Porcelain Engine

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
CraigBothwell
First Name: Craig
Last Name: Bothwell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT truck, Dr. Coupe, Touring

Porcelain Engine

Post by CraigBothwell » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm putting this out to the membership as I have no idea why this was done: The engine that I am having rebuilt was 'porcelained" by the
previous owner (many, many years ago). That is, the engine is 'coated' (if that is the right word) in porcelain. Looks a little bit like
powder coating.

I would appreciate anyone in this forum putting their 2 cents worth as to why this was done.

Thanks,

Craig Bothwell

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Porcelain Engine

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:57 pm

Apparently, the engine did not run hot enough as designed. Porcelain an excellent insulator and would ensure that the oil would break down and burn nicely. It would certainly test the condition of the radiator.

I would absolutely NOT rebuild that block/head/pan until every bit of the coating was removed.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Could you describe the coating?: Porcelain would be a ceramic, maybe that wasn't done years ago, perhaps the insides of the engine and pan were just painted with Gyptal, insulating paint useful on interior oil contact surfaces.
IMG_6610 (450x600).jpg
IMG_6610 (450x600).jpg (134.84 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:09 pm

The word "useful" :o is not one I would use when it comes to painting Gyptal in a oil splash engine.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:27 pm

I have heard of coating in porcelain to salvage VERY rare early engine blocks that have rusted to porous when no replacement could be found. Frankly, I think it is a bad idea, for the reasons given By Scott C.
Glyptal is one of those things that many people are adamant about being the greatest thing EVER! A nearly equal number of people seem convinced it is the worst thing since lead bathing suits. I think it is much ado about not much. It does have some wonderful properties and uses for which it is ideal. Other things? Eh?

What year is the engine you want rebuilt? It may be best to just get another block.

That is my 2 cents.

Topic author
CraigBothwell
First Name: Craig
Last Name: Bothwell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT truck, Dr. Coupe, Touring

Post by CraigBothwell » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:57 pm

My thoughts as well. Will have block sandblasted. Thanks for your thoughts

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Dan T mentions insulating and useful in the same sentence regarding the glyptol coating. An oxymoron if there ever was one. Anyone recall the finned valve covers that were sold for the original VW Beetle ? They were hyped as adding additional cooling because of the heavier construction and the fins. Actual tests showed they cooled all right. They cooled a thin layer of oil that clung to the insides of the covers and that layer actually caused less oil cooling than the original pressed steel covers. If glyptol insulates it probably shouldn't be used to coat engines. Inside or out.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:05 pm

It sure wouldn’t bother me. Consider that the cylinders and combustion chambers will NOT be coated. Also highly probable that the water jackets will NOT be coated. No implication that the pan is coated (and certainly easily changed)!
So the oil will drain quickly from the crank case walls. The outside will look great.
I’ll take it!!

Playswithbrass
First Name: Peter
Last Name: McIntyre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster

Post by Playswithbrass » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:45 pm

Are you sure it was not ceramic coatings.This is done to reduce friction in race engines
Cheers pete

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:56 pm

Whatever the coating is get rid of it. No model T engine needs any kind of coating on the inside. 15 million plus...
unnec.jpg
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:20 pm

How did we go from the out side of the engine to inside the pan? :lol:
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:36 pm

Most any coating on the outside of an engine won’t hurt anything. Any coating on the inside of an engine is asking for trouble unless you know the exact circumstances, condition of parts, product used, etc.

Peter, Memphis TN
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Claverie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Peter, Memphis TN » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:56 pm

I'm going to hazard a guess that the coating is NOT ceramic. My reason is: I imagine that iron and ceramic have vastly different coefficients of expansion when heated, so there could not be any adhesion between them, and the coating would flake off. Unless, of course, the engine was being prepared for display in a museum, never to run.

On the other hand, Powder Coating is a definite possibility. It's really nothing but a different way to apply paint, but it can produce a surface so smooth it looks like a toilet bowl (ceramic). And, since a large number of Model T engines are painted, I don't see much difference between paint that is brushed or sprayed on and allowed to dry by evaporation, and a paint that is sprayed on dry and baked.

Now, as to whether painting an engine is a good thing or a bad thing, I have no opinion.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:25 pm

Peter

FWIW, Porcelain is not unknown in the automotive world for use on exhaust manifolds and other parts. From Pierce-Arrows to Jaguars...

Many years ago, in a fit of XKE envy, I sent my Austin Healey 3000 exhaust manifolds out to Prairie Auto for Black Porcelainizing. They were (and still are) gorgeous. They just aren't correct for the car, and now wish they'd flake off. They won't. Life just isn't fair!
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Gene_French
First Name: Gene
Last Name: French
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pkup.
MTFCA Number: 15614
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Gene_French » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:40 pm

Scott:
thanks for pointing out the fact that several autos used porcelain coatings on engine components … Cadillac V-8 for years … looked great and the engines did purr … not because of the porcelain or inspite of it … always an optimist ...Gene French

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic