Topic author
Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

For Sale - New Manhole Kingpins, complete kit

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:43 am

These were used in '15-'16 (and some evidence of 17,18,19,20,21 if you really dig through archives).

I have found it best to MEASURE THE OD OF THE BUSHINGS YOU PUSH OUT OF YOUR SPINDLE. There seems to be a good deal of variation in spindle bores and I often must turn down the bushings a few thou to be a proper press fit rather than a monster press fit and risk damage to the spindles.

All my stuff is made by me, in my shop. There is no factory, just myself and a desire to do what no one else is doing.

If you are unhappy in any way, return UNUSED for refund

$200 postage paid to your door lower 48.

Are they nice? Yes
Are they expensive? Yes
Will I make more? Possibly, but not many if I do
Will they get cheaper? No

Loose, showing lid open on one
manhole cover kingpins.gif
As you will receive them
Manhole Cover Kingpins packed.gif
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: For Sale - New Manhole Kingpins, complete kit

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:46 am

Nice kit Scott!!!!

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks Hank

it was an interesting project
Scott Conger

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 am

Are they hardened & ground, Scott ?

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:19 am

Yes, Steve, they are.
they are similar to the later style kingpins on the market sold by major suppliers
Scott Conger

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:40 am

Nice !

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:34 am

Not a single bite. Either wrong bait or there are no fish. A part which has never been reproduced and folks have professed in the past that they would like to see. I sure misjudged this one. Not going to keep pushing to the top.

After tooling an material costs, research time and machining time, I'd only make about $5 an hour on this one, anyway, so it goes back on the shelf and become yet another part of my estate. They look nice and will make a good parts display.

Do you now see why no one is rushing in to the hobby to be a supplier? Or why so many parts are so poorly or incorrectly made that they don't fit, or why they are made in China? A person could make more at MacDonalds slinging fries.

These parts are no longer for sale.
Scott Conger

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:39 am

Uh... This is a part with very limited application. These classifieds probably reach less than 1% of interested parties. Of the potential interested parties that do look here, they probably don’t look here every day, maybe not even every week (the ad is only 24 hours old). AND, unless people are a couple weeks away from completion of their restoration project, they are still holding out for a NOS pair in someone’s dollar bin at the next swap meet...

Topic author
Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:11 am

Adam

correct on every point...no debate about that.

I make custom parts often on a whim. Sometimes to satisfy an existing need in my shop, and other times just to see if I can. One part sells very well and did so almost instantly...5 in the first hour of advertising. It was cheap (but most expensive version on the market due to being handmade) and universal. Now most of those sales are due to a "wait list" of previous users who seem to love them, and production on an "as needed" basis rather than carrying stock. I don't fool with hawking them here very often anymore if I can help it. These parts were going to be 1-3 off sets and if folks do not see the value in them 2 months before they need them, oh well. I am not particularly surprised, particularly when an incorrect part at 25% of my price will suffice. This is a hobby where cheap trumps "correct" every time. There was never going to be a product line and by the nature of this forum, the ad will race to the bottom quickly, and I don't feel like typing "TTT" every day for months to get rid of one set. They're very pretty on my shelf and may one day wander into my own '15.
Scott Conger

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:30 am

Yeah, I missed the flash sale on these by going to work instead of spending my time reading various forums. I think that they’re an awesome product, but my ‘16 touring has a completely rebuilt front end (with flip-top oilers) that only has about 200 miles on it, my speedster project dropped axle has all new bolts and bushings with 0 miles, and my ‘14 touring with a DB axle could be rebuilt (it is still fairly solid) but it will be getting brass oilers. So if they were available, I would probably get a set of these to be installed 15-20 years from now, but I try to temper my impulse buys by waiting a day or two to let my rational mind figure out how to budget a higher dollar item like this.

I’ve missed other “limited availability” items in the past, so I guess that I’ll survive without these bolts, regardless of how much I covet them.

ewdysar
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Dysart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1916 Touring, 1927 Runabout

Post by ewdysar » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 am

And I think that it’s funny that people “bump” their sale posts constantly. I know who has offered stuff for sale that I am interested in and can remember stuff that I have read longer than just a few hours or days. I know who is selling new aftermarket wire wheels, even though I don’t think that either of the guys making/selling them has posted an ad in quite some time. Same with Stevens front axle tool frame and the reamers/inserts. Same with the ECCT, etc. etc.

When I think that I’m ready to buy, I can find those older posts and go from there. Bumping a post without changes every 3-4 weeks seems like enough of a reminder to me. Of course, that flies in the face of modern internet sales techniques of put your stuff in peoples faces 20 times a day.... but that annoys me more than it encourages me to pull out my wallet.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic