StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

NOS ZENITH HP4S CARB OVERHEAD SUPREME ZOOM

Post by StanHowe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Well, here you go. Digging down to the bottom of the treasure box I brought back from Bakersfield last spring looking for things to turn in to power bills and tax money, found one I forgot I had.

This is a New Old Stock Zenith HP4S side draft that was -- and still should be -- the favorite of the overhead crowd. The throat is 1.1875 or 1 3/16 so it is perfect size for anything but the absolute hottest overheads, which would probably be able to handle an HP5A. The flange is the orientation that most of the early Roof, Rajo, etc., heads ran so you can either bolt this right up to the intake or make a short runner and mount it, which is what I would recommend. It has the coolest throttle arm setup I have ever seen with the throttle rod running a forked arm that runs a little ball attached to the horizontal throttle shaft. It that isn't a conversation maker I don't know what it, it's exclusive to Zenith as far as I know and I've only ever seen one other one.

When I got it it was dirt covered and nasty but underneath that there was a new old stock carb. As you can see from the photos there has never been any fuel in it, the screen is spotless, the jet caps had never been out and they are spotless, etc. The inside of the carb was pristine.

Take a look at the photos and think how this would look on your engine, it is small enough you probably could stuff it in between the engine and the frame rail, the fuel bowl is on the right side and you could make an adapter to fit it to a T manifold but a little polish and standing out straight from an overhead on a speedster is where it really needs to be.

The downside of these is that they are a fixed jet and can be hard to dial in to get the mixture right. Well, boys and girls, Unca Stan has the answer for that. I developed an adjustable jet for Zenith carbs that will let you turn the knob until it is running just right! I've made about mmmmmmm maybe 25 or so of them now and they are the Zoom Zoom ticket. Now usually I get $150 for one but times are hard and there is not much Ham in the beans this week so I'm going to make you a deal!! I usually get $900 for an HP5A, HP4U or HP4A with the adjustable jet and they are actually fairly common carbs. I would ordinarily price this one at an even Grand -- $1000 with the adjustable jet BUT I am going to let this go for the price of the more common ones and pay the shipping in the US. $900!! I will even take Paypal at that price!! Delivery in a week or two as soon as I can get time to make the jet.

DO NOT use the MTFCA relay system since it doesn't work well for me and I can't respond from my smart phone. Either EMAIL @ stanhowemt at aol dot com or CALL MY CELL 406 nine four nine 3448.
Attachments
2019 1 10 zenith h4pa 4 ball small 024.JPG
2019 1 10 zenith h4pa 4 ball small 018.JPG
2019 1 10 zenith h4pa 4 ball small 017.JPG
2019 1 10 zenith h4pa 4 ball small 009.JPG

Topic author
StanHowe

Re: NOS ZENITH HP4S CARB OVERHEAD SUPREME ZOOM

Post by StanHowe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Well apparently you can only add 4 photos to one post so here are more photos of the Zenith. I think. I must have been wrong. It loaded 5 this time. Hmmmmmm. More research needed. Well, anyway, you can see it has never had fuel in it and had never been apart before today. Couple more things. If you look you can see the line where that last elbow comes off by just removing one screw. It should really polish up spiffy. Zoom Zoom
Attachments
2019 1 10 zenith h4pa 4 ball small 015.JPG
2019 1 10 zenith h4pa 4 ball small 008.JPG
2019 1 10 zenith h4pa 4 ball small 004.JPG
2019 1 10 zenith h4pa 4 ball small 003.JPG
2019 1 10 zenith h4pa 4 ball small 002.JPG

Topic author
StanHowe

Re: NOS ZENITH HP4S CARB OVERHEAD SUPREME ZOOM

Post by StanHowe » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Carb is sold and going to Texas! Thanks for the interest.

I do have a couple HP4A & HP4U carbs that will need to be rebuilt before they can head out to new owners. One is spoken for but the other one is for sale. I also have several HP5A carbs that are great for REALLY hot overheads. They are a little much for standard overheads or flatheads if you want them to start easily and idle well.

I'm pretty much out of time for today to get photos posted but I will try to do some over the weekend and get them cleaned up and photographed.

Again, thanks for all the interest in the carbs and thanks to the new website for the great photos.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic