Praise for Berg's

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Praise for Berg's

Post by RustyFords » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:24 am

Here on the Texas Gulf Coast lately, the actual temps have been at or near 100 degrees and the heat index has been around 110-115, with high humidity.

Brutal to say the least.

I took a break from working at home yesterday and had the Berg's radiator equipped 24 Touring out during the peak of heat. My trip was about a half hour total and involved sitting at several traffic lights. The radiator seemed to just shrug it off and showed no signs of overheating. I find that to be amazing and a testament to the Berg's flat tube radiator.

I've previously had the car out with temps in the 90's and was impressed, but yesterday's run was an even tougher test.

I know the flat tube isn't an original item, but this car isn't that type of restoration, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Attachments
IMG_8704.jpg
1924 Touring

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Praise for Berg's

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:48 am

Low to mid 90's Don with 65- 75% humidity in the midwest. The T's dont overheat but if sitting still very long I do. I have flat recored in both the TT and pickup.

Topic author
RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:59 pm

Dallas Landers wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:48 am
Low to mid 90's Don with 65- 75% humidity in the midwest. The T's dont overheat but if sitting still very long I do. I have flat recored in both the TT and pickup.
I'm jealous.

As soon as I retire and sell my interest in my company, I'll be moving away from the Houston area. I love it for it's ability to provide a good living and for all it does for our country, but it's not exactly the vacation spot of the world.

Fortunately, I plan to do so before I'm 60.
1924 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:19 pm

Isn’t it amazing what a T will do and won’t do when you have a good radiator! I have a Bergs on my 24 Coupe and never regretted finally spending the money to get a new radiator.
You have to really look close to see that’s it’s a flat tube but after I noticed immediately the car wasn’t getting overly hot anymore I was really amazed. I had been through 3 old originals and the last one looked good but looks don’t mean anything when your dealing with 100 year old radiators. Live and learn! I now have flat tube radiators on my 3 T’s and no worries about getting hot anymore.

Philip
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

Post by Philip » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:26 pm

same here i put one in my 24 touring its hot here too no problems im sure you could run without a fan. philip

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:09 pm

I was in Austin for 3 summer days and that was enough to tell me never to visit Texas again. You can have your heat.

My Berg's radiator works great. Drove from Milwaukee to Detroit and back and nary a problem, just like I was promised. Gerry recommended not using a motometer and I miss it, but I will take his advice. He knows radiators better than I do.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:10 pm

I have a Bergs low radiator in my 1917 Touring. Even on these 90+° days it has never come close to overheating. The only issue I had was that my radiator neck came off a couple of weeks back. Yeah, I had a motometer and winged cap which Bergs had advised against.....

I took the radiator to an old-time radiator guy who soldered the neck back on. He thought the radiator looked great but that the original soldering job on the neck was "lacking". When he put my neck on he added a bead around the bottom which may or may not make much difference. He pointed out how some cars "in the day" had huge ornate caps but the necks held up ok. I decided to keep the motometer but went to a small dogbone cap which weighs less than what I had....we'll see how it goes. The car went 2000 miles before the neck came loose so I should know in a year or so.

BTW - in my emergency kit I carry a neoprene stopper (I got at a hardware store) that I drilled a hole in near the edge to accommodate the overflow tube. If you lose your cap or the filler neck it will plug the hole so coolant doesn't come slopping out. To make the "drill" for the neoprene I took a short piece of tubing, sharpened one edge on a grinding wheel and chucked it into my drill press. It made an extremely clean hole in the rubber.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic