Adjustable Pinion Bearing Assembly Availability ???

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
henryford2
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Andulics
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 Truck, 1927 Roadster GOW, RAJO Sprint car
MTFCA Number: 9766

Adjustable Pinion Bearing Assembly Availability ???

Post by henryford2 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:00 am

My go to vendors (Langs & Chaffins) do not have these in stock and when they'll become available is unclear. Snyders (another go to vendor) does have the "new" assembly (that does not need a core). Question is, am I missing anyone when it comes to wanting to use a "modified original" assembly, or is this just another example of the current reality when it comes to new Model T parts? Thanks

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Adjustable Pinion Bearing Assembly Availability ???

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:30 am

When I talked to Dave at Chaffins, they needed to get more bearings. Their current stock was low or out, but I was asking about the non adjustable type.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:02 pm

henryford2 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:00 am
My go to vendors (Langs & Chaffins) do not have these in stock and when they'll become available is unclear. Snyders (another go to vendor) does have the "new" assembly (that does not need a core). Question is, am I missing anyone when it comes to wanting to use a "modified original" assembly, or is this just another example of the current reality when it comes to new Model T parts? Thanks
Another original Fun Projects item in the capable hands of Birdhaven out of supply. So try the source of supply, Birdhaven, be nice to whomever answers the phone because if I worked there I'd be a bit upset trying to answer the "when question" for all the out-of-stock items they don't have. Ask for a catalog too while your on the phone. There have been some discussion on the forum that the non-adjustable ones are as easy to install. The Texas T site has the same instructions either kit http://www.texastparts.com/mm5/manuals/T2583-AB.pdf
Attachments
pinion.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:23 pm

The reality is this last year caused a lot of disruptions in most every companies that deals with getting repo parts, machine work and etc done. Some companies in the northeast that build replacement parts for modern cars shut down during the pandemic and maybe just lately they have trying to get things going again. Transmission shops in this area of Texas have been relying in used parts from salvage yards which are still good.
Model T ‘s have a small market compared to larger markets and hopefully we will get to a kind of normalcy in the not to distant future.

Tbird
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Delivery Car

Post by Tbird » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:52 pm

I sent Bird haven my early closed pinon and within 2 weeks got my bearing I sent them back and fitted with a fun projects modern bearing set up. Second on giving them a call.

Mark Chaffin
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Chaffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Speedster, 1927 Lake Roadster
MTFCA Number: 31705
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by Mark Chaffin » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Like John stated. Machine shops are just now getting back on line for production. We have spoken to our machinist and we should have another batch in stock by the end of next week. Thanks everyone for your patience. :)

Topic author
henryford2
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Andulics
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 Truck, 1927 Roadster GOW, RAJO Sprint car
MTFCA Number: 9766

Post by henryford2 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:07 pm

Thanks, earlier today I had gotten confirmation from Chaffin's that they are in the works and should be available soon! Years ago I used a setup from Eugene Wright that sandwiched the bearing races between 2 spacers that held them tight once everything is tightened down. It's been a while but if I remember correctly it eliminated the need to machine the housing (anneal and then machine). Still need a machinist. Thanks again, Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic