Topic author
clemine
First Name: CLEM
Last Name: DEVINE
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927
Board Member Since: 2021

1927 Tourer Top Irons

Post by clemine » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:29 am

Just wanting to know if anyone makes reproduction top irons for my Tourer?
Mine are rusted out on the curves and the main tapered bow is broken.
If they are not available, any tips on repairs?

Regards Clem
Tumby Bay
South Australia

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: 1927 Tourer Top Irons

Post by Allan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:11 pm

Welcome to the forum Clem. You are fortunate to have a 27 model T as the US parts will suit it. That is not the case with the earlier Australian made bodies/tops.
My 1925 Duncan and Fraser wide body roadster came from Tumby Bay back in about 2014. Finding/making tops irons for it was a real challenge.

Allan from down under.

Jack Tarlinton
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Tarlinton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Cut off

Post by Jack Tarlinton » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi Clem,

There is a new reproduction set on eBay. Expensive but you'll be starting with fresh metal...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194698371223?m ... olid=10050

The seller is willing to send from the US to Australia. You'll have to contact them for a quote. Be prepared to shell out up to US$400 at the moment, but if they can use the slow eBay global shipping system you may pay less than USPS or FedEX.

USPS and FedEx have suspended all budget shipping options to Australia, so you can only pay for their premium priory services.

I also recommend you speak to Russ at Old World Lamps in NSW. He's bringing in a container with an early Cadillac from the US soon and may be able to help with a cheaper shipping option but including your irons in his container:

https://www.oldworldlamps.net/importing

The wood bows are available from the US vendors such as Langs and Snyders (whether they are in stock or not is another thing), but you can make your own and steam bend them yourself if you're a woodworker and have some basic tools and a running wallpaper steamer.

You don't even need a steam box or pipe to do it, it's not a pressurised process. It can be done using a plastic bag. Lots of videos on YouTube but this may help to start your research:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50uXPPt8-VI

The main issue you'll come across it the wood splitting on the outside (expansion side) - don't use stringy wood like Tassie oak from Bunnings!

Others on the forum may be able to help with useful methods. Here are some links I had saved:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/17 ... 1320424095

https://modeltfordfix.com/installing-a- ... r-model-t/

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/11 ... 1291234325

Hope all of this helps and please excuse anything that I've sent that you are already aware of.

Best regards

Jack

Topic author
clemine

Post by clemine » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:21 am

Thanks Allan, I have been scratching my head about making the bows. I'm more confident with steel so was going to fabricate with box tube but the tapers and etc are difficult.
And Thanks Jack for the links. I have sent the ebay seller a request for a freight quote so will see how that goes.
I have a mate that ships a container from LA so that may be an option too. Looks like around 2500 aud but for the time it will take me to fabricate them it will be money well spent.
I checked out the other links too. Thanks a lot for those too.
Regards Clem.
Ps. I did not get an email notification of these replies, just by chance came back here to look for any replies. Is there somewhere to flag this?

Jack Tarlinton
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Tarlinton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Cut off

Post by Jack Tarlinton » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:52 am

Good luck with everything Clem!

As for emails, if we post here on the forum you don't get emails - you only get them if we contact you privately.

Topic author
clemine

Post by clemine » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:34 am

Well I fabricated replacement bows from rhs and bent them at the exhaust shop. I used the original ends and welded into the rest.
Has worked not too bad. I bought the vinyl from Langs and have it nearly fitted. I have used lift a dots to connect around the back.
Just a question re connecting the sides to the rear bow.
Is there a way to connect the vinyl to the steel bow? I don't have the wood inserts at the side. I was going to use a lift a dot but that will not look too good. Will try to post a pic of what I'm doing.

Topic author
clemine

Post by clemine » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:39 am

20220626_170541.jpg
20220626_170555.jpg

Topic author
clemine

Post by clemine » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:42 am

Just thinking now that I can probably just use screws, I have some black pan heads that would probably do the trick.
Didn't notice how many ripples until I looked at the pic. A bit cold here now so shrunk bit.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:15 am

Lift the dots are usual in that application. You can even get double stack male fittings so side curtains can be fitted as well as the top sides. I have limited sticks in my stash if you can tell me what you require. Otherwise Dalys in Royal Park, Adelaide, can usually supply them.

Allan from Gawler.

Topic author
clemine

Post by clemine » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:16 pm

Thanks for that Allan. I looked for a local supplier for the double height sticks but ended up getting them from the UK. Just needed 2 at this stage for the back straps as well as the top.
I'll check out Dalys for future requirements. I'm not up to side curtains yet, but if it continues this cold I soon will be.
Regards Clem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic