Questions about Victor #2 Lights

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DontKnowMuch
First Name: James
Last Name: Sanford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring, 26 Roadster, 27 Roadster

Questions about Victor #2 Lights

Post by DontKnowMuch » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 pm

I have searched for information about Victor # 2 lights, particularly side and tail lights for a 1914 Touring. I found a picture posted in 2009 by Rick Gunter that showed a tail light with both a red and either a blue or green round lens.
Victor # 2 Lights Rick Gunter.jpg
I have found other Forum posts that state that the tail light body was the same as the side lights except that the door with square glass for the side light was replaced by a door with a round red lens. I have a tail light with a square, clear lens on the side and a round, red lens that would point toward the rear. This body has cracks in the metal body and needs some repair work. The brackets on my car are separate from the light bodies.

I have read that lights with the integral mounting bracket were used later in 1914. Can someone either point me to a definitive description with pictures about which style was used in 1914 or whether both styles were used in 1914? I could not find pictures of Victor #2 tail lights in the section of Bruce's Encyclopedia on 1914 lights.

If replacing my current tail light with damage with a side light with the door replaced, this would be a simple solution to my repair job. Does the hinge pin on the Victor #2 lights have a head on it similar to a nail? I know the Jhn Brown 110 lights are like that.

Thanks for your help

Drkbp
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: Parker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1925

Re: Questions about Victor #2 Lights

Post by Drkbp » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:59 am

Looks like there are four variations of the Victor tail lamps for 1913/14.
The round little Victor No. 1, embossed lamp cap, incuse stamped cap and a three lens version of the Model 2 square lamps as you pictured above.

Another thread you might have already read:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 1508346912

Tail lamps continued to be spade mount even after side lamps came with integral brackets in late calendar 1914.

Interesting question on the Victor Black & Brass and hope someone chimes in with pictures.

rbishop26
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Bishop
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring, 1917 touring
MTFCA Number: 502
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by rbishop26 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:53 pm

James,
My 1914 touring was built Oct 7, 1913. I have the same tail light you describe on your car (doesn't mean it wasn't changed over the past 100+ years).
If you need a picture, let me know.
Bob Bishop
San Diego, CA
1914 touring, 1917 touring

PAdey
First Name: PETER
Last Name: ADEY
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout Pickup Conversion
MTFCA Number: 32198

Post by PAdey » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:23 pm

My 14 (Sept 4th) has the same cowls you describe. But the font (kerosene tank) on both the cowls and tail has a brass top and black steel bottom. I can not tell in your photo if the bottoms are black or brass. Nice job working on those by the way... My tail light has red round back, green round left side and colorless round right side. Hope this helps...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic