Is this 18% grade too steep for a Model T to descend down?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Is this 18% grade too steep for a Model T to descend down?

Post by NorthSouth » Mon May 20, 2019 6:23 pm

-
-
Hello fellow Model T-ers,
As many of you know, I am hosting the Golden Gate and Alexander Valley Tours June 3rd thru June 10th.

I would like to include a one mile loop segment out over the Golden Gate and Pacific Ocean but am uncertain as to whether or not an 18% grade is too steep for a Model T to descend down. This thin stretch of asphalt road has been recently repaved and is in perfect condition. Only parts of it have an 18% grade. However, it is only one car wide (a one-way single lane) with zero shoulder on either side. Our tour would be the only traffic here on this Monday afternoon. You can view this beautifully spectacular, yet ominous, stretch on Youtube. Here's the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjRCHcmmfos

What do you guys think? Should I include it on my 'day one' Marin Headlands tour or avoid it altogether and choose a flatter way?

I would appreciate your advice.
By the way; We still have 2 spots available on these tours.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Re: Is this 18% grade too steep for a Model T to descend down?

Post by Les Schubert » Mon May 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Steven
Have you driven your T down it? How did you like driving your T down it? How much T touring have you done?
I consider these important questions.
On the video the hill doesn’t look like 18%,but that can be deceptive

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Mon May 20, 2019 8:03 pm

No, it’s not too steep for a Model T to decend - but awfully, awfully dangerous. A fairly new Model T owner/driver would probably incorrectly use the brake band and emergency brake lever. You might see a lot of cracked brake drums from the Kevlar guys. On the other hand, you could instruct all in the morning drivers meeting to use low pedal to decend. And, conversely, low Ruckstell and low Warford.
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Mon May 20, 2019 8:35 pm

I've not seen this grade first hand, but am inclined to err on the safe side and not do it.

Here's my reasoning:

1. You are not making the decision for yourself, you are making the decision for many individuals. You probably don't know the detail condition or equipment of every car, nor do you know the precise skill level of every driver. Even if a typical T with a typical driver can do it, you are working to the lowest common denominator.

2. Group dynamics will come into play here. If one person says, "No sweat", then his friend will be reluctant to pass on the same task. And once half of the group decides to do it, the other half will go ahead and give it a go just through peer pressure. As the tour leader, you don't want to put people in these difficult positions.

3. As you said, it's a single lane, one way road. If somebody breaks down on the grade, he will block any further transit. How are you going to get the trouble trailer into position to load the disabled T, and worse yet, how are you going to safely load it ?

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon May 20, 2019 9:23 pm

Loss of brakes should be no issue. That guardrail will slow any runaway down. 😜
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon May 20, 2019 9:31 pm

There are several pedestrian crossings along the course. I didn't see any pedestrians, however, if someone walks out in front of a T expecting the T to stop for them, they could get run over.

If the cars have auxiliary transmissions and external brakes, it might be safe, but on a tour, there are probably some T;s with stock transmissions and brakes.

A problem is that if one T gets out of control, it could affect others in front of it.

I personally would not recommend it for a tour.

Norm

AndyClary
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Clary
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout 1926 Coupe. Mercury Speedster #1249
MTFCA Number: 24057

Post by AndyClary » Mon May 20, 2019 9:35 pm

There will also be bicycles on the road, there are always bicycles there and they will probably want to go faster than the T drivers. We passed on these types when we put together our national tour. As already mentioned, you can't account for everyone's experience level. If you have to ask you probably know the answer.

Andy

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Mon May 20, 2019 9:39 pm

I've been up and down far worse in a model T, the skill of the driver in dealing with long downhill grades is essential. Running this road the problem will be the bicycles.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Topic author
NorthSouth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster

Post by NorthSouth » Mon May 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Your comments against including this segment on the tour make sense. I sort of knew this already. I just hate to have everyone miss such a spectacularly
beautiful stretch of road. Nevertheless, as you all have confirmed, and for various reasons, it would be too risky (perhaps even stupid) to include an 18% one-way grade, with no shoulders, on a Model T tour. C'est la vie.
Thank you very much for your advice.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue May 21, 2019 3:48 am

I have been on several tours with very steep hills. On Catalina Island one time, we came VERY close to a disaster. The touring, two cars ahead of us, made a loud CRUNCH noise. The touring lurched a couple times, then started to roll backwards. Now, this was on a barely more than one lane, about 11 percent climb, with about three hundred feet to the rocky beach below (no guardrail). This was about as close to a disaster as one can have without being a disaster. Due partially to pure luck, and a great deal to the skill of the touring's driver (although in a not well prepared car), the driver rolled (FAST!) passed the car right in front of us (we in my first boat-tail roadster), he barely clipped the rear fender of the '27 roadster pickup in front of us, then swung really fast back end of touring car into the sharp hillside rising above us. He missed us entirely, but for about two seconds I was really wondering if my car's large drum outside brakes could hold us both on that steep hill or not!
J W Silviera, the owner/driver of the '27 roadster pickup, seemed to not be upset at all by the ding in his fender.
A later tear-down revealed the cause of this was a pinion gear that split in two.

Some years later, I went on a nickel age tour not far from where this tour is going to be. The driver's meeting warned us of a very steep downgrade at one point. Nothing remotely bad happened this time. But just thinking about a couple dozen large cars with two wheel brakes does give one a pause to thought. I spoke up and stated aloud, that anyone following me be well aware, I GO SLOW down steep hills, and recommend everyone else do likewise. It is good advice always. While going up steep hills can be dangerous, going down can get out of control quicker and often be worse.

Beyond that, like the prevailing opinion seems to be forming? Probably best for all to avoid such a potential danger area. As long as there is a better, safer, route readily available. Yes a lot of people including me would enjoy the sights, and probably nothing bad would happen. We want a good time to be had by ALL! I wish i could go.

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Tue May 21, 2019 7:14 am

I think it is great you are asking for advice on this. I am a newbie, and 2 years ago at BBC we got sent down a road that turned from a beginners slope into a long triple black diamond with no warning. Thank God it was a rainy day and we were driving modern iron. Funny thing was, we were the only car on that stretch, all the old cars had gone another way. How they knew about it, I have no clue. A drivers meeting is a great idea to warn of tricky stretches. Good luck with your tour! Cheers, Bill

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am

I've never been on a tour, nor driven my T on other than Bay Area city streets years ago........

BUT!

I know that section of roadway fairly well, and I'm here to tell you that the bicyclists are an absolute menace. Not because of their hobby (sport?), but because of their attitude. They will weave in and out, pull in front of you and generally disregard safety almost arrogantly. Combine that with an antique car whose braking ability is marginal at best, and you have a recipe for disaster.

It's a beautiful stretch of scenic highway, but consider another route if possible.

Steve Jelf
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 21, 2019 9:42 am

I'd drive it myself, but I wouldn't take a tour down it. As the other guys have said, you don't know the condition of all the cars or the skill of all the drivers.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Tue May 21, 2019 11:25 am

I had a talk with the tour leader this morning, and advised him to group the cars at the top of the grade, and let them go down every 30 seconds. That way there shouldn't be a problem.

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by HalSched » Wed May 22, 2019 11:54 pm

IMHO, a Model T on an 18% grade without brakes, or other transmission function, will overtake the T in front of him is less than 30 seconds. What is the 30 seconds supposed to be used for? In my opinion that beautiful stretch will be hazerdous for at least one of the T's on the tour and 1 is too many.

Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by Jugster » Thu May 23, 2019 2:30 am

An 18% grade is 16.2 degrees from level, right?
(Just making sure I understand the question)

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Thu May 23, 2019 5:00 am

Most people who tour with T's are looking to enjoy the ride and not too interested in heroics. (that is just my opinion). We have toured on roads that I wish we had not because we were not comfortable and glad we got through it. On one tour the slope was enough that the only way I felt I could control the speed was to approach the hill very slowly, retard the spark and turn the engine off. The compression and no brake kept us at about 25 MPH all the way to the bottom without touching the brake. I would not like to do it again. Just my .02.

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring #9267

Post by Jem » Tue May 28, 2019 2:35 am

The London-Brighton Veteran car run got re- routed down Reigate Hill (approx 18percent grade) in 2017 resulting in 4 car crash & 1 driver fatality, after his brakes failed.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue May 28, 2019 7:28 am

I would suggest that an alternate route be available and let the drivers make a choice if they want to take the hill or the alternate route.
Model T Sedan on a hill.JPG
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Original Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U

Post by Original Smith » Tue May 28, 2019 10:30 am

I'm going to drive the grade, no matter what all the experts think! The only thing dangerous about it is all in your minds. If you have a good running Model T, that grade will be no problem. As I mentioned earlier, start the cars down the hill one at a time with a 30 second interval.

Bill Thompson
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Tudor sedan

Post by Bill Thompson » Tue May 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Too steep!

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Tue May 28, 2019 4:54 pm

I think you're fine until the first person pops a U joint right before that first 15 MPH curve... or their Ruckstell pops into neutral...

I like the alternate route idea... those who feel their car could do it can go ahead, those who do not have a bypass route.

BTW I used to live on a steep road in the east bay, in the Oakland Hills, and lost it one time when the car started to roll backwards downhill... there were angels on my shoulders that kept us from rolling the car and injuring all 4 of us... but it was an experience I would *never* want to repeat.

critterpainter
Last Name: Dodd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 T Touring
MTFCA Number: 27186
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by critterpainter » Wed May 29, 2019 12:39 am

Only the passengers will enjoy the view. The driver will be keeping the car under control and should NOT be sightseeing!1
14 Touring

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

CAMERA CAR

Post by Novice » Wed May 29, 2019 1:32 am

:o Let Larry drive the course with cameras installed in His car and check it out. Play the video at the drivers meeting or the night before, restrict the route to veteran T drivers with properly equipped cars. Larry should have no problem with His cable operated Rocky Mountain brakes. Drag Chute might be helpful

Only Drivers with Brass Ba--s need apply.

My 2 Cents worth maybe less.

Topic author
NorthSouth

Post by NorthSouth » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:45 pm

-
Just so there is no confusion, when the opportunity actually presented itself, way up there in the foggy heavens, Larry Smith did indeed recklessly fling himself and his perfect Model T pickup down this cliff ...only to be seen alive again back at the motel's cocktail hour. And, just so you know, the rest of the Ts on this tour, those who had considered the above comments, sanely turned themselves around and safely coasted back down to sea level the way they came.

Original Smith

Post by Original Smith » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:36 am

Well Steven, you are certainly into the dramatics! I didn't recklessly drive my car down that 18% grade, and it certainly wasn't a cliff either. It was a nice paved road. I'm sure more folks would have driven down that grade if you hadn't scared them off! What was interesting to me was looking at all of the old bunkers on the way down that the Army built.
Attachments
Golden Gate 2.JPG

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Good job Smith!!! Oh and thanks Larry. :lol:
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Just another hill!

FordFool
First Name: Don
Last Name: Kirtley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 and 16 touring, 18 and 20 coup, 20 tudor
MTFCA Number: 23703
MTFCI Number: 23153
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by FordFool » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:41 pm

It’s no hill for a climber. Right Larry?? I have been down 18%+ dirt roads in Cajon Pass a couple of times in my 16 touring. It felt like I was standing on the floorboards. Lo gear and low gear KC Warford. Enough to pucker a$$ h...e but it was fun at the time. Don

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Going down the hill is one thing if your the only one on the road. It’s a whole different story when there is other people on the road with bikes or anything else. I’m for one having fun in old cars but not at the risk of getting killed in one.

Dennis_Brown
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pickup
MTFCA Number: 21458

Post by Dennis_Brown » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:36 pm

I would not go down it. You may Have an all restored t with lots of new repo parts but you also have parts that are 100 years old and any one of them could let go at any time especially under a strain and that could put you over the guard rail or barreling down the hill like a rocket. I have never been on a tour but I believe they are meant to enjoy , not to stress you out about an overly steep downgrade with curves or put you in danger.

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:00 pm

We had a pretty decent downgrade on this years endurance run. I believe it was about 2300 foot drop in 3 miles single lane dirt with no guard rail. To my knowledge all the speedsters went down just fine. I drove as I often have, engine off ruckstel low alternating between bands/rock to bring to a near stop and then coast again allowing the engine to do most of the braking.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:23 am

That run represents an average 14% grade if I did the math right. Good on ya, Chad !! :D

(Maybe harder to descend "up" ?? :lol: )
"Get a horse !"

Original Smith

Post by Original Smith » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:09 am

I've never been able to figure out where people get Ruckstell low from! You are either in Ruckstell or you are not! When I was going down that hill, I had my car in standard Ford low, and that was all that was needed.

Topic author
NorthSouth

Post by NorthSouth » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:12 am

-
Correction: Larry Smith was not "reckless" that day way up in the clouds. Rather, he opting for that ominous 18 degree plunge was a testament to his life long driving experience and to the refined and capable condition of his T.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic