Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
jmichaelmetz
First Name: John
Last Name: Metz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Roadster

WTB: Title for Roadster, 1922-1925

Post by jmichaelmetz » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:42 pm

Need title for a T Roadster 1922-25....Have 1962 bill of sale that Dad got when he purchased, but no serial number and now Dad and seller are deceased. Texas won't accept bill of sale without engine number or serial number even for a bonded title application. Thanks, John

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: WTB: Title for Roadster, 1922-1925

Post by John kuehn » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:57 pm

Something’s not right here or you’re not going about it the right way. You mentioned your T.
Have you gotten the engine no.off of it? Several years ago I got my car registered and titled through a bonded title company. I am in Texas. I built up a T from parts I inherited and went from there.
I went to the DMV with no title or bill of sale. What Texas needs to know if the car with the engine is stolen. So the DMV officer checked what I had and checked the engine no. In their data base if it was stolen which it wasn’t. They verified that. I used a bonded title company that deals with antique and old cars. They did the rest and I got my title a few weeks later.

It also depends who you talk to also. That can make a difference.

Try these folks https://classicautotitle.com/

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:53 pm

In case you don't know where to look for the engine number its on the drivers side of the block above the water inlet.
Once you have the number you can go to the MTFCA Encyclopedia to identify the year of the engine. Now many times engines have been replaced and their year don't always match the body. So take some pictures of both the serial number and one of the body and post it for comments,. After a review you can decide what year to call it. If the body & engine don't match go with the body (per the encyclopedia engine numbes dat the engine not the car since they were often replaced) https://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/sernos.htm scroll down to the year
Attachments
98494.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

SIR TIMOTHY
First Name: TIMOTHY
Last Name: ELDER
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Runabout

Post by SIR TIMOTHY » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:14 am

PM sent concerning title. Tim

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:37 am

Hi John
When you apply for a title just tell them the engine number. DO NOT GO INTO A LOT OF DETAIL ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE CAR. TALE A PICTURE OF YOUR CAR AND POST IT HERE AND WE CAN IDENTIFY IT. ALL YOU NEED TO TELL THEM IS WHAT YEAR IT IS. AND DONT TELL THEM THE ENGINE MAY NOT HAVE COME WITH THE CAR. JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE AND DONT OVERTHINK OF WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. T ENGINES PRETTY MUCH LOOK ALIKE AND THEY DONT NEED TO KNOW THE DETAILS.

Perry Goble
First Name: William
Last Name: Goble
MTFCA Number: 31190
MTFCI Number: 24534

Post by Perry Goble » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:54 pm

Hi john I have titled at least 5 or 6 Model ts and TTs with out titles over the last 30 plus years in Texas . Like Mr Kuehn said keep it simple . The people that are working do not know the pecific's of Model T fords . I go to my county tax assessor and tell them I have a 19xx model T runabout and need to get a title . they will tell you what you need to do . Like I said I have been doing this a long time and the interpretation of the law is up to the county we live in . Years ago the tax assessor looked at your paperwork and if it looked legit they gave you a title it was called tax assessor court . Now it can be more complicated or not really as long as you do as they say . I recommend going through title company they know all the in's and out's of the process . My county has one day a month you bring your car to the tax office and a State Trooper verifies your motor number for the title . The last time I went through this was 2 years ago . I have never not been able to get a title . Good luck Perry

John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:59 pm

That’s exactly what I did and I used the bonded title Texas company I mentioned in the above post. I called them and did it through mail and over the phone. They really do know what they are doing and have a good reputation for doing it. They will tell you what you need to do.

And as mentioned the county I live in do a car check for titles 1 day a month. It was definitely an interesting day with quite a few mostly old cars getting the engine numbers checked by the DMV officer. Good luck with your car and remember tell them the basic about your T and that’s it. All they are concerned with is checking to see if your car was stolen.

Good luck. "

FATMAN
First Name: ROBERT
Last Name: BERGSTADT
MTFCA Number: 1575

Post by FATMAN » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:48 am

Did you find a title yet? Bob
if so e m me

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic