Starter bendix asssembly

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Starter bendix asssembly

Post by Allan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:25 am

I have been rebuilding some Bendix drives for T's. Most have loose/detached balance rings and missing collar pin and spring sets. To fit the pin and spring, the hardened steel bearing sleeve has to be removed. That has me pondering if there is a certain orientation for the drive gear/balance ring on the drive thread.

The thread has three starts, so the gear and ring can be fitted in three orientations. No matter which way I assemble the 5 I am working on, they all vary. Generally the pin/spring hole ends up somewhat past the Bendix spring bolt hole in the drive head end. It means the heavy side of balance ring is roughly in line with the ears on the Bendix spring. Is that how it should be, or does it not matter?

Allan from down under.

DHarrison
First Name: David
Last Name: Harrison
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 276
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Starter bendix asssembly

Post by DHarrison » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:56 pm

I have rebuilt and welded the balance ring on several Bendix and I don't think it matters.

Jim
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Booth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51340
MTFCI Number: 25259

Post by Jim » Mon May 03, 2021 10:39 pm

Hi Allan
I'm also fixing the bendix and noticed from some pictures posted here that my gear ring is lined up differently than some and not all seem to be the same either. I had to weld my ring back onto my gear and wondered if it was welded back on 180 degrees out, as the indexing on the gear and ring fits one of two ways. I may try starting the gear on a different start groove.
I do have a question though, did all gears and rings come with a pin and spring as mine doesn't seem to have ever been drilled for a pin and of course wasn't there when it came apart. Do I need it? Please disregard my question if I'm breaking forum rules or protocols. jim

DHarrison
First Name: David
Last Name: Harrison
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 276
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DHarrison » Tue May 04, 2021 1:06 am

The pin and ring slides into a little groove and in theory prevents the gear from vibrating forward and getting into the ring gear without the starter shaft spinning.

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Tue May 04, 2021 1:32 am

Hi Allen,
I was taught to weld ( braze ) the counter weight. The pin and spring are to prevent the drive from engauging under gravity & inertia. I was wondering if other than a bad accident if a Model T ever expiriances those forces ? Still I do think it is important. As far as timing the drive I have no idea if it makes any differance. Don't all of the threads end up on the round?
Craig.

Topic author
Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue May 04, 2021 4:35 am

I found that bronzing the counterweight on required a deal of heat. I did one, then resorted to silver solder. By using a Dremel tool to make bare contacts, the silver solder flowed much better, made a neater job and required much less heat.

Timing the gear on the threads does not seem to make any difference. One pin does ride a little off centre on the top of the thread, but is OK.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic