FS: Pat’d Oct 14 1902 Accelerator Gate Valve

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

FS: Pat’d Oct 14 1902 Accelerator Gate Valve

Post by George House » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:32 am

....for you HCCA guys. This used a pipe thread to screw onto an intake manifold of a 1910 two cylinder car I bought years ago. And it utilized a Holly NH CARB. I have since acquired the correct carb thus making this lovely piece excess. $85 + USPS small flat rate. gwhouse731(at)gmail.com
Attachments
Cast ‘Oct 14 1902’ into Complete Cast Brass Unit
Cast ‘Oct 14 1902’ into Complete Cast Brass Unit
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

SCHEBLER FS: Pat’d Oct 14 1902 Accelerator Gate Valve

Post by Dropacent » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:55 am

George, that is a throttle plate for a schebler model D carb. Many early cars, tractors, stationary, and marine engines used these great carbs. Good item and sought after.

Topic author
George House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster

Re: FS: Pat’d Oct 14 1902 Accelerator Gate Valve

Post by George House » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:51 am

Sure enough Tim ? Thanks ! Maybe I should try and trade it for a restored 5 ball brass carb.?
Naw, I priced it to sell and hopefully will....

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:31 pm

Those are usually called chicken slicers. One great advantage of them is that they are fairly easy to add an idle jet/circuit to. The Schebler D does not have a discreet idle circuit and they tend to load up at idle.
Those came in every size from 1/2 inch to 2 inch.
What car are you working on?
Non model T 5 ball kingstons are relatively plentiful and fairly cheap.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:40 pm

The "Jack Benny" Maxwell uses a Schebler D that an idle circuit was added to in the 50's. When I got that carb to rebuild after it had been to another shop and would no longer idle I was pretty impressed with the ingenuity of the design tho it was pretty crudely made. I made a complete new unit and istalled it on that car even tho it is no longer required to idle for long periods in parades.
Since then I've added that idle circuit to probably half a dozen Schebler D's.
I wish I knew who did that first one, I'd shake his hand and tell him he's a smart guy.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:14 pm

2019 1 14 schebler d maxwell idle.jpg
2019 1 14 schebler d maxwell idle.jpg (59.56 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
Schebler D showing gate type throttle control and added idle circuit and adjustment.

The later design is slightly different but I don't have photos.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:43 pm

Your price is fair for that part if someone needs it. That is amazing retrofit, Stan! My only experience was with a NOS example I found in a local antique shop. It was a great find. They are very primitive carbs, and unless you use the original instructions are a bear to start. If you use the instructions, a cinch. They’re for pretty primitive vehicles, and if you want a responsive carb, not really going to do it for you. I’ve always appreciated the fit and finish, and still today very inexpensive to buy a nice example. An original Holley or kingston will go for several thousand $$ , but a real nice schebler D is a couple hundred. They must have made a bagillion in many, many sizes. I just saw a double example at a friends place, and it’s HuGE! I’ll bet it goes 25-30lbs. It would make a great coffee table base ! In the day , schebler had a good following and they advertised heavily to early auto owners, such as the Ford A, Ac, C, and F. In my opinion, the carbs that Kingston and Holley were offering, and factory supplied with the early fords were not very good carbs.
I have a Holley for my F but also have a 1” schebler set aside, too, in case I want to drive it much.

Topic author
George House

Post by George House » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:40 am

Beautiful restoration Uncle Stan !! It’d be hard for me to to remove that carb from the fireplace mantle and install it on a horseless carriage..

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Thanks!

Topic author
George House

Post by George House » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:23 am

Yeah; I admire how you’ve included those high head brass bolts to fasten your ‘chicken slicer’ onto the carb. My OF and U&J just has high head steel bolts......I guess if this Schebler throttle plate doesn’t sell by Pearl Harbor Day I’ll just put it back in the china cabinet.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks. Those bolts are made from unobtainium and the originals are always rounded off from pliers and vise grips that don't fit and wrenches that didn't either so I make new ones. Every once in awhile I need a couple and if the box is empty I set up the lathe and make a dozen or two in various lengths. The rounded head is just done with a file resting in a certain spot on the bed so it can be rolled back and forth so they are all rounded the same. The slotted ones get clamped in the V slot on the horizontal table on my mill and slotted with a little slotting blade.

Unca Stan tip. Those guys figured out alot of stuff years back. Every machinist needs a set of V blocks. If you set them up with the V running perpendicular to the blade travel and center the blade on a slot you can center slot any size bolt head as the V will still be at the center no matter how big the stock is. So set it up and slot them heads, boys. I tried to do them with a Dremel tool, a hacksaw, etc. Finally set up to do them and had about 24 of them done in fifteen minutes. Duh!!!

I have brass hex stock in every size from 3/16 to 1 1/2, it is the handiest thing for making parts. Working on Kingston ball type carbs the caps are nearly always ruined so I machine off the old hex, silver solder the threaded part to a new hex, part it off, round the cap with a file and voila! a new cap for a five ball. First one took me an hour, current design turns out a dozen an hour. The hard part was getting it centered so when I soldered it it looked right. Finally had one of the "duh" moments and figured out a little deal to make it easy to center and probably a stronger joint. Silver solder is wonderful stuff.

I also have taps and dies in virtually every size from 0-80 to 1 1/2 x 24. Probably at least 100 different sizes. I just bought 5 sets of Greenfield taps and dies in wooden cases at an auction to fill in some of the sizes I didn't have and that are only available as special sizes from China.

Topic author
George House

Post by George House » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:37 am

SOLD..Thanks MTFCA and Jim R.
And thanks uncle Stan for your further description, picture and excellent workmanship

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic