Wtb, moore, or other rear mounted transmission.

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
Matt_A_1926
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Atchinson

Wtb, moore, or other rear mounted transmission.

Post by Matt_A_1926 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 am

Been on the lookout for a moore or any other make of auxiliary transmission that mounts just in front of the differential. Looking for a 3 speed or 2 speed direct and over drive. I plan to mate it with my Ruckstell.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett

Re: Wtb, moore, or other rear mounted transmission.

Post by Allan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Matt, I have never come across a Moore overdrive gearbox. They can be put in in reverse to give an overdrive, but 50% is way too big a step. They can be used with a 3:1 crown wheel and pinion set, but there is a special trick involved in being able to assemble this combination.
Allan from down under.

Layden Butler
First Name: Layden
Last Name: Butler

Post by Layden Butler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:34 pm

As I remember the side of the Moore case has a cast rectangular pad that might have been for the serial number and a letter to indicate over or under drive. Yes the 2 have different gears.

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Yes Allan you are correct about using 3:1 gears and a Moore. Because the 3:1 pinion is to big to go into the assembled rear axle housings and the drive shaft rear bearing spool, (which was a closed spool when the Moore was designed), mounts to the back plate of the Moore, that mounts to the Moore case you basically have to assemble things back to front. As Layden says the Moore cases were marked with a letter in front of the serial number, a U for under drive and a O for over drive. I have only seen one Moore case marked with a O, and it was by its self in a pile of parts, the gears were long gone. Matt you might consider using a KC or original aluminium case Warford with your Ruckstell with stock 3.63:1 gears.

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:30 pm

Moore under drive case UD-1996
Attachments
Back side of case, towards rear end.
Back side of case, towards rear end.
Front side of case, towards engine.
Front side of case, towards engine.
Moore-Case-picture2.JPG
Moore-Case-picture1.JPG

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:37 pm

I have had a couple Moore transmissions over the years. All of them were under-drives. I did know of one that was an overdrive, and the fellow that had it LOVED it! Universal built a very nice two speed (most were all bronze housings!), and they made more of the overdrives than Moore did. I had a Universal direct/overdrive years ago, and it was wonderful! Universal and Rocky Mountain both made three speed progressive shift transmissions which had under, direct, and overdrive. These were really nice. I really wish I could get a couple more of them. They were amazingly easy to shift, however, they did have on silly quirk. They had not one, but TWO neutrals to get stuck in! All kidding aside, they actually shifted so easily that approaching a stop, you could downshift from overdrive, slip right through direct, and end up in under-drive! The only real difficulty really was that if you missed a shift, wondering where you were and deciding whether to shift up or down?
On any of these type transmissions, some sort of added braking of some type is NECESSARY! It really doesn't take a lot. GOOD lined inside brake shoes properly adjusted and maintained so that they can reliably be USED is adequate (barely!). I have had a couple Ts set up that way. I cannot over-stress the "PROPERLY adjusted and Maintained" part of that.

shirleysboy
First Name: Marvin
Last Name: Miller
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by shirleysboy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:51 pm

Wayne, are you wanting to buy another Moore Transmission? Marvin Miller, Nampa, Idaho

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic