Glowing Exhaust manifold

Can’t log in? Having a problem with the Forums? Have a question about how something works? Get support here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
flitejoc

Glowing Exhaust manifold

Post by flitejoc » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:53 pm

I changed my 1915 model t over to a Z head. It began to knock on first start up. I shut her down as this happened on a friends 1925 Roadster on first start up. 2 identical start ups, 1 week apart. The exhaust manifold glowed between 2 and 3 cylinders. I changed her back to the original head and fired her up. No knock but the same glow occurred between 2 and 3 cylinders. I adjusted the mixture between lean and rich and settled on 1/2 way between; the remained. Any suggestions for a fix. Mark J

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: Glowing Exhaust manifold

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:17 pm

When you installed the Z head, did you test the head by putting it on without a gasket and with loose bolts to check for interference between the pistons and head? Hand cranking would reveal interference by lifting the head slightly. There could be interference especially if your engine block has been decked and/or if your block has a large overbore. If that is a problem the combustion chambers can be ground for clearance.

I can't help from here with the glowing manifold. Are you certain that it was not glowing before the change? You may have an exhaust gasket leak.

FYI, if you post this question in the general discussion forum will get you many more responses and advice.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Glowing Exhaust manifold

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:50 pm

Copy and repost on the general forum, this section is for problems with the site not car questions.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:50 pm.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic