POSTAL ISSUES please read.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

POSTAL ISSUES please read.

Post by Dropacent » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:39 pm

This is just a small vent to let people know what’s going on. As a seller of Old Car Parts, we use the post office a lot. Fedex for larger items. It appears current things are moving a bit better now, but I read an article last night that there are still mountains of stuff for the guys and gals to get through from the past month or so. In all my life, the PO has never lost a package. I’m confident that record will continue. Now they have huge issues with staff getting Covid, and on top of that the political interference has really gummed up the inner working. Right now we have about a half dozen checks in the mail to us, and some from a month ago. We have customers that want to stop payment and resend, and both are rather costly, and may run into the same issues. Unless you are in a hair on fire hurry, just relax. JUST RELAX ! PayPal is one way to speed up payment, but some people don’t like to use that, and the issue is still the item has to make the trip to the buyer.
Our carrier is often here after dark some nights, so these poor guys and gals are and have been working overtime for many months now. I’m reading some since summer. They are keeping the holiday temps on until they catch up. We just have to be patient, things will get back to normal soon.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: POSTAL ISSUES please read.

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:43 pm

You're lucky they've never lost a package. I sent a speedometer cable to Russ Furstnow. It got to somewhere in Arizona but never made it to Flagstaff. Because it wasn't a new product with a store receipt the so-called insurance was worthless. I no longer waste money on the insurance.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

jelenbaas
First Name: James
Last Name: Elenbaas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout, 1916 Delivery, 1925 Roadster PU, 1926 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 14027

Post by jelenbaas » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:25 pm

We received a Christmas card on January 20 which was mailed on December 14 from 350 miles away in the same state. Could have walked it here faster.

Topic author
Dropacent
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:36 pm

I can beat that James . A Christmas present mailed from an hour away, Priority. Posted on dec 14 , recd Jan 18. The chocolate was still delicious. Malleys is the best !
Last edited by Dropacent on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:39 pm

The tracking has helped us immensely, Steve. Connie takes care of that, but don’t think it’s too complicated. They even track first class now. I like to joke that the only thing ever gets “lost” is someone’s check to us. It used to be a joke.

sweet23
First Name: Darryl
Last Name: Bobzin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2, '25 T Runabouts, '14 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27211
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by sweet23 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:14 pm

Seems there is no way to tell which package from where will take the longest. I have had deliveries from across the country take just a few days, and I have had them take a few weeks. Doesnt seem to matter from which direction it is coming from either.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:01 pm

I purchased two antique like-items recently. One out of Maine, the other Vermont.
I am about as far away from these two places as one can get without getting on a boat
or crossing a border. I sent checks to each. Both were to send the item once the check
cleared. The Maine item arrived here two weeks ago, about a week after I sent the check.
The Vermont guy just got the check, and said he will mail the item next week Last time
I checked, Maine and Vermont are next to each other, and upon investigation, the two
sellers are only 45 minutes drive apart ! Go figure.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:37 pm

sweet23 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:14 pm
Seems there is no way to tell which package from where will take the longest. I have had deliveries from across the country take just a few days, and I have had them take a few weeks. Doesnt seem to matter from which direction it is coming from either.

Isn't that the truth! I was sweating bullets on a set of NOS Center Caps for my OT 67 Toro that I won on Ebay. Shipped Dec 9th from Florida, arrived here in Northern Ohio Jan 6th & only had one notification on the tracking that it was in transit on Dec 14th. Yet I had a pair of license plate frames come from Seattle to here & it only took 3 days! Both were shipped USPS Priority Mail.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:32 pm

Service is good here. I've only had a few small issues.

One of the things affecting service is the amount of Amazon packages + other internet deliveries.

With the pandemic, more and more people are ordering on Amazon Prime with two or three day shipping.

My SO has been a mail carrier for almost 20 years and she has never seen the volume of mail they are getting. In a little town like Dillon, Montana they were getting a truck of packages almost every day before Christmas. Nearly every one means you get out of the van, walk up to the door and deliver it. More help???? Nope, just add more stops to the carriers that are already doing everything they can.

We are having such an influx of people in Montana trying to get away from the riots and problems back east and in California that you can't find a place to rent and the real estate people are advertising for listings and land to buy to develop like you would not believe.

EVERY ONE of those people wants home delivery and last fall, Sandi got 90 rural boxes added to her driving part of her route. New people shop on the internet, they don't go to town to the store.

New post office rule: You must be back in the post office parking lot by 6 PM, they will pay NO overtime, if you don't have all your mail delivered you get written up for being slow, no matter what the roads are, the load was that day, whatever.

The carriers are also no longer allowed to chain up their little van. If they get a call to chain up or get stuck or are on a hill they can't pull without chains in those little POS vans, they have to call for chain service and wait -- sometimes two or three hours to get chains put on. But they still have to have their route delivered and back in by 6.

She has about a year and a half left.

Jeff Hood
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1923 Fordor, 1924 Martin Parry Canopy Express, 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25636

Post by Jeff Hood » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:24 pm

I recently entrusted USPS with delivery of a small package with a few parts. Regular six-day-delivery was $11.60 or I could send next-day for; YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!, the parts aren't worth that much! Then I was given a third option, second day delivery, for $11.75. Only fifteen cents more than six day delivery? Yes, that's right. So I sent them off for two-day delivery. It took seven days!

Weldemup57
First Name: Rich
Last Name: DiVirgilio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Speedster

Post by Weldemup57 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:47 pm

I have worked for the USPS for many years and can verify that the Postal Service is in VERY bad shape.
A majority of its delivery fleet is over 30+ years old and almost every office has daily breakdowns.
COVID has impacted the service badly-Thousands of employees are out sick or in quarantine.
New hires start at a much lower pay scale and are forced to work 12+ hr days just to keep up with the extra volume of parcels due to increased on-line shopping due to the COVID lock downs.
Some areas of the country are worse than others but the whole Postal system is struggling.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:14 pm

On December 18 I mailed a letter to my cousin in Denver. I wasn't paying attention and used her old address, so it was returned to me. Today. Five weeks later.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TWrenn
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:08 am

As the saying goes, "keep calm and carry on". Or, as in Taylor Swift's song... "you gotta calm down now...." or something like that, I never was very good at remembering lyrics, just remember HER!! :lol:

LVRR2095
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Taylor
MTFCA Number: 10631

Post by LVRR2095 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:57 am

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:01 pm
Last time
I checked, Maine and Vermont are next to each other, and upon investigation, the two
I live in Maine and I can tell you that Vermont is not next to Maine. You have the entire State of New Hampshire in between us!
:D
Keith

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:15 am

We have had snail mail in Canada for years so the slow down is normal , I have noticed a huge slow down in the US across all the couriers . I don't worry about the things I can't change, I just buy only what is a super good deal . The other problem is the closed border ,I can fly to the US but I can't drive to Pembina to get my mail.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:37 pm

Its refreshing (but almost unbelievable) to hear someone has never lost anything in the mail. I guess I shouldn't complain about my losing only two or three items in the last 10 years. Losing things is only part of the current postal systems problems. Much delayed delivery time is the other. I know COVID has contributed greatly to the problem, but if the USPS is losing that many employees, I'm sure there are some of those millions of Americans who have filed for unemployment in the last year, who would like to have a chance for a job. Hopefully the new administration will appoint a new Postmaster General who knows the postal system and its problems, instead of just appointing a "Good Ol Boy" appointment as the last administration did. Recently, I ordered something from Bob Bergstadt. It left Love's Park on 1/19. All mail to my suburb of San Antonio has to come through the San Antonio hub. This package did, but instead of being routed straight to my post office, it was routed (MISSENT, as the PO calls it) to the New Braunfels, TX post office 10 miles away. That was on 01/22. Tracking only says it was "missent" so I don't have any idea where it is at now.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:33 pm

ModelTWoods wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:37 pm
... Hopefully the new administration will appoint a new Postmaster General who knows the postal system and its problems, instead of just appointing a "Good Ol Boy" appointment as the last administration did. ...
I realize that one of the most popular sports these days is finding new things to blame on President Trump, but I believe that the Postmaster General is appointed by the Board of Governors of the U.S. Postal Service.

(My modest postal claim to fame is that my mother's second cousin was JFK's Postmaster General.)

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:58 pm

Don't confuse them with facts, Dick. Once they find somebody to blame nothing will ever change their mind.

You are absolutely correct as to how the Postmaster General is commissioned to the job.

Pep C Strebeck
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: M
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:59 pm

DLodge wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:33 pm
ModelTWoods wrote:
... Hopefully the new administration will appoint a new Postmaster General who knows the postal system and its problems, instead of just appointing a "Good Ol Boy" appointment as the last administration did. ...
but I believe that the Postmaster General is appointed by the Board of Governors of the U.S. Postal Service.

(My modest postal claim to fame is that my mother's second cousin was JFK's Postmaster General.)
That is correct, The Postmaster General is appointed by the Postal Board of Governors. The current board members were all appointed between 2018 and 2020 and that is the brain-trust that brought us Louis DeJoy our current Postmaster General.
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

LOOKING FOR A LUFKIN No. 9A Height Gage Attachment.

Topic author
Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:38 pm

First correct answer here gets a free firewall mounted oil can holder. $45 value. Who had a sign on his desk that said “ the Buck Stops Here “ and what was his middle name?

Ed Fuller
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Fuller
MTFCA Number: 29582
MTFCI Number: 22818
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ed Fuller » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:43 pm

President Harry Shipp Truman
Last edited by Ed Fuller on Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Dizer
Last Name: Dizer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 coupe, 1927 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 28610
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Bill Dizer » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:54 pm

Harry S Truman, the middle name is"S" nothing else.

schwabd1
First Name: David
Last Name: Schwab

Post by schwabd1 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:12 pm

Harry S Truman. His middle initial is to honor both of his Grandfathers, Anderson Shipp Truman and Solomon Young

Pep C Strebeck

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:04 pm

Billdizer,Spencer In wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:54 pm
Harry S Truman, the middle name is"S" nothing else.
Agreed, S and nothing more.

But depending on which guy you are talking about, it could be Bennett.
buckstopshere-2.gif
buckstopshere-2.gif (12.32 KiB) Viewed 5076 times
Colonel A.B. Warfield, 1942
"Remember son, there are two ways to do this: The right way, and your way” Thanks Dad, I love you too.

Ed Fuller

Post by Ed Fuller » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:16 pm

I guess I should have read more closely!

Topic author
Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:39 pm

Hmmmmmm. Nobody is right yet, but I’ll send one to Ed AND Bill. Harry Truman is correct, but he didn’t have a middle name. He got tired of telling people that, so he added the S. JMHO , but if you are in charge of ANYTHING, that’s where the buck stops. Take responsibility, wouldn’t that be refreshing? It’s pretty painless to say “ I made a mistake”. I tell wifey that multiple times a day.

Pep C Strebeck

Post by Pep C Strebeck » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:11 pm

I will hazard one more guess;

James Earl Carter

buckstop.jpg
Last edited by Pep C Strebeck on Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:06 am

Pep C Strebeck wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:59 pm
DLodge wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:33 pm
ModelTWoods wrote:
but I believe that the Postmaster General is appointed by the Board of Governors of the U.S. Postal Service.

That is correct, The Postmaster General is appointed by the Postal Board of Governors. The current board members were all appointed between 2018 and 2020 and that is the brain-trust that brought us Louis DeJoy our current Postmaster General.
I stand corrected for my misrepresentation of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy. He WAS appointed by the USPS Board of Governors, HOWEVER, every Governor on the USPS Board of Governors was APPOINTED by former President Trump (What a coincidence), and Louis DeJoy has been for years, a big Republican party fundraiser (another coincidence), and since he got so much 'heat'" last year for his handling of the postal service, I thought I had read that he was appointed. I should have researched him in the Wikipedia before posting.

Ed Fuller

Post by Ed Fuller » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:01 am

Thanks Tim, but I think only Bill should get it and not me. Technically my answer was not correct. I read to quickly and missed that President Truman’s middle name was just “S”.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:58 am

LVRR2095 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:57 am
Burger in Spokane wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:01 pm
Last time
I live in Maine and I can tell you that Vermont is not next to Maine. You have the entire State of New Hampshire in between us!
:D
Keith
=======================

:shock: WHAT ?!!! :shock:

Oh, great ! Now, they've gone and moved Maine !

Boy's, I think I found our postal delivery problem !!! :lol:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:26 am

Our son's birthday was December 12. We mailed him a card before that date, and he got it last week!
Norm

Topic author
Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Ed, my game, my rules, sorry you are getting one ,too. Just remember, old Harry didn’t have a middle name.

Bill Dizer

Post by Bill Dizer » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:09 pm

I had read that during the WW1-2 era, if a military personnel did not have a middle initial, the name was printed like Doe,John,NMI for no middle initial, and was on their dog tag that way too.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:28 pm

All my business sized envelopes seem to go through just fine. Any odd size takes longer. I am guessing COVID is the problem. Hats off to all the postal workers here in WI. They do a great job.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 pm

Saturday''s mail brought me the January Funny Times. Today the February issue arrived. I guess they're catching up. :)
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:22 pm

Last Tuesday I mailed a small package - 2x2x7, 12 oz - in the Hartford City, IN post office at 11:32 AM. It left at 4:32 PM. It was delivered south of Omaha on Thursday morning. I'd say that was pretty good. It was sent Priority Mail.

modeltspaz
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Spaziano
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 21699

Post by modeltspaz » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 pm

Billdizer. My dad was a WW II vet and had no middle name. It was just the other day I was explaining to a coworker that my dad would sign documents with "Anthony NMN Spaziano".
Knowledge that isn't shared, is wasted knowledge.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:33 pm

All I know is Maine is west of California by way of Russia and/or China, I've never heard back from anyone who I sent Christmas cards (making me think they got lost in the system), the US postal system wasn't as bad in the previous 56 years as it has been in the past 4, our postal workers are getting the raw end of a number of deals, and people sure love to tell others how screwed up a state they don't live in is... :?

I also know our local post office is innundated with contract packages from Amazon which has totally blown their time norms, they see that ugly smley truck pull up and start dumping and their hearts sink. Yet they still pull it off, as they are contracted to deliver these packages, giving Amazon it's smley face happy feel and making them look like dirt. DO they have a choice? Nope. Does it ruin their schedules, and make our carriers hate their jobs?

Well, you get told you get a pay cut, no OT, and guess what, here's an extra 40% more for you to do in the same time period. And it only costs you 10x as much to send a letter now as it did when we were kids...

I wonder if ol' Ben Franklin is spinning in his grave yet...

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:46 am

A friend got both the November - December 2020 Vintage Ford and the January February 2021 Model T Times on Saturday!

I do not have either one yet!

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:29 am

We get bills delivered that are already past due......... Christmas cards last week.....tracking info useless once a parcel gets to a major distribution center. Local postmaster did admit to a backlog and says as long as people order dogfood from the Walmart to be delivered by the postman, things are not going to get a lot better. I thought the PO was hurting for business when UPS and FEDEX took their business?????????????

Duckwing
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup

Post by Duckwing » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:49 am

I’m waiting on an item that arrived in Memphis (90 miles away) 16 days ago. Usually the next destination is my local post office. It has instead now been to two other mail centers (one 40 miles away) and is now back in Memphis. Fortunately I’m not in a big hurry.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:11 am

Just got word that some parts arrived at a customer's 15 days after shipping them 3 day USPS priority mail. At least they arrived!

Bill Dizer

Post by Bill Dizer » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:09 am

I received my oil can holder from Tim promptly, no delay in postal mail! Thanks Tim, it's a great piece!

Ed Fuller

Post by Ed Fuller » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:24 am

Thank you Tim!

My can holder was delivered yesterday also. It will look great on the firewall of my speedster!

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:13 am

modeltspaz wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:36 pm
Billdizer. My dad was a WW II vet and had no middle name. It was just the other day I was explaining to a coworker that my dad would sign documents with "Anthony NMN Spaziano".
Mike, when I was in the Air Force, a friend of mine also had no middle name. In his case, the abbreviation in use at the time was "(NMI)," which stood for "No Middle Initial." He was Jewish and used to tell people that "Nimmi" was an ancient Hebrew name. :D

Topic author
Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:00 pm

Current mail has improved dramatically. We are back to sending first class. HOWEVER, still have 5 orders way overdue. We believe they are in the mountains of stuff still to get through. We are getting letters 2 or 3 weeks dated. I’m an optimist, the postal guys and gals are some of my personal hero’s !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic