Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
Gatordoc
First Name: J
Last Name: Warren

WTB....New Guy looking for a 1919-25 Switch Plate

Post by Gatordoc » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:32 am

Hello,
I am fairly new to the forum and just getting into these early cars after a lifetime restoring 356's and Sunbeam Tigers. Speed is fun but it has all been a blur. Time to slow down and take in the sights. I am looking for a 1919-25 switch plate with ignition/amp gauge. No key is fine as it is being used in a museum static display. And E-bay seems to be a mishmash of overpriced junk. If you happen to have anything like that you would be interested in selling, please let me know?
Thank you in advance,
J

P.S. I am also looking for a 26-27 coupe dash as well if you have one lying around.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: WTB....New Guy looking for a 1919-25 Switch Plate

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:36 am

I have several of each that I have been intending to restore. I have done a few for members to match the look of their T and/or with original parts, so I'll send you an email. I am not in the business of restoring switches, just when they are needed to match the rest of the T's look Some on eBay are reproduction plates. Repro parts from suppliers are expensive - key/tumbler $20, Backing plate $40, large ammeter when they were available $75, small ammeter ($10).
There isn't a lot to restoring a switch, most parts are interchangeable. The only caution is to avoid some oddball ones with 4 rivets around the switch face as these could have their own unique internal parts. The major difference is the backing plate, clip vs pin type. If the backing plate is warped it needs to b replaced otherwise it may still be usable.
IMG_2331.JPG
Example of all the components keys/tumbler & backing plate are reproduction parts
IMG_2012.JPG
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Runabout
First Name: Steve
Last Name: McClelland
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1911 Mother-n-law roadster, 1919 Coupe, 1920 Depothack, 1922 Centerdoor, 1923 Roadster, 1923 Speedster, 1924 TT Truck,

Post by Runabout » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:32 pm

George Hand
First Name: George
Last Name: Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects
MTFCA Number: 28114
MTFCI Number: 21834

Post by George Hand » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Frank, I have 2 different "Pin" types, one is thicker than the other & all 3 types have a different legend (location) of terminals for the wires. There are 2 types of headlamp switch handles, pressed sheet metal & plated diecast. George

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:26 am

George Hand wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:15 pm
Frank, I have 2 different "Pin" types, one is thicker than the other & all 3 types have a different legend (location) of terminals for the wires. There are 2 types of headlamp switch handles, pressed sheet metal & plated diecast. George
I am trying to document various differences in switch plate configurations. Have no idea how many suppliers Ford may have had making them or if there were some aftermarket plates made. From what I have collected plates that have 4 rivets holding the rear cup to the plate have numerous variations. Can you email or post pictures of what you have.
I am aware of diecast handles but don't know if these exist as a supplier's or Ford specification or if they occurred for a specific time frame. There are also two styles of pressed handles. Most of what I have are steel, have one made from copper and other brass. The two styles have to do with how they are interface with the plate and internal ring for the headlights. The ones with prongs are bent over the internal ring for t he lights. The handle and tumbler can be removed without the need for undoing the rivets holding the cup on the back of the plate. The other style has a lip that fits under plate and just has flats inserted to the internal headlight ring. This style requires rivet removal.
Handles.jpg
IMG_2335.JPG
IMG_2335.JPG (58.84 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
As the plate designs go, again documentation unavailable. I have come across many rusty plates that are at least 50 years old or more. Not sure if there is any specification to corroborate what is original or a 50 year old reproduction. The differences in the plates with two rivets have different height lettering for mag DIM OFF ON bat, style of Ford script and some without. Also some switches have paint field lettering
IMG_2344.JPG
Odd fellows
odd ones.jpg
We need to discuss 1926-27 separately. While the plates are very different the parts variations are like the earlier rectangular plates. Larry Smith mentioned that the '26 - '27 came with Nickle faced keys. Variation in key differences are better known that their counter parts
Attachments
IMG_2345.JPG
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:40 am

The cast handle came out in 1919 - first type for electric start closed cars - also came with the elaborate movement ammeter. Our mostly original '19 Centerdoor sports one.

I'm quite sure the "no script" plates were/are repro.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:00 pm

RajoRacer wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:40 am
The cast handle came out in 1919 - first type for electric start closed cars - also came with the elaborate movement ammeter. Our mostly original '19 Centerdoor sports one.

I'm quite sure the "no script" plates were/are repro.
Thanks for the info on the cast handle. I do see that current repro lack the FORD script and possible repro's made 50 years ago. BUT the following image doesn't have one. Now was CLUM an original supplier of plates and/or just the switch parts?
My cause of doubt is that the ones I have come across seem to have original parts (CLUM backing, fiber rings and tumbler). Lots of possibilities for what's in an old switch plate: repro, refurbished, original, parts lot.... I haven't see enough plates to make a determination and after 100 years how to know for sure. Having said that, since FORD scripted just about everything ..... or Henry decided since the handle hid it, why the expense to put it there. :? The problem is that unless you are the original owner there is no way of knowing what parts may have been replaced in the past.
2 rivet cast handle.png
2 rivet cast handle.png (761.95 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Attachments
ammeter cast handle.png
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic