Am I ready for the Parade?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TspokeMan
First Name: David
Last Name: Heiser
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Model T Pickup Roadster

Am I ready for the Parade?

Post by TspokeMan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:34 pm

I've been driving my restored '25 T Roadster PU for 2 weeks now. My driving comfort level is getting better each day. Understand I never have driven A Model T before this. But I have driven on some of the higher traffic, 4 lane streets lately.
There is an annual theme parade in town in one week that I am interested in partcicipating with my T.
I guess my question is 'am I ready'? Other than making sure I top off the gas tank, what other preparations, concerns are thoughts out there from you experienced owners/drivers?
If I have the parking brake clutch in neutral is it ok to use low speed off and on during the parade route? Other suggestions?

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Am I ready for the Parade?

Post by DLodge » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:25 pm

TspokeMan wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:34 pm
... If I have the parking brake clutch in neutral is it ok to use low speed off and on during the parade route? Other suggestions?
That's how I do it, for what it's worth.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:33 pm

What Dick said. Just be sure you hold the pedal down tight when you use it. Letting the drum spin against the band lining too long is what causes excessive heat.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe

Post by MichaelPawelek » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:21 pm

Just because you will have the engine idling and pressing the low pedal down don’t make the mistake of having the timing all the way retarded. The engine will overheat in a parade quickly. Advance the spark enough for a slightly higher idle. Been there, done that! :)

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Take your time and leave plenty of room in front of you.
My question is, is your T ready for a parade ?
Ts love to get hot at slow speeds, as long as you have a good flowing radiator, you should be fine.
Make sure your bands are adjusted up prior and enjoy !!

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:53 pm

Driving in a parade will be an experience you'll never forget. Everyone should do it once. Some folks love it, others will run away screaming. Fun for some, not for all. Enjoy !! :lol:
"Get a horse !"

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:55 pm

Heck our club president is a complete novice and he just did the St Johns Portland Oregon parade. I normally have a blast but this year was too darn hot. The 25 cut down vapor locked and stalled a total of three times, added water the first time and crank started her all three times (on battery). The crowd had a blast watching, me I was sweating buckets! LOL :lol: And yes I will do it again.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Peter, Memphis TN
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Claverie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Peter, Memphis TN » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:12 pm

You probably already know this, but a Model T will spit excess water out of the radiator overflow, until it gets to its comfortable level.

The only mistake I have made in a parade was having the spark retarded too far, and she overheated and stopped. After she cooled off, she was AOK.

All the other hints given above are absolutely correct, and all you need to know.

I'm from New Orleans, and I know about riding in a parade. It is likely to be the most fun you've ever had, both for you and your passengers. Be sure the kids have plenty of goodies to throw. Not chocolate, but hard candy and trinkets. (Chocolate melts and ..... you know).

Have a ball!

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:27 pm

RE throwing candy etc; make sure it is allowed first. Some parades do not allow it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:30 pm

If you have Ruckstell or other auxiliary transmission, put it in the lowest range and also lock the lever into the neutral position. If it tends to slip on the quadrant, cut a wedge which will fit in front of the lever to hold it into neutral. Then use eilther the low the brake or leave in neutral. The slightly faster idle and partially advanced spark will also help. What I do is neutral until the gap in front of me widens then push low just long enough to catch up, and then neutral again. Likewise if the persons in front of me slow down or stop, I use the brake until the gap widens. Driving a T in a parade is quite easy.
Norm

Topic author
TspokeMan
First Name: David
Last Name: Heiser
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Model T Pickup Roadster

Post by TspokeMan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Some good points made. I appreciate the input. I'm looking foreword to the parade experience🙂

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:13 am

David

being new, and I don't know the condition of your brake quadrant, and probably you don't either, I would take the extra step to make a block of wood that fills the emergency brake slot that will hold the brake lever in neutral and then screw a second piece on top of that. This block can be laid on the floor and kicked into the slot with your foot when you're ready and it will ENSURE that the car does not jump into high.

Being new, and the excitement of a parade (you and spectators), all this extra effort is waranted in my opinion

Have fun.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:39 am

What everyone has said.
I attached a cord to the anti-high gear block so I could easily remove it.

I used to do parades but realized that they were hard on the T - especially if there were and hills, even small ones.
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:03 pm

TspokeMan - Some good advice here in this thread! You might re-read what Norm Kling wrote above, and I would add just a bit to what he said:

A lot of guys dislike parades, because they can be hard on bands, however, if you leave some room ahead, and drive smart, you usually don't really have to be "hard on the bands". Most T guys dislike the Model T's tendency to "creep", however, position & block (if necessary) the hand brake lever in neutral as Norm said, and a couple others have repeated, and a lot of the time, on the level stretches of the parade, you can just let the car "creep" and you often don't have to depress the clutch pedal at all! "Creep"can be your "friend",....FWIW,....harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic