Help id vehicle

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
les_rens
First Name: Les
Last Name: Rens
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 open, 25 tudor, many parts cars.

Help id vehicle

Post by les_rens » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:49 pm

I have a yard art piece to identify. Should be some knowledge here . lol.
The body is a cutoff dodge bros, I see a dash gauge to id that.
But the chassis I am unsure. Pics of engine and transmissions and diff.
The rear wheels have ford hubcaps. Are they TT? or AA?
Has dual tranys. Like a Ford, but the engine does not look like any T or A stuff I have...
dodge bros trans.jpg
dodge bros rear.jpg
dodge bros engine.jpg
127-kindersley-stuff-set-up-with-Kristafer.jpg

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: Help id vehicle

Post by BobD » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Engine is Dodge, not sure what year.
dodge.jpg

RalphS in NE Oregon
First Name: Ralph
Last Name: Swinehart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 roadster, 1914 touring, 1923 roadster, 1926 TT
MTFCA Number: 1386
MTFCI Number: 20289

Post by RalphS in NE Oregon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:11 pm

The rear end and rear portion of the frame is definitely Ford TT, but the front of the frame is not. Maybe they welded a Ford and Dodge frame together in the middle of the car. The body looks like a cut down 26-27 Ford car body, not a Dodge.
Ralph

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:14 pm

The rear portion of the chassis looks like a TT, as does the rear end. The long rear chassis cross member (2 holes on each side) indicates a later model. The front end of the chassis looks like it's something else. Of course the engine is not a T engine.

Topic author
les_rens
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 open, 25 tudor, many parts cars.

Post by les_rens » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks for help so far.... you guys see why i was not sure.. will look under neath to see if frames have been mated together....
the aux transmission in there look TT??
I dont have a pic of dash, to ID body, but it has a gauge in it that is Dodge bros. so I guessed body dodge.
But it may have been patched together, like the rest if it...lol.
It is a waste of a TT rearend , if someone could use it. I could set that body on any old car frame I have laying around...

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:39 pm

I agree on TT rear but engine and front fender says DB to me. I dont think cowl is 26-27 ford. No hole on right side for fuel tank.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321

Post by Mark Nunn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:10 pm

This is a ’24 Dodge Brothers Business Coupe. (This is actually one of my charcoal drawings but I have another photo somewhere if anyone wants to see it. This is a local car that I almost bought.) The body lines are very similar.
24 DB.gif

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Reminds me of something I did in 1957! I was given a 22 Dodge roadster without the rear axle or radiator. I put the body on a Model A chassis. Ended selling the whole thing for $9. You have something similar. Seems that putting other engines in Fords or other vintage vehilces started early!
Norm

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:13 pm

I'm not so sure I'd characterize either transmission as "auxiliary" in the sense of Model T vernacular since neither is tied to a T planetary. The forward one is probably what came with the engine, perhaps Dodge. The second one could be one designed for use in a TT, but it could also be something else. I'm far from enough of an expert to identify it. Maybe someone else can.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:44 pm

It reminds me of a delivery truck I saw almost fifty years ago. The silly thing kept showing up for sale, and getting a new owner who turned around and tried to sell it for more. Frankly, the price began too high (considering what you could buy for only a few dollars in those days!) at $150 if I recall correctly. The last time I ran into it, it had just sold for the fourth time I knew of for an absurd $600! Could have bought a running and marginally tourable model T for that then. It had a mid-teens Overland rear end with transaxle, had 21 inch model T wheels adapted. Model T frame and engine (complete T engines in those days could be had for $50). '20s Essex radiator, hood, and front half of a two-door sedan body. Behind the Essex body and seats was a home-made delivery sedan body, falling apart in poor condition and missing a lot.

Like others said, this appears to be part TT and part Dodge, with a few other bits thrown in. I know I have seen transmissions similar to that one, but don't recall for sure from what. It may be an early Chevy, but I sorta don't think so. The body is NOT Dodge, at least the cowl and firewall are not. Looks to me to be the front 2/3 of a '26/'27 coupe or two-door sedan, with the back from something else. The rear window is not T coupe, but whether a whole back or just the window panel I cannot tell from the picture.

During the depression and WWII, some people got pretty creative when they needed a vehicle. That was the general opinion of the Delivery truck I saw years ago.

Topic author
les_rens

Post by les_rens » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 pm

RalphS in NE Oregon wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:11 pm
The rear end and rear portion of the frame is definitely Ford TT, but the front of the frame is not. Maybe they welded a Ford and Dodge frame together in the middle of the car. The body looks like a cut down 26-27 Ford car body, not a Dodge.
Ralph
I am tending to agree on a later T body shell, will have a closer look next time up at cabin.
The Dodge Bros gauge on dash must be a transplant, or they put in a dodge dash panel.

Topic author
les_rens

Post by les_rens » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Dallas Landers wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:39 pm
I agree on TT rear but engine and front fender says DB to me. I dont think cowl is 26-27 ford. No hole on right side for fuel tank.
I think the hole on right side is there, just cant quite see it under curve of firewall.
I will check next time up.
The round hole on the drivers side of firewall, is same as my 26 Tudor I have at home here.
The Dodge Bros gauge on dash threw me off, it or the whole dash pane prob a transplant.
Thanks for all the help.
I like to know what this old stuff is...

Gene_French
First Name: Gene
Last Name: French
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pkup.
MTFCA Number: 15614
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Gene_French » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:52 pm

Les:
defiantly a Dodge Brothers engine and early aluminum transmission … is missing starter / generator unit , but most of the engine components are inplace … always an optimist ...Gene French

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:20 am

This is a 1926 Dodge Brothers sedan. The body is as close to the yard art as I could find.
26db_rghtfrt.jpg
26db_rghtfrt.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 5734 times

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:07 am

The second transmission (auxiliary) sure looks like a cast iron Warford three speed from here. Note the six bolt PTO port on the left side and the Warford transmission mount at the rear. I'm guessing the front portion of a Dodge(?) frame and engine was grafted on to a TT rear section. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic