Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
RonGlowczewski
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Glowczewski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925

SCAMMER ALERT: MTFCA MEMBER "web365ster"

Post by RonGlowczewski » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:31 pm

Also known as: "Wayne Webster from California", "pbtech", "broupdx@outlook.com", "B Dunn", "patdunn49@yahoo.com".

In short, I had an ad in the classifieds looking for seat springs. MTFCA member "web365ster" private messaged me saying he knew of this "pbtech", "broupdx@outlook.com" who had some he wanted to sell. I wrote to this email address and got a response from a "B Dunn" giving me a convincing story that he had a project car that he sold to a friend because he was moving and had a couple of sets of springs left over. He sent me some seat spring pictures. I paypal him the money to his wife's account "patdunn49@yahoo.com" via friends and family. I told him I wanted a tracking number, he said he'd get it to me and then.... silence. No replies after multiple emails sent to "web365ster", "broupdx@outlook.com", and "patdunn49@yahoo.com".

I rummaged around google and found one of the 2 seat spring images he sent me that was taken off a MTFCA forum discussion from 2012. I found the original poster of that image and confirmed that he is not the one selling me these springs. So, I got screwed out of $200.

This is a major demoralizing blow to me and my project because I am very new to this field, and I am a younger guy that works 6 days a week and $200 is most of a paycheck for me. I have my guard up insanely high now because this was quite an elaborate scam. For the person to create a fake MTFCA account and post a few technical questions on the forum under that account and then to pose as a different person pitching a convincing backstory and how this guy searched and found pictures of the specific set of springs I was looking for? I don't trust anyone on here now.

It is a shame too, because up until this point, I had been having pretty good luck acquiring parts off here for my shell of a car. I still need a ton of parts too, but I don't know what I am going to do now. I've used paypal friends and family for years on many projects with no problem, until now.
Not anymore.

Below is the profile photo of the paypal account of "patdunn49@yahoo.com"
image_22.jpg
image_22.jpg (1.24 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Last edited by RonGlowczewski on Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: SCAMMER ALERT: MTFCA MEMBER "web365ster"

Post by mtntee20 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:12 pm

Ron,

Very Sorry to hear of your situation. One of the easiest ways to check out a seller, is to look at how many posts he has on this web site. The posts may be in the parts, discussion, or any of the other forums. A person who posts a lot, is usually a more honest person. You might ask for references. You may also make a post to the forum you're in at the time asking about this seller.

I have paid and been paid two ways: First, prior to shipment of product. Second: After the product is received. There's a lot of trust in the majority of the sellers and buyers on this site.

Good Luck, I hope you can still get the springs you need from a more reputable seller.

Charlie_26_TT_Ccab
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Coleman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT C Cab Stakebed Truck
MTFCA Number: 51002
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Charlie_26_TT_Ccab » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:46 pm

I just googled “ can you get a refund for a scam on PayPal “
And there are some options for you to check out.
Don’t just write it off yet.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686

Post by Novice » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:33 am

When using pay pal If You indicate the money is for a purchase there is insurance coverage and the seller pays the pay pal fee which is not much. If You send the money friends and family you may not have any recourse. If you buy from long time members on the forum You will be fine. I have bought lots of stuff here over the last five years and have never had a problem. The whole deal sounds fishy. Always check to see when the seller joined MTFCA forum. if they just joined recently that is a red flag. also check their bio to see if they list owning any model Ts and what their personal information is. Do they list any club memberships. MTFCA. MTFCI. local car clubs. like they say.
"In God we trust. All others cash" Sorry this happened to You. Good luck.

colonelpowers
First Name: Joshua
Last Name: Powers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor

Post by colonelpowers » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:45 am

The same person did the exact same thing to me but with a set of side curtains. I hadn't yet decided whether or not I wanted to get them. Thanks for the heads up.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686

Post by Novice » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:13 pm

I would hope the forum administrator would consider banning web365ster.

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Mopar_man » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:58 pm

I say we show Ron that the Model T family is different.

Ron what are you looking for for your car? Post a list and you may be surprised at what Model T guys have laying around.

Topic author
RonGlowczewski

Post by RonGlowczewski » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:52 pm

colonelpowers wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:45 am
The same person did the exact same thing to me but with a set of side curtains. I hadn't yet decided whether or not I wanted to get them. Thanks for the heads up.
PLEASE WRITE TO THE ADMINS ABOUT YOUR SITUATION! THAT GOES FOR ANYONE ELSE TOO!

20touring
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Mocyk
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Touring

Post by 20touring » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:11 am

“Once burned,lesson learned”...first, welcome to the hobby and don’t let one dubious person destroy your view of others or your fun and fellowship with other T owners.
I don’t know anyone that is honest unwilling to freely give out their address and take a USPS money order. That protects both you and the seller. You can verify their legitimacy by googling their address and should they not follow through with the parts(never had it happen in 45+ years dealing this way)it is a federal crime that the postmaster will investigate and resolve.
While this may seem inconvenient compared to an e-transfer it is basically scam proof.This old way of doing business, like your T, still works!
I’ve had T members send me parts at their insistence without my paying for them first and tell me “when you get it, just send me a check”
Also had this happen in the antique tractor hobby I’m involved in as well.
By contrast, when I had an eBay store and PayPal acct I had scammers steal money over a dozen times in 5 years. PayPal covered it each time.
No, don’t take it hard and stay bitter or the evil crooks not only win by stealing your money-but also by destroying your happiness!
Don’t worry, they’ll answer for it someday.
And thank you for the “heads up” about this scammer you are a sower of good seed and an asset to the hobby!

Topic author
RonGlowczewski

Post by RonGlowczewski » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:30 pm

Back to the top for your Thanksgiving reading pleasure!

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 22437

Post by Fire_chief » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:48 pm

I've held back my comments for awhile now.
It's not only new posters you have to be concerned about, but one with over 3000 posts. He currently has an item for sale that I personally checked out, and placed it next to my original one, which was cast to his. I pointed out the differences (which were numerous), to which he stated that changes were made during production. I stated that all those changes did not occur during the two weeks difference. He then stated he would still sell it as advertised, and that other people would not know the difference.
Also, a friend of mine checked out the same item for someone in Australia, and came to the same conclusion.

mbowen
First Name: Miles
Last Name: Bowen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Express Wagon, 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51651
MTFCI Number: 25343
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by mbowen » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:10 pm

Copied from Facebook today for the many of those here that don’t partake:

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, I posted a want-ad in the antique car classifieds. See, I was shopping around for a Brass Model T Ford, something I'd wanted since I was a kid. Middle age had hit, my daughter was grown up and with the house and credit cards mostly paid off, it was time to pull the trigger.
So I placed the ad in the classifieds and got some very interesting scam telephone calls:
The funniest one was the guy who phoned me and claimed to have a 1914 Model T Ford touring car for sale.
I said, "1914, huh? So I guess it has gas lamps."
"Oh, yeah, definitely gas lamps. Matter of fact, I just today finished hooking them up to the fuel pump."
I knew I had a live one on the line, so I suppressed a chuckle and asked a few more questions that any Model T owner would have understood. "What kind of transmission do you have in that thing?"
"It's a stick. They didn't have automatics back then."
"Do tell."
And when asked about Rocky Mountain Brakes, he seemed to feel they had been designed for steep and elevated terrain. I was further advised that a "2-Man Top" was only big enough for a roadster; the touring cars, like his, having "4-Man Tops" (You can't make this stuff up). But by the time I got around to asking him about whether his car had a "Fat Man Wheel," he seemed to realize the jig was up. Maybe I could have kept him going a little longer had I instead inquired about his hog's head. Y'know, these guys have absolutely no sense of humor when they finally realize how long ago you turned the tables on them.
Miles
1924 Touring “Bonnie”
1925 Express Wagon “Clyde”

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic