Pfishing EMAIL

Can’t log in? Having a problem with the Forums? Have a question about how something works? Get support here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
rondupree
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Dupree
MTFCA Number: 22940
MTFCI Number: 15830

Pfishing EMAIL

Post by rondupree » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:06 pm

I just got a very official looking email from "Amazon.com" confirming a purchase. The return address looked legitimate. The only giveaway was that it was addressed to "MTFC" then my name. Luckily my virus program caught it when I opened the invoice to see what my wife might have bought. Not sure if the info for the scam came from here, but the fact that my name started with MTFC makes me wonder.
Ron Dupree

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Re: Pfishing EMAIL

Post by ironhorse » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:20 pm

I got one too but the big tip off for me was I don't order from amazon. :o Sent copy to amazon here stop-spoofing@amazon.com
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:30 pm

I get them occasionally, claiming to be from all sorts of businesses. One even claims to be Mart Vowell, always with a link and a comment along the lines of "I think you'll like this." On rare occasions they're in competent English. Don''t click on anything when you get them. Instead ask your wife if she bought anything, then delete.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Garnet
First Name: Garnet
Last Name: M
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 racer, 1925 roadster pickup

Post by Garnet » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:27 pm

You really have to be careful with those emails. Some look very legitimate and to someone rather unsuspecting - they can be dangerous. I frequently get purchase notices apparently from eBay, Amazon and PayPal etc. and they look very real. If you run your cursor over the various links in the email and look at the URL address that then shows up on the status bar - they are actually valid links. However, there will be a sentence inevitably that says sign in to your account HERE to verify this purchase. That link will be something that visually doesn't match all the other ones - that's the clue.

Of course, if you haven't bought anything recently then that should be a good wakeup slap to the head too.

Any suspicious emails gets deleted without even reading them first. Keep your antivirus up to date too.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:30 pm

Don't open any more then to read and do not click on any link in them, mark them as spam then they will go right to your spam file in the future.They go to my spam file that I empty all most every day. (some days it's only one or two)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic