been looking at some methods of bracing the wishbone with under mounted straps...

Burlingtontguy
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Michaud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 roadster, 1911 mother-in-law, 1912 torpedo, 1912 touring
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Burlingtontguy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:32 pm

I have a pair of early perches and a wishbone , Dennis

Topic author
Jtray26

Post by Jtray26 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi Dennis. I sent you a PM. Thanks,

Tyler

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:15 am

Emailed some pics of the threads to you, Ron.

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 pm

Oops, I mean Tyler...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic