What padding for TT top?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

What padding for TT top?

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:26 am

Im ready to install top material on the Martin Parry wood cab. What is the padding used and thickness.
I was advised not to use foam. Some type of padding used in quilting?

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: What padding for TT top?

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:52 am

Dallas the best padding in today’s times is the same type used on padded vinyl tops. It is 1/4” thickness. Use a quality adhesive and you will love the results. Check Rochford Supply.

All the Best,

Hank in Tin-A-See

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:15 am

I always use a layer of dark or black muslin first in case your roof strips shrink , then as Henry suggested 1/4” landau padding . Sometimes you can find it in black but more likely white. Don’t roll it over the edge, just to the edge. Doesn’t take a lot of glue, just a bit to keep it from shifting. If you have an auto trim shop nearby, they would have it. If not let me know and I can sent it to you. You will also need hide-em welt and the finish trim fasteners. Do it on a sunny day but don’t overstretch it. Have fun, you are nearly there.

Dropacent
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:23 am

Perhaps whomever suggested not to use foam saw or used craft store foam. That would disintegrate quickly. Landau foam will last forever.

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:38 pm

Did they even use padding on truck cabs back in the day? My 25 Indiana cab had the original top with no pad on it. The wood in the roof was spaced about an inch apart and you could see the underside of the top material from inside to cab. Remember, this is a truck, not a Lincoln.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:00 pm

My model A with original top has no padding, but the little MP delivery truck I used to have had muslin, cotton padding and then top material. The top slats may telegraph through the thinner top material available today, if nothing is used, IMHO

Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:09 pm

another thought, most of the new top material you see now has a fuzzy white back, not a good look

JunkyJud
First Name: Justin
Last Name: H
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 TT C cab

Post by JunkyJud » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:26 pm

On my C cab I used a layer of black duck canvas over the slats followed by a layer of 100% quilting cotton with the vinyl over that. The quilt cotton is only about 1/8” thick and smooths out the roof imperfections without being too thick. The worst looking thing on an old truck is to have a “muffin top”.
Justin in Western PA

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Dallas, many period tops on trucks first had a layer of burlap/hessian laid over the slats. Its natural colour sits well with timber. The quilting fabric you mentioned is dacron. Its advantage is it will not rot if any moisture gets to it and there is no dye in it. 1/4" thick is enough to even out any differences in the roof slats. Any thickeer and the roof will look un-naturally plush.

Hope this helps,

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic