Golden Gate Model T Tour, June 3rd

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Golden Gate Model T Tour, June 3rd

Post by NorthSouth » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:35 pm

Hello fellow MTFCA members,

Would anyone be interested in maybe doing a 3-1/2 day Marin County - San Francisco Model T tour this summer during the first week in June?
I am thinking of touring places like The Panoramic and Shoreline Highways, Muir Woods National Park, Stinson Beach, Bolinas, Point Reyes, Tomales Bay, Nicosio, the Marin Headlands, Sausalito, the Golden Gate Bridge, the San Francisco Presidio Historic Army Base National Park, and the Maritime Tall Ship Collection at Fisherman's Wharf. I would also like to attach 2 or 3 days, immediately following, as an optional extension, and tour a bit in the Sonoma Valley wine country.

If I were to set this up would any of you like to join in? Let me know if you would.

Steven
Sausalito, California

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Marin County and San Francisco June 3rd Tour ?

Post by SurfCityGene » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:42 am

Man that sounds like it'd be a great tour. I think timing wouldn't work for me this year though, right now. Things might change.. Keep us posted please.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
NorthSouth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster

Post by NorthSouth » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:20 am

Hello Gene,
Thank you for your encouraging reply. It would be nice to have you join us if it turns out that you can make it. A couple Ts are now joining from Los Angeles so we are off and running. I found a motel in Mill Valley that has $99.00 rooms, internal covered parking for the Ts, and adjacent spots for trucks and trailers. And, it looks as if the Presidio Trust and the Tall Ship Museum at Fisherman's Wharf will be embracing our arrival. ...or I should say, embracing the arrival of our Model Ts. By the way, what would you think about welcoming pre 1916 Horseless Carriage Club Cars on this tour too?
Cheers.

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 am

Sounds like fun. Please keep us posted with details and registration info. Good to see a N.Cal tour!

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:34 am

Suggestion. Keep the route away from steep hills as much as possible. Many cars don't have aux transmissions or brakes. I have a Ruckstell but only narrow band brakes.😊

Topic author
NorthSouth

Post by NorthSouth » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:59 am

Gotcha Richard.
Will do. I will circulate a tour route map when that becomes appropriate.
By the way, I have also been advised to design in formal 'Pee Stops' during the longer driving legs.
Cheers.

YellowTRacer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Archer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 replica Transcontinental race car, 1915 2 man race car, 1918 American bodied speedster
MTFCA Number: 19
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by YellowTRacer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:55 pm

Not sure I can find the time but I like the format and I'll try if you don't mind locals participating.

Ed aka #4

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:46 pm

This sounds terrific! I really wish my wife and I could attend but we have a prior commitment for that time frame. We lived in San Rafael in '67-69 when I was first in the service and stationed at Fort Barry (now long gone). Loved the area and while we've been back a few times you will be including a few places we never saw and several others only 50+ years ago. I hope you folks have a great time with the tour.

Topic author
NorthSouth

Post by NorthSouth » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Hello Ed Archer,
I drove my 15 Touring behind you and your wife on the Speedster Run in Romona, CA. and then froze with you both on the Sierra Vista Tour. I even saw you drive by with your invisible trailer last Friday at the Bakersfield Swap-meet. Of course locals are welcome on this June 3rd Golden Gate Tour. I actually expect most of the cars will be from the greater Bay Area. The two of you would make a charming addition to the group. I hope you will make time to join in. If you do, we will mix up some tart post-drive margaritas in the hotel parking lot.
Cheers.

Topic author
NorthSouth

Post by NorthSouth » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:22 pm

Hey Walt,
Thank you for the words of encouragement. We will be sorry to miss you. Please let others, who might be interested, know about what we are planning. It is firming up to be a memorable 3 1/2 day gathering. ...more with the Healdsburg extension.
In any case, we will wave at San Rafael for you when we tour by.

Aarongriffey
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Griffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring

Post by Aarongriffey » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:00 am

I’d be real interested in that tour.
I have not been in that area much since I moved away from San Rafael over forty years ago.

Topic author
NorthSouth

Post by NorthSouth » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:33 am

Hello Aaron,

I am happy to hear that you are interested in joining our Marin County and San Francisco June 3rd Model T Tour. You are most welcome. So, far it looks like 3 others want to come along too. We are hoping for more. I have 11 rooms reserved in Mill Valley. And, 5 rooms reserved in Healdsburg for a 3 night extension for those who would like to continue on in the Sonoma wine country.

If you provide me with your email address I will send you the Tour Flyer. And/or, you are welcome to to contact me directly to talk more about the details. My email address is: NewNorthSouth@Gmail.Com. My cellphone number is (323) 497-0601.

Steven

Topic author
NorthSouth

Post by NorthSouth » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:58 pm

Good question.

What is the cost of this tour?

The Mill Valley Travel Lodge is $99.00 per night, (3 nights), to be paid individually when your room is reserved.

Everyone will also be asked to pitch in $100 per car ($50p/p) to cover minor group expenses like; parking and tour guide tips, group permits at the tall-ship pier and at the Presidio etc, picnic supplies, and the cocktail gathering. Any leftover funds will be divided and returned, equally among those who contributed, at our final Nicosio Ranch lunch on Thursday. Receipt of this $100 and your commitment to a room, unless you are staying elsewhere, will reserve your space on the tour.

All meals and entry fees, like Muir Woods, will be paid individually by you.

NOTE: …the **extension tour*** (June 6-9) is currently headquartered at the Fairview Inn in Healdsburg, CA. Their most basic and affordable room is $170/night. However, much more charming Air BnB houses can be had in Guernenville, CA. for about half that amount. I personally would vote for moving our *extension* headquarters over there to the Russian River and live among the redwoods.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:00 am

I just made my reservation at the host hotel last night. I love driving in that area, and although I've driven all those roads before, there is no harm in doing it again. I'm not looking forward to fighting all that San Francisco traffic however. I'd rather stay north of the Golden Gate Bridge!

Topic author
NorthSouth

Post by NorthSouth » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:48 am

Fantastic!!! Welcome Larry. This will be a fun tour. And now, we will need to stock the Parking Lot Bar with some Jack Daniels.

No need to worry about "San Francisco Traffic". For that day's tour we will be meandering, at water's edge, from our motel through charming Sausalito, right to the north foot of the Golden Gate Bridge. We sneak on to the bridge there, cross through its towering Artdeco spires, and then at its south foot immediately shunt off into the embrace of the Historic Presidio National Park. The Golden Gate Bridge spans exactly 1.7 miles (8,981ft). This is the only time that or Model Ts will be traveling in traffic, and believe me, it will be worth it. No doubt the navigators will be clicking their cameras skyward.

Then, after we have our fill of docent lead WW1 history on this base's shady lanes, we tour, again at water's edge, along a single path, past Chrissy Field (WW1 Airfield), the Palace of Fine Arts (World's Fair), and Fort Mason (Port of Embarkation WW1, WW2) on our short trip to the San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park (Tall-Ship collection and museum) near Fisherman's Wharf. The Ranger there is optimistic that a permit can be issues for our Ts to be displayed right there alongside the ships.

So, as you can see, this June 5th Wednesday tour has been designed so there will be no "San Francisco traffic to fight". You'll see, we have found our way around it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic