radiator shell wanted.26-7

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

radiator shell wanted.26-7

Post by tdump » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:31 am

I am in the market for a cheap painted or paintable 26-7 radiator shell.It can have dents or rust that I can weld and straighten.I just want something solid enough I can refurbish and paint it to use on a speedster project.It can be repop,it can be old.I don't mind rough parts,matter of fact I like the challenge,I just don't have 1 to even start on.As long as the flares will match up with the 26-7 hood.It took me a while to realize,a high shell wont match right.Duh.
Anyhow.email me or use the pm function or let me know here,however.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Topic author
tdump
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.

Re: radiator shell wanted.26-7

Post by tdump » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:50 am

I have a 25 type high shell best I can tell anyway and it does not fit the hood right.I got a message asking about this.
There is supposed to be more of a flare out of the shell where it meets the hood on 26-7 than on a 25 from what I read.

3947D is different than 2947c apparently according the chaffins book but they are marked as nla

I posted a couple pics of what I am working with on my build thread.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:58 pm

I believe this was mentioned in a previous discussion. I am still looking for it because I may have the same issue. This was what I have found so far in a 2014 discussion saying the flare may be at the firewall "I didn't see any mention of it here, but isn't there supposed to be a wider flare to the outside (at the rear of the side pieces) on 26-27 steel and brass shells to accommodate the wider hood at the rear where it sets on the firewall? The height of all high shells were the same but the sides flared out more on the 26-27 shells that I have had."
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/41 ... 1403557682
There may have have been a solution involving the radiator mounting bolts - not sure
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:53 am

As far as I know, ALL the high radiator shells have sides which are flared outwards at the rear to follow the lines of the hood panels. The flare did not differ on the later 26-7 brass nickel plated shells. Flared sides are a good way to tell a high shell from the earlier low shell which had sides square to the front panel. Again, as far as I know there was never a reproduction high shell with flared sides. There were repop high shells with square-to-the-front sides, and because of this they never did fit well. They had other issues as well with the neck hole and the Ford script embossing.

I could have missed something.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
tdump

Post by tdump » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:14 pm

A Big thanks to Dale Meyers for sending me a shell,it came in the mail today with a note saying it was in to bad of shape to charge me for.
Well, Dale will be getting a money order anyhow to at least cover the shipping cost and then some for his trouble.
What he calls bad shape is much better than the yard art i had handy!
It is easy repaired compared to my others and I am tickled pink to get it.
Thank you sir.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic