NOS???

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
Board Member Since: 2020

NOS???

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:27 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does NOS mean?
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Re: NOS???

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:33 pm

New Old Stock. Parts that were made back in the day that have never been used.
When did I do that?

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:38 pm

I interpret it to mean “a never sold, never used, original part”. It can also mean an original part in extraordinarily good, unused or mint condition. Jim Patrick

Topic author
Jonah D'Avella
First Name: Jonah
Last Name: D'Avella
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring

Post by Jonah D'Avella » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:43 pm

Ok, thanks!
F: first F: find
O: on O: oil
R: race R: revive
D: day D: drive
Jonahdavella@gmail.com

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:11 pm

You might also come across "NIB", meaning "new in box".

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:18 pm

Remember though, some things are N.O.S. for a reason. This is a picture that I saved from the old Forum (stolen and used without permission, but credited to Dan Treace):
nos.jpg
nos.jpg (17.67 KiB) Viewed 2975 times

So why do you think the center one was never used? And if you look at a lot of Ebay listings, the way some parts are described as "N.O.S." it could also mean Never Outta Service :lol: !
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

FundyTides
First Name: David
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 51596
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by FundyTides » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:38 pm

There is also a difference between NOS and NORS. NOS is a never used part manufactured by the original auto manufacturer. NORS (New Old Replacement Stock) is a never used part manufactured by an aftermarket manufacturer. Some overlap here because lots of times the aftermarket manufacturer may have been the original supplier to the car manufacturer.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:51 pm

There are TONS of nos parts out there that aren’t very good quality.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:20 pm

"NOS" used to and still should mean new old stock from back in the eras when the cars were being built and/or used as regular transportation. Or shortly thereafter. Like too much language these days, the lines on it have blurred a bit much. I often see "NOS" used in online advertisements to list what used to be called "NORS", or "new old replacement stock". This distinguished between model T parts made back in the 1930s when model Ts were still being kept on the road, parts often by some of the companies that made model T parts for Ford originally (what today is called "OEM"), from later replacement parts made in the '50s and '60s on up to even today.
It never pleases me to see advertisements for model T parts for sale as "NOS" and then see in the pictures they are packaged and clearly only a few years old. While it may be nice to save a few dollars (and cut out our wonderful dealers that support us so much?!!!), they really should be called what they are, modern replacement parts.

I always enjoy seeing the Dan Treace photo posted by Pep C S. That replacement would probably work fine on a brass era T without the pin and slot turning radius limit. There actually would be some concern about the strength integrity due to the keyway not being centered in the strongest area of the arm. But that could really mess up any later T with the steering limit built in!

My NOS story is that I bought a genuine NOS front casting for a narrow-nose early pan. I thought I might need it some day as I like brass era Ts and am always on a tight budget. Sure enough, I had a couple brass era projects I was working on and needed (wanted) correct pans for. At that time (funny how things work out that way?), early pans were going for a lot of money! Decent ones for about $200, I saw really good ones sell for well over $400! So, as I wandered around a swap meet, I spotted an early pan, basically solid steel but with several splits that would have to be welded, a bunch of dents, and clearly would need to be straightened. But it was only thirty dollars! And the front nose piece had been cut off! So I bought it and rebuilt it! I figured I made pretty good wages (figuring the then cost of $200 for a decent one). And I used my NOS nose piece! It probably took about three hours to carefully remove what was left of the original nose piece, carefully position the new part, rivet and braze it in place. Then I fixed everything else. Finally, I set the thing up on my homemade jig to test straightness, and begin moving everything back to where it should be. Then, I stuck a steel rod in the nose piece to check it. The steel rod was a close fit, same size as the crank handle only longer. And the durn thing was way off crooked! I was able to fix it. Took me about another hour to do.

Yes, not all, but a lot of the NOS replacement parts from back in the day were factory rejects.

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:40 pm

I have a NOS Corcoran carbide generator, with the instructions still inside.

Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Post by Michael Peternell » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:05 pm

Jonah D'Avella wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:27 pm
It's a somewhat newly coined term Jonah that seems to be car related. Be very cautious about buying NOS parts!
Somehow not as much guilt in lieying about the part being sold if described that way.

Charlie_26_TT_Ccab
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Coleman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT C Cab Stakebed Truck
MTFCA Number: 51002
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Charlie_26_TT_Ccab » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:55 pm

Jonah, I also see a lot of parts that are called NOS that are just refurbished parts billed as NOS.
An original part that has been bead blasted and maybe painted is still better than a lot of reproduction parts but is not truly NOS, providing it’s not a critical wear part or has been welded on or has other repairs that may be questionable.
If it’s something you really need or want you should ask for more pictures or clarification as there are so many knowledgeable folks here whom are willing to help the younger crowd and it may keep you from getting a poor part or paying too much.
Keep asking your questions as we all learn something from the comments that are posted,
Best of luck on your project, Charlie

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:04 am

http://automotivemileposts.com/garage/v3n10.html
NOS parts - you don't always get what you expected. Let's take a look at how NOS parts come to be NOS parts. NOS stands for New Old Stock. These are parts originally built by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for use at the assembly plant on new cars. Manufacturer's usually order more than they need, to allow for rejected parts that have a defect serious enough to prevent it from being used on the assembly line, and for service replacements in the field. These extra parts often wind up at a storage facility somewhere sitting on a shelf, waiting for an order from a dealer, repair garage, or from an individual, or in a dealer's parts department as a spare. And there they sit, often for many years. Eventually, old stock is cleaned out and sold, often to companies or individuals who buy the whole lot and then later sell piece by piece.

Automobile manufacturers provide service replacement parts for a certain period of time, and after that they get rid of them to make way for parts for more recent models. There are companies that are in business to buy this surplus inventory and then sell it directly to consumers. And there's big money to be made doing this. But just because a part is NOS doesn't mean it is going to be good, nor does it mean it will be any better than the part needing to be replaced.

For instance, some parts that weren't deemed fit for installation on a new car on the assembly line might be considered acceptable as a service replacement. Chrome trim with flaws could be rejected on the line, but put into stock as a replacement for damaged parts on cars that have been in service for several years.

And don't forget shelf wear, a phenomenon that causes damage to new parts boxed up for long periods of time. These parts have likely been moved around, inventoried, stacked, and handled over the years, all of which can cause minor damage.

And the elements, such as time, also take their toll. Even though these parts aren't exposed to weather or use, they can still deteriorate sitting on a shelf. At any rate, in this case the NOS part is likely no better than the one that's been in service, and if it does work properly, it will likely become a problem quickly once it's been put to use. So a NOS part might not be as pristine as one would expect.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:23 am

Jonah D'Avella wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:27 pm
Jonah...A former job mentor of mine once told me when I said "I have a stupid question".... he replied, "there are no
stupid questions Tim, only stupid answers". Pretty good words.

big2bird
First Name: Jeffrey
Last Name: Hausey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Early 23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51193

Post by big2bird » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:56 am

Jonah,
I hate to add this, but NOS can and is used to deceive.
Flea Bay is a prime example. Remember, if it doesnt ring true, it may not be as they would lead you to believe.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster

Post by 2nighthawks » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:24 pm

Jonah - For what it's worth, you did "NOT" ask a "stupid question"! As you can see, a lot of "sage wisdom" has been written here by several very knowledgable people! I betting that many who have read this thread besides you, have have gained some very valuable and "GOOD TO KNOW" information here due to the question you asked! I've noticed that you have often asked questions that have led to some very interesting and informative answers. One more good reason that this hobby needs more young fellows like you,.....harold :)

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster

Post by 2nighthawks » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:30 pm

Jonah - One more thing I should have said in my post just above:

I wonder how many other old guys besides me have read something here on the forum, and would be willing to admit that they have often had to say to themselves,...."well I'll be darned! I didn't know that!" I know I have, and I personally think that even the most knowledgable person on this forum doesn't know EVERYTHING! ........even if they think they do! :roll:

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:45 pm

Lots of horror stories here about NOS parts. I think a buyer should always be wary and careful. More important though, I also would like to add when you buy an old car part from a reputable source, you should be able to rest easy. As a buyer and seller of old car parts for 50 years now, rest easy, when I use the term N.O.S. Or NORS, it is only after careful examination. If it has been used, even lightly , that should be mentioned. I’m sure I’ve probably made a mistake or 3 after tens of thousands of transactions, but honestly can’t recall. The other large sellers and friends I know are certainly also very careful.
Ford early on was famous for calling out and culling “spurious” parts, and even took pains to have mechanics destroy used parts beyond reuse. Purchasing a truly NOS T part that is defective is the very small exception, and certainly not the rule, from my experience.
It’s an amazing history of Lizzie that NOS parts still are available, and should be treasured. But as always, buyer beware.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic