This younger generation... literally lost...

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

This younger generation... literally lost...

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:28 am

Have you recently asked a younger person for directions? Not only do they not know how to read a map, they don't know how to tell you how to get from point A to point B. All they know is how to put an address into their phone and do what it says. They don't know north from south, they don't know landmarks.

Yesterday I called a local bank and asked the girl where they were located. She did not know the name of the main road they are on, and it is a major east-west road in the area. She works in a bank, answers the phone, and does NOT know the road it is on or how to get there!

And worst of all, that is typical for her generation. Think I am off base? Ask anyone under thirty the best way to get somewhere. They can't do it without consulting their phone.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: This younger generation... literally lost...

Post by DLodge » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:55 am

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:22 am

They can't make change without a calculator either.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 am

Tmodelt wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:22 am
They can't make change without a calculator either.
Some struggle WITH a calculator !! :roll:
Attachments
IMG_3823.PNG

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:00 am

I am afraid the bright ones stay indoors playing video games and tuning their computers. I know they always can help me navigate my system. We don't often see them as they avoid grumpy old men and car buffs. They commute to their high-paying jobs in tall buildings in their little electric cars wearing big hats, sunglasses and flannel shirts to protect them from the sun. I have liked the flannel shirts as they remind me of the grumpy old cars guys when I was a kid. Perhaps there is hope for the ones we don't see.
Rich
When did I do that?

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:13 am

The local "authorities" are running radio ads, depicting various 9-1-1 calls, where the
dispatcher tries in vain to get the caller to ID their location, so emergency help can be
sent. The callers are pretty funny, being so clueless. On the other hand, I am a strong
believer in letting personal freedom and Darwin's Law of self-elimination run its course,
uninterrupted. Let everyone have the freedom to not learn to be aware of their surroundings,
and as part of that personal freedom, reap all that comes with it. Who are others to tell
the clueless that their lives are any more important than their own life choices are for
themselves ?

Freedom to thrive. Freedom to fail. The true definition of freedom.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:02 pm

I spent about 15 minutes writing a post this morning and the forum died again when I tried to publish it so.
Not all of them.
My girl is a freshman at Stanford in Palo Alto.
Dean's list first semester.
State champion old time fiddler twice - youth division.
Playing fiddle and guitar in a couple bluegrass and western swing groups in college.
6 years state top ten girls cross country runner.
Likes to take her 48 CJ2A and her .22 and go gopher hunting with her best friend.
Valedictorian of her class, 4 years class president.
Only Montana girl accepted to Stanford class of 2018 from a school of 70 kids.
Boy graduating from U of M in May with honors in Computer coding.
Full ride scholarship for 4 years, works on a roofing crew and tutors younger students for skiing and dirt bike money. Mentors some freshman and sophomores twice a week for free.
They are not all worthless IDIOTS.

James_B_NC
First Name: James
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster

Post by James_B_NC » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:32 pm

Thanks Stan, we’re not all worthless. I had enough sense to go into a trade and start making decent money without getting trapped into massive student loan debt. I’m 23 by the way.
The forum's resident Millennial.

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:42 pm

Truth James !!
Not all fit into the same mold.
But truthfully, the younger ones are not taught a lot of things that us older people always took for granted...depending on who does the teaching.

Higher education is great for some, not everyone. Blue collar jobs are still needed and pay well. Good for you James.

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:54 pm

I went to our local hardware store a few years back, in order to purchase a couple of plumbing items. I had $20 in my wallet, so I walked around keeping track of the item prices as I went. I plopped the items on the counter and the young lady quickly scanned them then announced that my total was $7.93. "Can't be...." I said, "Look at the prices on the screen and add them up. It's at least fifteen bucks."

She stared at the prices on the screen like she was mesmerized, then said "Sir, I've been using this scanner for six months. It's always right".

"Really?" I said. "Scan them again". She ran them all through and this time the total was $15.68.

Again she looked at the screen. "I don't understand" she said.....

I paid for the items and reminded her that any shortage from her register would probably come from her pay.......

My wife works for the school district at our local high school, in charge of placing kids in real jobs for work experience (a state sponsored program). She's told me that there are kids in the upper classes with a second grade reading level, yet the State of California insists that they be pushed towards graduation. So, WE'RE the ones creating the problem.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Those of us whose progeny are the exception should be proud. Those whippersnappers
who ARE the exception should be prouder still. But in the main, it is the current trend to
raise kids incabable of independent and critical thought, personal awareness, accountability,
and any sense of service beyond self, or personal honor. As an employer, I deal with the
challenge of clueless drones regularly. Friends also in my position report the same. In fact,
it is the most regular part of our conversations to compare "horror stories" of seemingly
intelligent 20-somethings saying or doing inconceivably stupid things. We can laugh for
hours, but it is quite pathetic, really. I'll be dead and gone soon enough, and these masters
of self-indulgence will rule the world. Some times I think my timing on earth was perfect. :lol:

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Tom is right. George gets it.
It is our fault. It is human nature to want your kids to have it better than you did. Providing more for them than you had. Moving to town and off the farms. After a few generations it catches up. The mechanicl knowledge of how to fix the tractor in the field, or the milking machine to finish milking. Trying out for the ball team instead of just join ing for the partisipation trophy. Learning to count change from a cash draw because the boss stood over you and made sure you counted it back properly.

There are good ones out there. Most are good kids but lack the experiences we had to learn from.
We have some fine young people on the fire department that want to learn. I am amazed at what they dont know as much as the are at what I dont know. We have one manual shift truck left in the fleet and none of them can drive it. I cant figure out my phone but they can.
I met some fine young folks with their own T's at OCF last year. They were wrenching on their own cars as well. I do get frustrated with them. My son is not mechanical at all. He pays someone to do that.
He came to the job site one day as I was on stilts cutting in paint around the ceiling with a brush. He said he wished he could do that. I told him it takes practice.
He has painter at his house today. Go figure.

I put my time into the ones that want to learn something and pass on what I have learned to those. I dont try to beat it into the couch potatos.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:45 pm

In the coming years this generation will not be looked back at all. It will be forgotten as something that should not have happened at all. Useless ignorant twits.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:54 am

When I speak of an entire generation I have to generalize. Not every person in that generation will fit the mold.

But consider NAPA, Advance, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's - every one of them around here is primarily staffed by younger than 25 year olds who can operate a computer. They want to know year, make, and model, or part number. That makes sense, but if you want a modern part for your Model T they don't have a clue. Usually they can find someone older in the store who can help you. But the stores are set up for employees with computer skills which these young ones have, but that is all they have, no automotive experience at all. So they can work in any store that uses a computer to determine which part is needed, but as far as practical experience they don't know what a spark plug is or how to find one that fits a T.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:04 pm

I have a 25 year old co-worker. He and I were going to Chattanooga. Headed up I-75 North, about 20 miles outside of Chattanooga, he asks "Have we been through Atlanta yet?" I kid you not. He missed going through Atlanta! Wanna talk about situational awareness? How the hell do you miss Atlanta?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:14 pm

He missed Atlanta because he was texting. But look at the bright side, at least he knew you had to go through Atlanta to get to Chattanooga. That is a lot more than most of the kids realize. Most would not recognize it as a major city, let alone a landmark along the way to your destination. Guarantee you Sherman's troops knew what it was and what it signified, but of course that was decades ago.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:51 pm

I never fully realized the depth of the scars left by "scorched earth policy" and Sherman's "March to the Sea" until I met my friend Hank some thirty years ago. He was in his early 60s at the time, and when I learned he hailed from Dalton, Georgia, I remarked, "That's where Sherman entered Georgia." Hank's eyes narrowed, he grew very serious, and with great emotion said, "That son of a bitch wasn't even human." Yup. A few decades . . . fifteen and a half now. I suppose the memory will fade eventually. Maybe it already has ?
"Get a horse !"

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:00 pm

906957.jpg
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:05 pm

907170.jpg
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Hal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Dennis,

I used Audie Murphy as an example just yesterday in a conversation at work about this very subject. Timley post. It's a real shame, but your pic is dead on. Thank you.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Gents,

All I gotta say is, trying being an employer of these individuals ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you don't find a dark humor in it, you will go mad. There is a reason all my employees
are vets. Not a vet ? Don't even ask. No, we don't have safe rooms, and yes, I am going to
talk to you like a DI. Of course, even though young themselves, these guys know the problem,
and are exceptions to the rule. But they are hard to find. We have a lot of laughs at work
BECAUSE we joke around, talk rough, call each other names, etc. Get a few snowflake civi's
in the mix and the whole show would implode. From an inability to push themselves hard, to
being too "in touch" with their feelings, to just being limp-wristed "metro" hipster wannabees,
most "kids" these days couldn't mow a lawn without taking a break, filing a complaint for "abuse",
and wanting to get paid 100x the going rate for doing a crap job.

In 25 years, I will be gone and these little darlings can Kumbaya all day long as they collect a
check from a society that is increasingly unfamiliar with concepts like sweat, dirt under the finger-
nails and personal satisfaction from doing a job well. Passion for excellence ? What do you mean
by that ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hal

Post by Hal » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:38 am

I was talking with one of our vendors. He runs a family owned business (High end CNC machine shop) and was advertising to hire an employee. One of the questions on his application is "Why should we hire you?" His wife, who also works there, called him to tell him that they had someone apply. To that question, the applicant listed 2-3 typical responses followed by "And I'm hot". So this guy jokingly told his wife "Tell her to come in for an interview." She said "It's a guy."

Now......who the "L" puts on a job application that one of their qualifications is being hot? Really?

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:36 am

There are plenty of GOOD KIDS out there I have met a few who even ask me intelligent questions about my T (how many gears does it have how do they operate etc). Most of them are home schooled like my Grand's. I taught my grandson how we counted change when I worked for Winn Dixie (your purchase sir or madam was 15.65 so this is 15.75, 16.00, 17.00, 18.00, 19.00 and the last one makes 20.00. Before he went overseas for missionary work he worked at HD and said if he counted change that way the people under 40 had no idea what he was doing, but for the older people they would say something like how nice young man I haven't had my change counted back to me in a long while thank you so much. then he noticed that most of the older people would tell the manager about it. The manager being slightly over 40 asked him to teach all the other cashiers and gave then instructions that everyone over 50 would get their change counted back to them. :D
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:42 am

All generations have had their lost youth. The 1920's come to mind. As a retired teacher, I can tell you that there are plenty of clueless kids out there but there are others that are every bit as capable and motivated as the best of any generation before. True, we don't embrace many of the things that are part of modern kid's daily lives but you can't stop change. Me, I try to introduce young people to other activities, such as working on Model T's :-)

Back in 1909, automobiles were seen by many as the ruination of family values...The Cole Porter song “Keep Away From the Fellow Who Owns an Automobile” is instructive:
Keep away from the fellow who owns an automobile
He'll take you far in his motor car
Too darn far from your Pa and Ma
If his forty horsepower goes sixty miles an hour say
Goodbye forever, goodbye forever
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:44 am

That's great, G.R.

We all have only the power to influence the few around us, but some times .... :D

"Poisoning" the minds of youth with old ways thinking is my life objective.

Mindless Automaton
First Name: Kep
Last Name: Kerensky
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 truck, 26 bug
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Mindless Automaton » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:10 pm

I can't navigate by GPS. I can't tell you street names. I tried using a GPS to find a street I've been down 1,000 times in a town I've lived near for 20 years. Took me an hour. I could have walked there in 20 minutes.

But I can find my way around a mountainside ok. I don't know where I am, but I can find my way to the coast or to a gas station from there. Or go up the top & figure out where I am from other mountains, the one with the huge radar dish on it is about 20K from my house so I can walk home from there.

Mindless Automaton

Post by Mindless Automaton » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:04 pm
I have a 25 year old co-worker. He and I were going to Chattanooga. Headed up I-75 North, about 20 miles outside of Chattanooga, he asks "Have we been through Atlanta yet?" I kid you not. He missed going through Atlanta! Wanna talk about situational awareness? How the hell do you miss Atlanta?
I could miss atlanta. I have no idea what it looks like. If you asked me, I'd have thought it was coastal.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:11 pm

I-75 through Atlanta and missing the city ? The skyscrapers weren't a clue ? Was
this guy blindfolded or riding in the trunk ? :roll: :lol:

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Atlanta has skyscrapers?
Every time I have seen it, I was white knuckling it going 85 to 90 mph trying not to get run over. No time to look around.

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by TonyB » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Like it or not they are a product of the environment WE created. I have two grandkids, they are as sharp as a whip and far more worldly wise than I ever was at that age. Times change, I suppose all your grandparents complained that you young kids would starve as you had no idea how to run a farm. I remember being most surprised when as a teenage, I found peas grew in a pod😊😊
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:43 pm

I am sick and tired of all this "we" and "our" BS about society, I didn't have anything to do with creating the society that produced all the lazy/dumb kids - all the political correctness. I fought it at every step that I could. I have three kids, all college grads with no debt and all making well over $100k/year, and two graduated in the top 1% of there class - in Mechanical Engineering and Biochemistry. Two also have post grad degrees. (All this was back in the '90's). The grandkids are just now starting to graduate from college - also with no debt and top of their class. Any of them can change a tire on their car and pretty much anything else they decide to do. FWIW, they are all farm kids.

I agree that society is a mess, but I didn't create it and don't appreciate being included in the group that did.

I know you don't mean it that way, but I'd appreciate it if you would phrase it correctly.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Any sort of grumpiness I have for this subject comes from this suggestion that 'WE" created
this. I want no part of this "WE" business, be it playing a part in the mindless automatron
culture or accepting the product being forced upon me. Wifey No.2 had a pair of little darlings
that she coddled and "protected" from the horrible big, harsh world. By the time they were
fledging age, they were as unprepared to live life as an adult as they were when they were
children. Sure, they could program electronic devices and achieve some make believe high
achievement rank on a video game, but they could not find their way out of a paper bag. Wifey
and I fought large and angry battles over her handling of the kids. In the end, they weren't mine,
she held the stronger hand, and I backed away. Both are well-versed today in the drug and crime
culture and bound for success, raking in that minimum wage, because they were "protected" from
real life, ... in spite of any efforts I made.

The ultimate funny story of this came when Darling Child No.1 began learning how to drive. Mom
flipped out over the spastic driving of a greenhorn, so it became my designated duty to take her out
driving on summer evenings. This went on for a while, and one night at dinner, she told me that this
was going to be the night we had "the talk". I wasn't sure what that meant, but after dinner we got in
the car and went driving. At some point she pulled over, shut off the engine, and let me know that
I didn't "have to" get her a new BMW, but a nice late model one would be OK, so long as she got to pick
the color. She was dead serious. 16 years old, no job, no savings (remember Mommy ?), and she honestly
thought the world owed her a new or late model BMW !

Putting on my best parental hat, I informed her that what I was about to say, she was not going to like,
and would not understand until she was at least 35, or had kids this age of her own. I went on to explain
that, as a parent, my job was to raise happy, responsible adults. And that giving a car to a child is cheating
that child out of the life learning experience of working so hard to buy that car they want so bad. It would
be cheating them of such a deeply valuable sense of personal accomplishment, and that no one appreciates
and cares for a car like the person who really had to bust their hump to get it. The message was lost on
the starry-eyed lass, who genuinely felt she was born into royalty and mistakenly separated from her righteous
place of posh and effortless living. Things went downhill for her from there.

Peas from a pod ? I am guessing Ma and Pa didn't have you out hoeing rows in the garden after
school all summer long. :lol:

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by TonyB » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:39 am

Burger - Garden, what’s that???
I was brought up in the dock area of a Manchester, England and the front door opened onto a busy street and the back door to an alley.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Gardening, canning, drying...my grandparents did it all. And lived next door. Apple, pear, cheery trees, grapes and blackberries. Pies, cobbler, apple dumplings, homemade applesauce...Yum Yum !! Grandpa was born dirt poor in KY in 1897. With both feet turned in from Rheumatic fever as a boy, he migrated to Akron and worked for BF Goodrich for 35 years.
Hard work was the only way back then, and I value the experience. We still plant a garden when we can.

The biggest problem with those who aren't "learnt" this stuff, is they will wither and die if the power grid goes down or any other disasters. IMHO

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Reading over this post again, I was reminded of what my Father told me if I complained about the chores I was assigned (the only one I really hated was babysitting my younger siblings) "One of these day's son you are going to have a rude awakening when you realize that the world does not owe you a living. I just hope it is not too late when that happens." :oops:
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:06 pm

I got similar advice from my old man, in the form of angry rants that went something
like this:

I don't owe you a $#@ thing. The world deosn't owe you a $#@ thing. Now get to work
before I beat your #@!

Dad kept a blackboard in the laundry room. Each kid had a list of chores. Most never
changed. I had responsibility for all things related to the horses, ... the barn, the hay,
the fences, and the moving of the horses from pasture to pasture. I mucked the stalls,
fed them, cleaned the corral, and patrolled the fences every day. On top of that I sorted
the trash for all things burnable, burned the paper stuff, and placed what wasn't into trash
cans, sorted into metal, plastic, yuck, etc.. It was also my job to patrol the 1/2 mile long
road and correct any erosion issues/potholes that might develop before it was noticeable
when driving. Then there was the variable stuff he dreamed up daily. Cutting trees, hauling
in firewood, splitting and stacking. There might be painting, ... anything.
My brother dealt with the dogs/kennels. Sis got household chores.

It was pretty early on that I figured out I liked "nice stuff" and that "nice stuff" cost money.
I also heard the above advice that I was not to look to Ma and Pa for money, which led to lots
of lawn mowing, orchard pruning, haying, anything around the local farms, to pay for things
like fixing up old cars, road trips, etc. When friends began to drink and get into drugs, I was
too busy working, and frugal to waste money of deadend things like that. For this, I am eternally
grateful.

I had a few friends whose parents bought them cars, paid for stuff, but most around me had
to work for the things they wanted. Those who had the world handed to them lacked a certain
drive that the rest of us had. They largely ended up fat and in bad health early. Looking around
at the clueless chubmonkey kids I see so many of today, I don't need a crystal ball to know how
this is going to turn out. This ain't my Grandparents' America anymore.

Ned Protexter
First Name: Ned
Last Name: Protexter
Board Member Since: 2004

Post by Ned Protexter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:26 am

UGH....This crap again.

"we need young people"
"why don't young people want these cars?"
"young people are so dumb"

The circle of the Model T forum continues...

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:59 pm

My comments are about character. Character matters. How that crosses with age
groups is just an observation. I find it a challenge to find 20-somethings to employ
because they lack all sense of Duty and Honor. Their personal drive for mission and
service beyond self just isn't part of the hard drive like it was before. That's not to
say I do not find some upstanding, go-to guys. It just takes a lot of digging. And those
young guys I do find tell me they are pretty embarrassed by their age group for the
same reasons. So, it isn't just some misguided grumpy old dude (me) baselessly belly-
-aching about "kids these days".

Hal

Post by Hal » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:47 am

My two boys are also an exception, and they both make fun of others their age that are like the ones mentioned in this thread. The oldest didn't really inherit the mechanical gene, but most certainly inherited the honor gene. At age 18-19 he was a Marine fighting in Iraq and a couple of years later, in Afghanistan. He is now a police officer working for peanuts and dealing with the scum of the earth daily and has to hear what a POS he is from politicians and newscasters. The other one has yet to find an engine he cannot make run, even after sitting up for decades. His worst fault is not knowing when to quit bringing home '67-'79 Ford trucks. He is up to 4-5 now ranging from F-100's to F-500.

Loftfield
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:12 am

If you walk into a house and there is a light flashing on the front of the media centre it means a teenager does NOT live there! I know how to use about 5% of what my cell phone can do, because I don't need the rest. On the other hand, we older folks have available a secret code that the younger set cannot break....cursive handwriting!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:17 am

Etslay alktay igpay atinlay. Eyhtay on'tway owknay atwhay e'reway ayingsay. :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:35 am

Ned Protexter wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:26 am
UGH....This crap again.

"we need young people"
"why don't young people want these cars?"
"young people are so dumb"

The circle of the Model T forum continues...
Oh absolutely. It's only the smart young people that will pay three times what a T is worth, sink 20K-30K in it then buy a 30K towing rig to haul it 1000 miles or more to take a 100 mile drive. If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? :D

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 pm

Perhaps we are spending time in the wrong places. We had a younger fellow visit us a few months ago who knew more about Ts than most T guys I know. He was delightful. Then two fellows tried to get us to come to their car show. Both had nice speedsters and were on the right track. I say young because they were half my age. Yes, I know the kids who can't make change or remember your order too. Some of them will become successful at something. I remember a teenager who we called "Vaporlock". He was always asking stupid questions and getting in trouble. He owns a thriving business now and employs dozens of people. Sure it's fun to point out others shortcomings and vent our frustrations but are we pushing new T owners away. I'm sure they could start a thread on grumpy old men like all the ones we knew when we were that age. OK, sorry if I'm picking on the wrong folks.
I think there is hope.
Rich
When did I do that?

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:52 pm

My lead guy is 25 years old. Army vet. We walked all over the same ground in AFG. We
have a lot in common, in spite of having almost nothing in common. But he has that "spark".
The spark to look outside his own paradigm and ask questions. When he first came on board,
he was a classic "dumb kid". Drove recklessly fast, listened to music I thought sounded more
like the screaming of wounded being loaded out for a medivac, smoked, did drugs, generally
not a good prospect. Today, he's two years skilled, can run a lot of the ops and crew, complains
about stupid drivers and understands his place in coming home safe at the end of the day for
his wife and kid. No smoke, no drugs, maybe a beer with lunch, and he now understands musical
construction, and what requires talent and what doesn't.

Sure, there are kids out there who have potential. And as oldsters, it is incumbent upon US
to cultivate those people when we see them. BUT ! Our pop culture is not making it very easy
for kids to grow up with any sort of organic connection to dirt, rust, flora and fauna, grease,
sweat, or have any idea of the concept of personal place in the community, and Duty and Honor.

My lead guy often ribs me about being old. Old in my thinking. Old in my attitude toward things
outside my "box". We have a lot of laughs. It is a give-and-take situation. He is an excellent "bridge"
to reaching out to other young recruits because he can see more than just his young punk paradigm.

Mindless Automaton

Post by Mindless Automaton » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Hal wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:47 am
working for peanuts and dealing with the scum of the earth daily and has to hear what a POS he is from politicians and newscasters.
I'm tired of hearing that too.
Steve Jelf wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:17 am
Etslay alktay igpay atinlay. Eyhtay on'tway owknay atwhay e'reway ayingsay. :D
Utbay iay verneay earedlay igpay atinlay.

Edit: quote function is broken, i suspected that might happen. bring back html

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:25 pm

Pig Latin is easier to speak than read !! :? :lol:

Hal

Post by Hal » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:53 am

Mindless Automation,

Could you please clarify? Are you tired of hearing that because you think it's true and would like for things to improve for them so they do not have to do what they do for what they do it for? Or are you saying that you believe they get paid appropriately and/or they don't really have to deal with what I said they have to deal with?

StvHump
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Humphrey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1

Post by StvHump » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:24 am

I was giving a class the other day, I was explaining how something works. Then I made the statement that I am full of USELESS INFORMATION...Later while talking to my boss. (He is 22yrs younger than me.) I just mentioned how I know so many things and they are in my head. His statement was,
"Well you had to learn it all and you didn't have Google. Today they just Google it and go on."
I thought that may be the answer to a lot of things.

Mindless Automaton

Post by Mindless Automaton » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Hal wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:53 am
Mindless Automation,

Could you please clarify? Are you tired of hearing that because you think it's true and would like for things to improve for them so they do not have to do what they do for what they do it for? Or are you saying that you believe they get paid appropriately and/or they don't really have to deal with what I said they have to deal with?
They have to deal with the good, the bad, and every misunderstanding in between. Not all of them handle it well but...
I think you missed the point. Have you ever noticed how the media plays everyone against each other? Imagine how much better your life would be if everyone though knew that what the media prints was lies and misinformation & treated such false data with the contempt it deserves.

Hal

Post by Hal » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:36 pm

I'm not getting into a political discussion with you, but if you think my son is paid well, or doesn't have to deal with people that most never even know exist, then you are wrong.

Mindless Automaton

Post by Mindless Automaton » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:03 pm

I don't recall saying either of those things.

Hal

Post by Hal » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:44 pm

You said you were tired of hearing it. I asked you to clarify. Your response clarified nothing, so i laid it out. If I've misunderstood what you're tired of hearing, then you have my apology. If not, then you know what I think.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:38 pm

Among young adults, living arrangements differ significantly by gender. For men ages 18 to 34, living at home with mom and/or dad has been the dominant living arrangement since 2009. In 2014, 28% of young men were living with a spouse or partner in their own home, while 35% were living in the home of their parent(s).

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016/05 ... year-olds/

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:01 pm

Wow. Now, there is a hot topic at my house and amongst my friends, ... that living-in
-mommy's-basement adult age male that society is now adaptively assigning the term "man"
to, dropping the whole "grown up", responsible, taking-care-of-business behavior part as
a requirement of what it means to be "a man".

Got a whole $#!pot full of clients who coddle their basement-living adult age kids and
can't seem to figure out "where it all went wrong" ! These clients have a perverted twist
on the Baby Boomer mantra that they want their kids to have it better than they did, in
the process, never forcing them grow up. Pathetic as it is, it sure does provide for a lot
of comedy here in the audience.

This ain't my grandparents' America anymore.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:55 pm

Several generations living together is not new. Before the twentieth century it was fairly common.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:14 am

Did these pre-20th century younger generations living at home sit in the basement
and play video games ? Or were they contributing members to the family and community ?

The type I am referring to are the former. Seems to be a trend that has come about
since I was a kid. I cannot remember anyone I grew up around being allowed to sloth
about into adulthood. They were shown the door and fledged, just as they were raised
to do. It was either go to college, get a job, or just get out. There was no just staying
and mooching off Mom and Dad option. As I remember it, we were all pretty excited to
finally get out and on our own, and it would have been horribly embarrassing to be "that
guy" who was still living with his parents. We had a word for those guys: "LOSER !" :lol:

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:28 am

They had to go out and work. Nineteenth century video games were too boring. :D
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:48 am

Pre 20th century/turn off the century.
Youth had zero choice...sink or swim. Or they were overseas fighting for the freedom of today's kids to hangout in mummy's basement playing games till their 30s.
My father turned 18 in 42, by February of 43, he was in the S Pacific getting shot at. (Talk about being offended !) Not drafted, he joined the Navy, to do his part. He would've gone sooner, but grandma was not having it.
When I was a kid, other than evening family TV, I was only allowed to watch the boob tube for 1 hour in the daytime and was told "go outside and play"... ;)
Video games were my bicycle or Lincoln Logs !!

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:33 am

Speaking of boring 19th Century video games . . .

Got me thinking - how many of these boring games and pastimes did you play as a kid ?? When did kids stop doing this ?? Why ??
Mudpies - Hide 'n' Seek - Marbles - Tag - Cowboys and Indians (or cops 'n' robbers - made little difference) - Snap the Whip
in the snow - Fox and Geese - Ice skating - snow forts (construction of all kinds) snowball fights - sledding -
Summertime - swim or wade in the irrigation ditches - Lay on your back and find shapes in the clouds - play with joint grass (no, not that kind) - build a tree house - swing on a rope from the hay-loft in the barn, land in the straw - hunt for tadpoles, raise them in a bucket at home 'til they got legs (I never knew what happened after that, they just disappeared) - build anything you wanted out of scrap wood (got my own kid-size tools when I was five, with a saw I still use today) - ride the saddle horses around the corral bareback without a bridle - play "football" with a pig bladder (you blow it up with a straw and tie it off with a piece of sinew). None of the above involved adult supervision nor "organized play". Playmates ranged in age from two to teens, sometimes alone, sometimes with one pal, sometimes with a gang of twenty. Yeah, there were a few scuffles and the occasional "hurt feelings" (you didn't play with girls, they were too "fraidy" and delicate - they had their own thing going on with jump ropes, jacks, baby-dolls and "house". Worst thing in the world was to be sent to play with girl cousins when visiting "the folks".) Bored ?? I was too simple-minded and too busy.

I got to wondering about this a few weeks ago. I passed a local elementary school, huge playground, probably two acres or more, level, grass under the six inches of new snow . . . recess time ? Not a track in it, not a kid in sight. Passed on the way back after school was out. Still not a trace that anyone ever went outside. The school building is like a tomb. No windows. If the power goes out, all is in total darkness. What's up with that ?? When I was in grade school, every classroom had a bank of large windows that were always half-open in warm weather, and partly open all winter (fresh air is good for you). The rooms had adequate electric lighting, I know, because my parents told me so. They were "on" for PTA conferences after dark. I never remember of seeing them turned on during class time. I may not be claustrophobic, but I reckon I would have gone pretty much nuttier than I am if I had gone to school under conditions kids are put in today.
"Get a horse !"

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:49 am

...build anything you wanted out of scrap wood...
My little brother and I built a western ghost town behind the barn.

img001.jpg
Mine shaft.

img004.jpg
Boot Hill.

img010 copy.jpg
Sheriff's office downstairs, hotel upstairs.

Go out and play.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Been doing work for a client couple now for 20 years. He's a retired dentist, she a retired RN.
Three kids. One lives in the midwest, married, kids, works at a large university. A second, same
basic stats, is a nuclear engineer for USDOE. The third and eldest, is 45 and still lives in Mommy's
basement. He had a long stretch of unemployment, on account of feeling the need to exercise his
2nd Amendment rights and open carry his weapon of choice to work. Oddly, his customer service
employers felt some discretion was in order and clashes were had. Our boy came out on the no job
end of things repeatedly. Not to worry, he still had Mommy's basement, lots of video games, a big
stereo, his drum kit (fantasies of being a heavy metal superstar) and his large collection of firearms.
Oh yeah, and he likes to track race motorcycles. I mean, if you are going to be unemployed and have
a hobby, go large. He told me his race tires are good for one weekend of racing and cost $1000 a pop.
Again, no worries, Mommy and Daddy catch ALL the bills for our darling boy. Food, lodging, guns, ammo,
motorcycles, ... everything.
Then one day, the lad got a job ! In the medical field. The packing heat insistency seems to have
faded out enough, and (fingers crossed) he's closing in on 5 years of six figure income now. Still living
in Mommy's basement, still not buying his own food or paying expenses. I recently learned that Mommy
and Daddy bought him a new John Deere tractor with a mower attachment to ease his burden of having
to cut the grass. Grass that often gets knee deep before he can "make time" to get at it. At 45, he still
comes in the house and asks Mommy "What's for dinner ?"

Now, don't get me ALL wrong here. He's a nice enough guy. If I have a firearms question or need, he
is the go-to guy. But he will never leave that house. He will never feel any need to carry his own weight.
When I tease him about being a mooch, he laughs and says "You got that right !".

He is one of dozens of such cases I have personal visibility on within my own tiny sphere of the world.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:29 pm

Rich, you clearly ponder the same way I do. From the vacant schoolyard to wondering
where all those childhood pastimes faded off to ....

Mom and Dad "bought the farm" in 1969. 100 acres, surrounded by 100's more farms,
just like ours. It was an endless playgound, as far as we might wander or ride our bikes,
.... so long as we were home for dinner.

It all went to hell for me and Widdo Bwudder there. Been lost in an endless whirl of
weathered barnwood and rusty metal for 50+ years now. Being closed up indoors was
absolute torture for me then. Still is today. Kids and grandkids of my friends, ... can't
seem to pull them out of the catatonic stupor of screen-induced "whatever" they seem
to stim on.

Got one friend though, that would not allow any screen stuff in his boys' life. They were
forced to go out and play, the old fashioned way. They are exceptional kids, ... did very
well in school, got scholarships on account of it. They have drive and direction. There are
exceptions, but they seem rare.

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:13 pm

Go outside and play! After homework an hour of TV. 3 whole channels to choose from. Later it was after chores we hit the open road or farm path on our bicycles. Rich, I have thought the same thing.
I started working away from home for neighbors or other farmers at about 6th grade. I had a job all through high school and sometimes more than one. While some of my buddys had jobs to and bought Cameros and new trucks, I drove a 1953 chevy straight out of the junk yard. You know the ones, mint green with the jade green top 4 door. It got me to school and work and when the weekend came I never had to drive while cruising town or going to the movies with the women folk. Nobody wanted to be seen in that thing.

Strange thing was , all those Cameros and new trucks were soon parked at my house on friday and saturday nights. See I started buying my 1st house when I was a junior in high school. I moved out at 17. Not because I had to and not because I didnt get along with my folks. I wanted to because when you moved out you were seen as an adult. I see it all the time, kids move out and when they come back home they bring girl friends ,wives and kids.
I told my boy that when he moved out I was going to tear the 2nd story off the house so we had no extra room. Must has thought I meant it because he hasnt came back.

Mindless Automaton

Post by Mindless Automaton » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:45 pm

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/24-03- ... ueenstown/

A slum in Otara with no windows sold for 1 million dollars.
If people can't afford to move out you blame them yet... it's becoming more & more common after certain people buy up all the houses & rent them. For more money that any single person can ever earn per week BTW.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:58 pm

If slums in Otara are selling for a million dollars, it would be incumbent upon anyone
wishing to live there to see the writing on the walll, step up their game to be able to
"pay the going rate", OR be making a backup plan for living elsewhere. Life is not fair.
Life owes us nothing but opportunities and choices. The rest is up to the individual.

I left Seattle 20+ years ago. Anything I liked about the place as a kid was paved over
in pus by the 80's. Prices for soggy property with a sh!t house were outrageous. What
was the point in staying ? I hated the place, did not want to live that life ... the cost
of living, the staggering commutes, the endless rain ... everything I enjoy is done out-
doors. Seattle is the stunt driver training capital of the world. It was a very unfriendly
place to drive cars you care about. The answer was obvious. The excuse some use that
a place is too expensive doesn't hold water.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:11 pm

With 34 international visitors to every permanent resident, it appears that Queensland is suffering from the same ills that any overpopulated first world city has insofaras there is little accomodation for the service industry's employees or anyone else at the lower end of the pay scale. Looking at the horrendous income and GST taxes, combined with extrordinary building costs, affordable housing isn't going to show up any time soon. Heck, they're even taxing the very act of visiting. Lovely.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mindless Automaton

Post by Mindless Automaton » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 am

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:58 pm
If slums in Otara are selling for a million dollars, it would be incumbent upon anyone
wishing to live there to see the writing on the walll, step up their game to be able to
"pay the going rate", OR be making a backup plan for living elsewhere.
Science please. You, yes you personally yiffed all the land for a bag of meth, crystal meth. Go anhero plz. Otara is a ghetto.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:31 am

I yiffed NOTHING ! ... and I'll deny it in court too ! :lol:

Mindless Automaton

Post by Mindless Automaton » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:59 am

Hear that? Not I nor anyone else born after burger deserves to live because we were born too late. Oh well.. sucks to be him because he thinks his feces doesn't smell like poop because a drill instructor yelled at him.

Sure glad i was raised by a murderous psychopath and not a drill instructor or i'd think i was entitled to special treatment & shit based.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:43 am

The one thing that has stuck with me, when taking drafting in collage, one of the instructors said; "it is not what you know, but knowing how to find the information". Google fits that bill. Lots of people of all age groups can't read maps. When I was a kid someone asked where such and such street was, I didn't know, but if he told me what he was looking for I knew that. I am still the same way today, I know where such and such is located but what street it's on, no clue. :lol:
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Shane Lach
First Name: Shane
Last Name: Lach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor and 1921 speedster in progress

Post by Shane Lach » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:39 pm

Maybe all the young guys with a head screwed on their shoulders are busy out in the garage.

StvHump
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Humphrey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1

Post by StvHump » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:37 am

I had an idea it was google....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O55xAsLSbm4

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic