some topics divided into pages

Can’t log in? Having a problem with the Forums? Have a question about how something works? Get support here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

some topics divided into pages

Post by Dennis_Brown » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:19 pm

I am not very computer literate and you are doing a fabulous job. My question is there any way some topics could automatically break down into pages 1 2 3 after about 15 or 20 posts?. An example would be the Foot of the day. I enjoy it but hate to scroll and scroll to get to new items.
Later on I will find out how to resize pictures for posting.
Thanks for doing such a great job.
Dennis Brown

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: some topics divided into pages

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:57 am

If you have been reading a long posting and if there are new postings contained in it; When you go to open a topic you may note a small red page with folded corner on the left side, click on that and it will open to first unread new posting, or just open and click first unread in the message header box, it will take you to first unread posting. Eater one works but only if there is any thing new added since the last time you looked.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:12 am

Early on I asked the moderators if 100 posts per page was a bit excessive, but got no response. 50 or 25 per page would help reduce the page loading time for those (not me, my connection is fine) with slow connection speeds and corresponding long page loading times. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:42 pm

I had wondered about that 100 posts-add-a-page, however, I find it to be a good amount. I am stuck on a "barely a DSL" connection, haven't been able to view hardly anything on Facebook for several years now because the download almost always crashes before it can be opened. A lot of other glitzy sites with dancing goo-gaws will not load for me either. I like to read Royce's site also, and I don't know why, or what in it jambs up my downloads, but his longer articles usually only show about half the pictures for me. His site is similar to this one, I think it is the same basic program. So why his site won't load completely, yet this one almost always does, I don't know. I appreciate what Chris B and Admin Jeff do for us. They are providing a wonderful balance of modern technology and simple for us without true high speed connections. The longest threads on here load completely for me. Sometimes I have to force myself to wait a few seconds, but that only on the longest and/or most photo heavy pages. A "five count" (about four seconds) is all I have to usually wait for a hundred post load of "Kalamity Dick" (the main attraction in "off topic").

Personally, I like to scroll quickly through long threads to do a quick mental refresh on what I have seen before. But this is my strange way of doing things. So I don't use the feature to take one to the first unread. I do think the programming to provide that feature is a good addition to any forum type site. I also do recommend using it to non-strange people, strange people like me that prefer to scroll through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic