Topic author
Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

WTB Watts clutch

Post by Craig Leach » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:22 am

Any chance there is someone that has a Watts clutch they don't want and would willing to part with?
Thanks.
Craig.

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Re: WTB Watts clutch

Post by Kevin Pharis » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:58 pm

Given the name confusion surrounding some accessory clutch types… are you looking for the TH400, or the heavy fiber discs?

Topic author
Craig Leach

Post by Craig Leach » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:38 pm

Hi Kevin,
Yes there is some confusion about clutches. I'm looking for the thick large fiber disc type.
Thanks.
Craig.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:42 pm

I'm not all that familiar with the product but I have one that came with a garage full of parts I bought a while back - drop me a note & I'll get you some photos. Richard Gould seems to have some knowledge regarding these clutches.

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:30 am

I might still have a new RV Anderson 26-27 Watts clutch with the modified push ring. I'll check if you're interested. The material he used is different than the original Watts clutch. Price would be what I paid, $250.

Topic author
Craig Leach

Post by Craig Leach » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:36 pm

OK I picked up Watts clutches. I have some questions about the installation of the different ones made. There is a video and a set of
instruction on the original Watts clutch. I seem to have picked up a RV Anderson clutch that may or May not be from the run that was
not very successful. I'm looking for info on how they where installed. The genuine Watts clutch was installed with out a Ford disc on
either outside of the pack??? Was the latter installed the same way? the one I picked up appears to have had a small disc on both ends.
This would make it far to thick to get a good disengagement. even with the pins on the pressure ring ground down. Any info would be
greatly appreciated. And to all the people that have emailed me on this Thanks.

frontyboy
First Name: dick
Last Name: dock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: T sprint cars

Post by frontyboy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:52 pm

I have a new watts clutch that came in a motor that had never run or had oil in it. It is stenciled on the fiber discs "Watts" Clutch. It has one used steel disc on the end and not one on the other end. I can count the discs if that would be of help to you. I have run Watts clutches for years and always had excellent results.

I for one never understood why Anderson thought he could improve on a perfect part to begin with. Whenever I contacted him his excuse was to make it better. After running Watts clutches for many more years than I can remember as well as most model t's in the Portland area, it was simple trouble free and gave you a true neutral.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

T Cruiser
First Name: Ted
Last Name: VanBeek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Touring, 13 Touring, 10 Touring
MTFCA Number: 2025

Post by T Cruiser » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:19 am

The reason John Watts quit building the clutches was because one day he went buy the. Friction material the supplier was closed and never reopened. He gave RV all his drawings and specs. I was unaware that actually made a few sets. The Watts clutch was very reliable , and once broken in you had a better neutral and did not slip. It took usually about two adjustments for break in. John supplied a heavier spring. You had to shorten the push ring pins a little . John or David Watts can be contacted for installing directions. Ted

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:23 am

I don't believe RV was attempting to improve it - it was simply find a suitable friction material available at a moderate price - the material Watts used went up like 300 percent !!! What model T guy would pay south of $3-4 hundred for a clutch pack ???

KimDobbins
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Dobbins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring, 1910 touring, 1913 touring, 1916 couplet, 1924 truck.
MTFCA Number: 8243

Post by KimDobbins » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:25 pm

Check with Langs. If RV had any made up, Don would have received them.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:50 pm

Regardless of the material, the friction disks MUST have at least one large disk at both ends of the stack to prevent the friction disks from rubbing on the push ring or the brake drum surface.

Topic author
Craig Leach

Post by Craig Leach » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:27 pm

Hi Frontyboy,
Yes that would be of help if you have time. Thanks. So far I have 2 used what I'm sure are RV Anderson clutches they seem to have been
installed completely different and the thickness of each does not seem correct. To thick (even with the push pins cut down) or to short.
The Watts Clutch that I have picked up appears to be new and in perfect shape and is the best candidate if installed as per the youtube
video and the printed instructions on line, all measurements come out very close. If some one has knowledge of a difference in the
RV Anderson instructions I would appreciate you enlightening me. Dan may have the answer but I'm afraid that will not let the clutch
release fully. None if the examples I have used a large disc ( may be why they where taken out)
Thanks everyone.
Craig.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic