Ford's future - “reconceptualize” the company’s vehicle lineup

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Ford's future - “reconceptualize” the company’s vehicle lineup

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon May 13, 2019 5:05 am

With the automaker’s first long-range electric vehicle set to be unveiled later this year, Ford officials said Thursday they’re on the right path as they “reconceptualize” the company’s vehicle lineup as well as its future.
Ford is in the midst of one of the most dramatic transformations the company has faced since founder Henry Ford threw the switch to start the auto industry’s first assembly line rolling more than 100 years ago. The automaker is largely abandoning passenger cars in favor of SUVs and crossover vehicles, pursuing the development of self-driving vehicles and exploring the transition from a classic automaker into a provider of mobility services.

The automaker laid out plans last year to spend $11 billion on the technology by 2022 — up from its original target of $4.5 billion by 2020 — to develop 40 new all-electric and hybrid models. The company has already announced two EVs it plans to introduce next year: a fully-electric F-150 pickup and a “Mustang-inspired” electric crossover vehicle.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/09/ford-ce ... o-evs.html
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Re: Ford's future - “reconceptualize” the company’s vehicle lineup

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Mon May 13, 2019 7:05 am

They are not alone. Many companies are abandoning sedans as their sales have hit bottom. Suv's are the ticket these days. The electrics aren't really a part of the sedan's demise.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon May 13, 2019 11:05 am

I have a few friends and acquaintences that subscribe to auto magazines and discuss the
new cars scene like some guys discuss sports .... who's doing what, latest stats, etc. They
can go on forever about "if only the's .... ", as they strategize about guiding a certain team
of player to a championship. In the case of the car guys, they talk about the car scene like
it is still 1967, and there is actually something exciting to go down and buy at the dealer.

New car interest and excitement ended for me in 1970. It was like a ten year battle with
cancer, and in 1970, the new car scene passed away, turning instead into a hype marketing
scam of selling less and less car each year for more and more money. And studio stylists were
directed to sit down each year and come up with something uglier than the year before. The
engineers were directed to design the "go" part of the vehicle around diagnostic computers
whose expense would remove the consumer mechanic from the scene entirely. I used to be
a very car-centric guy. But the product, price, and deliberate plan to sell America a sh!t
sandwich and tell us that it is better than anything that ever came before, just doesn't fly
with this observer.

So, when my new-car friends get to running their gums about the latest news in the auto
world, all I can ever really think of is spending north of $50K for a styled-up blob of Tupperware,
that I could not possibly work on without getting a degree and spending more money than I did
on the car to get the maintenance tools for it, and in the span of time it takes the mfr's. to
stop supplying vital parts, my entire foray into fiscal nonsense will reach its zenith in being a
car that is about as useless/worthless as a 15-year-old celfone or computer program. Why
not just buy an old Mustang or whatever, for 1/2 the price of a new one, enjoy an actually
nice and good looking car, ... one that will actually hold its value, and I can actually buy parts
and work on for as long as I am still alive ? Some people drink the Kool-Aid that new and shiny
is still something to get excited about. I am not interested in vinyl siding, and as long as cars
are all based on a "plastic" forum of body trim and electronic "guts", I will file discussions of
the such in the same bin of contempt I hold for other throw-away trash products.

And the funny thing is, these same newest-is-best thinking friends all come around and ooh
and ahh my "cool old junk", never hang on to their new stuff very long, and spend LONG hours
lamenting ever getting rid of the cool stuff they had years ago. Gee, Mr. Obvious, ... I never
made the connection ! :roll:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a Model T to go wrench on, thanks ..... :lol:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon May 13, 2019 11:57 am

Detroit's cars are far better than they were in the past. Government regulation, pollution and mileage requirements, crash test requirements have all resulted in the safest, longest lasting autos ever.

My '12 Fiesta gets up to 40 mpg (usually 35 in my normal driving), oil change every 10,000 miles, never had a tune up, airbags everywhere, should go for over 200,000 miles. Runs 80 mph smoothly, no problem. From those perspectives, anything made before '80 is crap.

Some people like the looks of cars from the 50's, or 60's, but those cars were crap compared to what is made today. Government at work for the benefit of the consumer.

Ford is putting big bucks into electric cars, do they know what they are doing?
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Like it or not, more electric cars are coming...
Talk of the GM Lordstown plant, recently closed do to poor sales of the Cruz, being sold to a company that will be making electric mail trucks.

My fear is the "climate change movement" will eventually raise the price of gasoline (or taxes) to an unaffordable/illogical rate and force fossil fuel vehicles to be parked.

James_B_NC
First Name: James
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster

Post by James_B_NC » Mon May 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Ruxstel24 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:17 pm
Talk of the GM Lordstown plant, recently closed do to poor sales of the Cruz, being sold to a company that will be making electric mail trucks.

My fear is the "climate change movement" will eventually raise the price of gasoline (or taxes) to an unaffordable/illogical rate and force fossil fuel vehicles to be parked.
Not an unfounded fear. They’ve tried to get rid of guns by going after ammunition...
The forum's resident Millennial.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:33 pm

James_b_nc wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:24 pm
Ruxstel24 wrote:

Not an unfounded fear. They’ve tried to get rid of guns by going after ammunition...
Yep...fortunately I roll my own. ;)

James_B_NC
First Name: James
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster

Post by James_B_NC » Mon May 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Ruxstel24 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:33 pm
James_b_nc wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:24 pm
Ruxstel24 wrote:

Yep...fortunately I roll my own. ;)
Same here.Love my muzzleloaders and I ain’t paying $50 for a box of ammo for my Type 99
The forum's resident Millennial.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue May 14, 2019 12:03 am

Tom Hicks wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:57 am
Detroit's cars are far better than they were in the past. Government regulation, pollution and mileage requirements, crash test requirements have all resulted in the safest, longest lasting autos ever.

My '12 Fiesta gets up to 40 mpg (usually 35 in my normal driving), oil change every 10,000 miles, never had a tune up, airbags everywhere, should go for over 200,00 miles. Runs 80 mph smoothly, no problem. From those perspectives, anything made before '80 is crap.

Some people like the looks of cars from the 50's, or 60's, but those cars were crap compared to what is made today. Government at work for the benefit of the consumer.
===========================================================

Crap ? By what measure ?

Clearly, what criteria you base such statements on is entirely different than the criteria others
might use to judge a vehicle. I'd sooner eat a sh!t sandwich than drive a POS like the car you describe.
I could not give a rip about airbags or smog controls. I enjoy tuning my cars and keeping them in
top shape. About 25 years ago, the DeSoto Club did a test with the State emissions station, and the
techs came back with readings that all our cars far exceeded regs for even modern cars. Longest
lasting ? Let's see how many '12 Fiestas are still on the road in 50-90 years. That is a claim you cannot
substantiate. My DeSoto is 61 years old, gets 26 mpg, and requires no computer diagnostics. And above
all, it does not look like a well worn bar of soap. The car has over 300,000 miles on it, and smoothly
runs up into the 120 mph range before air damming makes the steering a little sketchy. I LIKE to tune
and fuss with it. When I want the Bic lighter equivilent in my car, ..... well that will never happen.
That is not why I own cars.

Ten dollars says in a head-on collision between a '12 Fiesta and a '58 DeSoto, the Fiesta would be
scattered all over the road, the occupants sent to the morgue, and the DeSoto would be driven home.
When I was an EMT, I went to a call where a modern jellybean car had decided to take on a truck
at highway speeds. The car was unrecognizable, all five occupants killed, and the guy in the truck
was needing some new front end sheetmetal, but drove home.

Not sure why you like to come on an old car site and bash old cars, but I take exception to you
praising the blobmobiles and blanketly calling all old cars "crap". Perhaps there is a site out there
dedicated to bashing old cars for you to call home ?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 8:17 am

A '58 Desoto gets 26 mpg, passes all modern emission tests, and runs 120 mph! Wow, can that really be true?

Back to reality, I said, "My '12 Fiesta gets up to 40 mpg (usually 35 in my normal driving), oil change every 10,000 miles, never had a tune up, airbags everywhere, should go for over 200,00 miles. Runs 80 mph smoothly, no problem. From those perspectives, anything made before '80 is crap." I stand by that. From the perspective of mpg, oil changes, longevity, and being able to smoothly maintain highway speed, any car made before '80 is crap.

I am not here to bash old cars, I prefer to drive my T, weather permitting. I do start the Fiesta at least once every two weeks if she has been sitting and run her until she is warmed up. I seldom have to do that with my T's.

This thread is about new cars and Ford's direction. There is good reason that Ford is not going back to making Model T's, or flathead 8's, or anything like they made in the 50's and 60's. Alternative facts won't change that, the world is moving on. But those of us who like old cars can still enjoy the hobby.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 8:40 am

The effort to build fully autonomous vehicles by 2021 is a main pillar of Ford Smart Mobility: our plan to be a leader in autonomy, connectivity, mobility, customer experience and analytics. The vehicle will operate without a steering wheel, gas pedal or brake pedal within geo-fenced areas as part of a ride sharing or ride hailing experience. By doing this, the vehicle will be classified as a SAE Level 4 capable-vehicle, or one of High Automation that can complete all aspects of driving without a human driver to intervene.
https://corporate.ford.com/articles/aut ... -2021.html

And Ford is not alone in developing autonomous vehicles. Billions are being invested, this will happen.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 am

Tom Hicks wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:17 am
A '58 Desoto gets 26 mpg, passes all modern emission tests, and runs 120 mph! Wow, can that really be true?

Back to reality, I said, "My '12 Fiesta gets up to 40 mpg (usually 35 in my normal driving), oil change every 10,000 miles, never had a tune up, airbags everywhere, should go for over 200,00 miles. Runs 80 mph smoothly, no problem. From those perspectives, anything made before '80 is crap." I stand by that. From the perspective of mpg, oil changes, longevity, and being able to smoothly maintain highway speed, any car made before '80 is crap.

I am not here to bash old cars, I prefer to drive my T, weather permitting. I do start the Fiesta at least once every two weeks if she has been sitting and run her until she is warmed up. I seldom have to do that with my T's.

This thread is about new cars and Ford's direction. There is good reason that Ford is not going back to making Model T's, or flathead 8's, or anything like they made in the 50's and 60's. Alternative facts won't change that, the world is moving on. But those of us who like old cars can still enjoy the hobby.
===================================

Yes, Tom. A 4bbl percolated 383 pushing 2.76 gears will easily push the car over 100. Well tuned
and timed, it passed emissions without any issues. You're not much of a motorhead are you ? This
is not "alternate universe" stuff. Pretty basic math and mechanics.

As for "crap" ... the term is fairly inflammatory, and I would submit that your definition is flawed,
if not absurdly narrowminded. I guess it all boils down to what a person wants from a car. If a plastic,
electronically-dependent, blob-shaped thing on wheels that rarely needs tuneups and oil changes is
the pinnacle one shoots for, then I guess these new cars are the cat's pajamas. If a person wants
solid metal, lots of American style, and a vehicle they can work on with simple tools, then they are
probably not going to subscribe to the same definition of what is "crap".

I am positive there are multiple sites on the internet where you will be right at home extolling the
virtues of new cars and decrying how terrible old cars were.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 10:52 am

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 am
Tom Hicks wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:17 am

Yes, Tom. A 4bbl percolated 383 pushing 2.76 gears will easily push the car over 100. Well tuned
and timed, it passed emissions without any issues.
Right, well over 100, actually 120!!!
And it passes emissions with no issues!!!

AND it even gets 26 MPG !!!

There is a thread about Kalamity Dick, your "facts" might make more sense over there. In the meantime, please, leave my thread alone.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue May 14, 2019 11:01 am

Tom, you don't "own" a thread in this forum. All are open to discussion here whether or not subsequent posts are pleasant or agree with one another. If you want a platform of your own, I suggest you start a "blog".
"Get a horse !"

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 11:41 am

Rich Bingham wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:01 am
Tom, you don't "own" a thread in this forum. All are open to discussion here whether or not subsequent posts are pleasant or agree with one another. If you want a platform of your own, I suggest you start a "blog".
I don't claim to own a thread.

I was told to find another forum if I wanted to speak the truth about old cars. By someone who says that a Desoto gets 26 mpg. I don't want this thread clogged with nonsense. If he can tell me to find another forum to spread the truth, I can tell him to go to Kalamity Dick to spread his nonsense. He already posts there, and it is a good nonsense thread.

Rich Bingham

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue May 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:41 am
What happened to the line where you referred to "my thread " ?

I'm glad you agree.
"Get a horse !"

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Rich Bingham wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:22 pm
Tom Hicks wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:41 am
What happened to the line where you referred to "my thread " ?

I'm glad you agree.
OK my pedant friend, allow me to rephrase. Not "my thread", but a thread I started.

And Mr. Burger is allowed to post outright lies on that a thread which I started, then tell me to go find another forum, and I am not allowed to tell him to go to the Kalamity Dick thread where nonsense is constantly posted? Is he "special" or something?

This could be a serious thread on Ford's future, what it envisions, and where it is putting its money. Instead, thanks to Mr. Burger's lies, it has digressed into something similar to the Kalamity Dick thread.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 5:50 pm

Production of the self-driving vehicles is expected to start in 2021, with hybrid vehicles being shipped in to be fitted with driverless technology, the carmaker said. Ford said the work would be done in the Detroit area but did not specify where. Kelli Felker, a spokeswoman for the company, said the hybrids would not be an existing model.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/20/busi ... -cars.html

Rich Bingham

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 pm
. . . And Mr. Burger is allowed . . . and I am not allowed . . .
Tom, at its best, this forum is like dinner with friends; respectful discussions, and interesting viewpoints that may or may not agree. When exchanges become insulting and/or rancorous, everyone loses, and most readers likely tend to think that rather than "dinner with friends", it's a bar-room brawl, and the combatants need to take it outside. Excepting the moderators, no one who reads and posts to these boards has the power to say what is allowed or not allowed. Please yourself, but be advised that your contrbutions are far more valuable and enjoyable when you remove the burr from under your saddle.
"Get a horse !"

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Rich Bingham wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 pm
Tom Hicks wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 pm
. . . And Mr. Burger is allowed . . . and I am not allowed . . .
Tom, at its best, this forum is like dinner with friends; respectful discussions, and interesting viewpoints that may or may not agree. When exchanges become insulting and/or rancorous, everyone loses, and most readers likely tend to think that rather than "dinner with friends", it's a bar-room brawl, and the combatants need to take it outside. Excepting the moderators, no one who reads and posts to these boards has the power to say what is allowed or not allowed. Please yourself, but be advised that your contrbutions are far more valuable and enjoyable when you remove the burr from under your saddle.
Friends deal with truth. Mr. Burger does not have any credibility. How can this thread have a serious discussion of Ford's vision and future when Mr. Burger comes on this thread and speaks of his Desoto that gets 26 mpg? Really? He has no business posting on any thread except Kalamity Dick which is just nonsense posts.

And why do you continue to post in his defense when I am trying to redirect this thread to Ford's vision for the future, and where they are putting billions of dollars. That is the subject of this thread. This is serious, this is actually what is happening, … 26 mpg, please, how can you defend him. Stop. Let this thread be about Ford's future, not what some nincompoop says about Desotas.

Thanks.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 pm

Is there anyone who believes that Desotos got 26 mpg?
Is there anyone who believes that a Desoto would go 300,00 miles without a rebuild?

Is there anyone who believes this tripe, or is this thread being trolled?

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Wow, Tom .... please go on. Your stage show is quite impressive, the name calling and
insults, good as always. You get better with every post. Keep up the excellent work of
bringing utterly irrelevant subjects to the forum, with the signature consistent salting of
discord. :lol:

JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 pm

Let me start out by saying that i don't want to get involved in this little feud, I'd never do that. :shock: ;)
As much as i love all my old Steel, i can't see living in 2019 without owning a modern vehicle. We just bought our second Subaru Forester, which in my opinion is the Bee's Knees, its AWD and will go through any storm with ease, and has never let us down. I sleep better at night knowing its in the driveway in case of an emergency because i know it will start and get me to my destination pretty much guaranteed. Old cars,..not so much, actually not even close.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 11:47 pm

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 pm
Wow, Tom .... please go on. Your stage show is quite impressive, the name calling and
insults, good as always. You get better with every post. Keep up the excellent work of
bringing utterly irrelevant subjects to the forum, with the signature consistent salting of
discord. :lol:
I have to admit, you are an excellent troll. But why, what do you gain?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 11:51 pm

JP_noonan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 pm
Let me start out by saying that i don't want to get involved in this little feud, I'd never do that. :shock: ;)
As much as i love all my old Steel, i can't see living in 2019 without owning a modern vehicle. We just bought our second Subaru Forester, which in my opinion is the Bee's Knees, its AWD and will go through any storm with ease, and has never let us down. I sleep better at night knowing its in the driveway in case of an emergency because i know it will start and get me to my destination pretty much guaranteed. Old cars,..not so much, actually not even close.
Why a Subaru when you could own a Desoto? 26 mpg, 120 mpg, 300,000 miles before rebuild, and safer than any modern car!

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Tue May 14, 2019 11:55 pm

My modern iron is a 1986 Toyota 4x4. At 419,000 miles, the old 22r was getting tired and a
secondary problem pushed me to yank it and do a rebuild. At 504,000 miles, the carb and
intake were shot, and after a little research, a Weber carb and intake were swapped in. As
part of the process, a half mile of vacuum hoses and BS was removed, and the truck will now
fly up hills it struggled to maintain speed on before. I keep meticulous records on it, including
every fuel purchase and mileage. Last year (for tax purposes) the two numbers crunched out
at 26.17mpg. This old dog will go anywhere I point it in snow or sand. It's limitation is weight
in hauling. If I have to move something really heavy or big, the TT gets called into service.

I would not hesitate to get in this thing and drive it anywhere. Age, high miles are irrelevant.
I keep it in great operating condition and being unencumbered by electronics, I could fix it on
the side of the road with simple tools. The truck cost me $1700 twenty years ago. It had 109,000
miles on it. I purposely sought out a 84-88 Toyota 4x4 because it runs on the 22r engine, is notoriously
reliable, is the last small Toyota truck, and thusly gets great fuel economy, AND has a huge following,
ensuring a terrific parts supply industry that makes maintenance easy and inexpensive. Just tonight
I ordered a new, all-brass radiator for it. $186.43 and free shipping. Try doing that with a new Ford
or Toyota, .... nevermind when those electronics go gunnysack. Priced out an automotive computer
lately ? :lol:

I would not trade this "crappy" old truck for a new truck of any make or model.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 pm

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:55 pm
My modern iron is a 1986 Toyota 4x4. At 419,000 miles, the old 22r was getting tired and a
secondary problem pushed me to yank it and do a rebuild. At 504,000 miles, the carb and
intake were shot, and after a little research, a Weber carb and intake were swapped in. As
part of the process, a half mile of vacuum hoses and BS was removed, and the truck will now
fly up hills it struggled to maintain speed on before. I keep meticulous records on it, including
every fuel purchase and mileage. Last year (for tax purposes) the two numbers crunched out
at 26.17mpg. This old dog will go anywhere I point it in snow or sand. It's limitation is weight
in hauling. If I have to move something really heavy or big, the TT gets called into service.

I would not hesitate to get in this thing and drive it anywhere. Age, high miles are irrelevant.
I keep it in great operating condition and being unencumbered by electronics, I could fix it on
the side of the road with simple tools. The truck cost me $1700 twenty years ago. It had 109,000
miles on it. I purposely sought out a 84-88 Toyota 4x4 because it runs on the 22r engine, is notoriously
reliable, is the last small Toyota truck, and thusly gets great fuel economy, AND has a huge following,
ensuring a terrific parts supply industry that makes maintenance easy and inexpensive. Just tonight
I ordered a new, all-brass radiator for it. $186.43 and free shipping. Try doing that with a new Ford
or Toyota, .... nevermind when those electronics go gunnysack. Priced out an automotive computer
lately ? :lol:

I would not trade this "crappy" old truck for a new truck of any make or model.
Yeah, yeah, you are wonderful, but you have no credibility. Why don't you go post on the nonsense thread instead of trolling this thread?

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed May 15, 2019 12:18 am

Mr. Hicks,

You are truly showing your ignorance of mechanics, so let's start backing up your accusations.

I've been building Mopars for 40 years. The B-block 383 is an exceptional engine for building for
both power and economy. With a little tech knowledge, an excellent balance of power and economy
can be achieved. The 58 DeSoto coupe crosses the scales at 3800lbs, the convertible is a little
heavier, because of the beefier frame. Lowered compression, high flow 906 heads, special camming,
windage tray, and a few other details can make a lot of power on a minimum of fuel consumption.
Set the gearing high at 2.76 and drive the car like you care about it, and you can get pretty good
fuel economy for a big 50's American car. You can make all the inflammatory comments you like.
You have no idea what you are talking about and all the name calling and accusations do not change
that.

Not sure why you are on this site. What does any of this have to do with Model T's besides the common
name of "Ford" ? Surely there are dozens of sites where you can indulge your interests in driverless cars
and automotive industry future ops to your heart's content ?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 am

Burger in Spokane wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:18 am
Mr. Hicks,

You are truly showing your ignorance of mechanics, so let's start backing up your accusations.

I've been building Mopars for 40 years. The B-block 383 is an exceptional engine for building for
both power and economy. With a little tech knowledge, an excellent balance of power and economy
can be achieved. The 58 DeSoto coupe crosses the scales at 3800lbs, the convertible is a little
heavier, because of the beefier frame. Lowered compression, high flow 906 heads, special camming,
windage tray, and a few other details can make a lot of power on a minimum of fuel consumption.
Set the gearing high at 2.76 and drive the car like you care about it, and you can get pretty good
fuel economy for a big 50's American car. You can make all the inflammatory comments you like.
You have no idea what you are talking about and all the name calling and accusations do not change
that.

Not sure why you are on this site. What does any of this have to do with Model T's besides the common
name of "Ford" ? Surely there are dozens of sites where you can indulge your interests in driverless cars
and automotive industry future ops to your heart's content ?
And now you are a MOPAR engine rebuilder! Wow you are amazing! I would love to see your machine shop sometime. A legend in your own mind!

"you can get pretty good fuel economy for a big 50's American car" ? 26 mpg? Do you honestly believe you can get 26 mpg in a Desoto?

Earlier you said you could get 300,000 miles on a Desoto engine. That is incredible. In fact it is like you, not credible.

This is the OT forum and I feel that real information about what Ford sees in the future and where they are putting their money interesting. I understand that you are more interested in yourself and what you are doing and things you have done and things you claim to or think you have done, but this thread is not about you and your nonsense.

You will find the thread on Kalamity Dick most welcoming, why do you post here? Are you just a troll, or do you think others come to a thread on Ford to read about how wonderful you perceive yourself to be?

Please, again, please do not post your silliness on this thread or any thread I start.

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Wed May 15, 2019 9:46 am

As to where Ford's going: They are going where every other car maker is going. Chasing the $. Sedans right now are dead. The market for them is very small BUT some of the foreign makers who still produce a few will clean up in that area. SUV"S, Mustang's and pick-ups (full and mid size) will be it for the American market from Ford. As to electrics; Plenty is not being told to the public. In cold weather the range on these cars can drop 20% and up. Heater use (of course) will shorten it further. Charge up times increase in the cold too. They'll flourish in moderate weather conditions though.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Derek Kiefer
First Name: Derek
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring, 1926 Gow Job
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Derek Kiefer » Wed May 15, 2019 12:16 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 pm
Is there anyone who believes this tripe
Not me, not even a little bit. :roll:

New cars do everything better than old ones. There are some turds today as there always have been, but by and large, cars today are much better than they ever were. Old cars look good and are fun to drive, but that's where the advantages end... but new cars can look good and be fun to drive too though, if you buy the right one. 8-)

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am

New York (CNN Business)Ford is cutting 7,000 white-collar jobs, or about 10% of its salaried staff worldwide, as part of a cost-cutting effort it says will save the company about $600 million a year.
Ford (F) says workers will begin to be notified of cuts starting Tuesday, and the terminations will be completed by the end of August. About 2,400 of the jobs cuts are in North America, and 1,500 of the positions will be eliminated through a voluntary buyout offer.
The move is an effort to cut bureaucracy within the company and flatten the management structure in addition to its desire to cut costs, according to a letter CEO Jim Hackett sent to employees Monday morning.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/business ... index.html

Leaner and meaner?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed May 22, 2019 8:18 am

Ford is working on a way to resolve what self-driving researchers refer to as “the last 50-foot problem.” If an autonomous delivery vehicle arrives at your house, without any humans aboard, who’s going to carry the package, grocery bags or piping-hot pizza to your doorstep? A robot, of course, could be up to the task—with no tipping necessary.

Remove the human driver from the equation, and delivery costs could plunge by 60 percent or more. The benefits could be in the billions.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ford ... 01421.html

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed May 22, 2019 5:26 pm

“The bottom line is that Ford’s announced job cuts are absurd," said market analyst Jon Gabrielsen, who advises automakers and auto suppliers. "No one who analyzes the Ford situation believes that 7,000 job cuts remotely scratches the surface of what will be required for Ford’s long-term longevity."
He added, "Adam Jonas, the most respected analyst in the business, estimates that Ford will need to cut an additional 23,000 salaried workers through 2022, for a total of 30,000 since late 2018. My own estimate, arrived at separately and before his report came out, indicated an additional 22,000 cuts would be needed."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bigger-cuts- ... 09452.html

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 28, 2019 8:15 am

New York (CNN Business)General Motors, America's largest automaker, and Bechtel, the country's largest construction company, are teaming up to build thousands of electric vehicle fast-charging stations across the United States. The two companies have agreed to create a joint venture that will build the charger network.
Adding more fast charging stations should provide a boost to sales of electric cars. One of the biggest concerns Americans have about electric cars is whether there will be enough places to charge them, according to a recent survey by AAA.
This network will not only help GM (GM), which plans to introduce 20 new electric vehicle models by 2023. But the new chargers could also be used by other manufacturers' electric vehicles, too.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/28/business ... index.html

A lot of companies are putting big money into electrics and autonomous. Are their bets wrong?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Looks like something Henry would put on the back of a TT:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/05/cars/air ... index.html

Loftfield
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:48 am

To all those who are excited about driverless cars: just remember that the Titanic couldn't sink and the Hindenburg couldn't burn! When you get into a driverless car you let somebody else, who knows where, take responsibility for your traveling down the road at a high rate of speed. It will take only one modest hack of the "system" for those driverless cars to produce mass mayhem on a terrorist scale. There is nothing wrong with electric cars as a concept. Before 1905 most cars were electric, because they were owned by the wealthy denizens of big cities. It is likely that electric vehicles will be very useful in the urban environment, but will they actually work on the farm, out back? As for longevity, there will be no "modern" cars on the road in only a few years because obsolescence is planned in, and in any event the hardware and software of the computer systems will all be in the category of unobtainium. Fortunately, I do think that our current crop of hundred year old Fords will still be running in another hundred years, might be the only personal vehicles left..

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:36 pm

I want to jump into this for minute...

My '53 ford, with a '49 Merc flathead V8, Sludgeomatic 2 speed, got 28 to the gallon, and would run up to the century mark once the transmission got out of the way... and did so smoothly and somewhat effortlessly...

Don't know how it would do at a smog station since they couldn't run it for smog that long ago.

And when I ran into the rear quarter panel of a "new" 75 LTD, it promptly removed the differential from said car.

I could only imagine what it would do with one of the airbag specials of today... the occupants may be able to get out of what's left of their "pillowmobile" once they use the jaws of life to pry the components apart, but likely they'll be pulled out by either the ambulance crew or the sheriff because doing the cut and peel took too long...

Not saying the old cars were inherently safer, but the new ones with all their improvements have their own issues.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:10 am

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/ranger

The resurrection of the Ranger, isn't that a step back?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:48 am

Ford Motor is staying close to home to test its latest generation of autonomous vehicle technology.

The automaker and Argo AI have deployed their latest self-driving test vehicle in Detroit.
It will be the fifth city where the companies are seeing how their autonomous vehicles handle a variety of conditions.
Ford Motor is staying close to home to test its latest generation of autonomous vehicle technology.
The automaker and Argo AI have deployed their latest self-driving test vehicle in Detroit, making it the fifth city where the companies are seeing how their autonomous vehicles handle a variety of conditions.

“Bringing these vehicles to Detroit in addition to our other test cities gives us the opportunity to learn how they operate in yet another environment,” Argo AI President Peter Rander said in a post on Medium.
Argo and Ford are already testing self-driving vehicles in Pittsburgh, Palo Alto, California, Miami and Washington, D.C.

While this Fusion is Ford’s third generation autonomous vehicle, it is unlikely to be its last before the company rolls out its first fully autonomous vehicle for commercial use. That is scheduled to happen in 2021. Ford expects that model will be used by ride-hailing companies, package delivery companies and other businesses.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/12/ford-ex ... otype.html

2021, not far away...

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:23 am

I am so totally uninterested in a self driving vehicle. I will never own even a semi autonomous vehicle. I actually enjoy driving along with the freedom and control one derives from the experience.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:52 pm

I wish autonomous vehicles were available today. I find that modern cars are nothing but boring to drive. I much prefer a T for my regular driving, but when it is raining I would like to have an autonomous vehicle available. Also for long trips and interstate driving, both boring to me, let the vehicle drive itself and I can spend my time posting on the Forum!

I think the biggest benefit will be for older people who can no longer drive. They can continue to live in their own home and have the ability to go where they want.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Well, folks that want to jump in a robot and ride are welcome to do so.But there are so many issues.What if the robot car kills someone? Whos responsiable? I think some cases have already came along and the results I have heard little about.
As for electric, it will be decades before everyone will trust a electric cordless vehical. If you ever used a cordless drill as I was this morning,and the battery goes dead,it is a good reminder of how it would feel to be on the side of the road with a dead battery.
Not many folks understand the risk fire and rescue personal are up against either with these electric cars. Most of the guys in our department would not know a Tesla from a Toyota if it was in a crash and burning as they pulled up to the wreck.Dangers by the boocoo.
I like the technology in the Rivian truck and suv but at 80 grand for the 400 mile range model,I doubt I will be buying 1 anything soon. But Ford liked it enough to invest in the company.Can't remember how much but it was enough to insure production.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Derek Kiefer
First Name: Derek
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring, 1926 Gow Job
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Derek Kiefer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:52 pm
I find that modern cars are nothing but boring to drive.
You just haven't driven the right modern car then... ;)

There are some seriously fun cars being built today if you beat them hard enough. :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic