Stolen Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
telecros
First Name: Dana
Last Name: Crosby
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Tudor, 1926 Runabout, 1926 Speedster, 1920 Speedster project
MTFCA Number: 26077

Stolen Model T

Post by telecros » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Date: January 9, 2019 at 10:47 PM
Subject: 1915 model t

Good evening,
I’m reaching out to all clubs listed on a model t club page that I found. A couple weeks ago my elderly grandfather with dementia had his 1915 model t stolen along with a double axle cargo trailer with an expired North Carolina plate on it. The trailer housed the car. A man with the last name Weeks came into their home and took the vehicle, trailer, and a spare crank engine from them without payment. This is a very deceitful man and if by chance anyone in the club knows who the Weeks is and how to find/get in touch with him my family would be more than appreciative. Weeks traveled to my grandparents’ home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and scurried out without payment. I will attach a photo of the car. My number is (225) 747-6026. Any help tracking down this thief would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Calli East

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Stolen 1915 Model T. Report theft to the Police

Post by Novice » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Be sure to report this theft / scam to the Police along with serial number off the motor and possible chassis, If the car was currently insured by a classic car carrier it probably has close to full value coverage that covers theft probably more than the car could be sold for in the current market. Please post the Motor number here on the forum. The car show and swap meet season is about to start and it is quiet possible this car could show up at one of the meets or on one of the tours. Good Luck.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Stolen Model T

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Suggest you include pictures of the trailer as well. It will help id the car & trailer if the picture show some markings; dents, scraps, paint scheme etc. There are lots of cars and trailers out there that look the same until you compare such markings.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Jim_PTC_GA
First Name: James
Last Name: Fisher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924, 1925-ish
MTFCA Number: 31822
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Jim_PTC_GA » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:34 pm

Pictures would help even old ones. A quick search on Craigslist brought up 4 1915 Ts. Don't know if there the ones but i like them.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 66316.html

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/reno- ... 87168.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/ ... 73368.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/c ... 99941.html

There are also a few on eBay.

I hope you find it and the person is caught. As a person with a brain disease I feel for you and your family. Ive been lucky I have a wife who keeps track of the things I'm into and she likes junk. She has prevented more than one scammer getting my money.
Just give me time to Rust and I'll be good as new. :) Wabi-Sabi

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Sad to read this, and I don't doubt a word you have written. But, if you catch up with this guy he could say that your father gave him the car and trailer, or that he paid cash, or some such crap. You might still get justice, but it might not be easy.

I think this is a warning to all of us who are elderly and own T's, or young and have an elderly parent who owns a T. Crooks are out there looking for an easy mark, people with dementia are easy marks. We need to plan accordingly.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Nothing worse than scum who prey on kids or the elderly.

He deserves the very worst outcome imaginable.

I'll be at most of the big swap meets in Texas and a couple in Oklahoma this year. Please post a photo of the trailer and car.
1924 Touring

Don D
Last Name: Demio
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T
MTFCA Number: 27167
MTFCI Number: 20405

Post by Don D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:35 pm

In addition to reporting the 1915 Model T motor number to police be sure to report the license plate number and the trailer plate number and trailer VIN (Vehicle Identification number). When properly entered into the national police information system, a check by any police agency will get a "Hit" that could lead to recovery and arrest.

Best of luck,
Dom

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:53 pm

Please post the pictures as soon as you can. And please post several different photos if you have them. If there are photos of the engine or other close ups they will be of great help. As mentioned above, the trailer is also an important clue. The type of trailer, color, make (if known), length, dents, type of rear door, and damage will all be a big help. More than likely the trailer will show up first, so pictures of it will help. This forum has a wealth of active and well traveled Model T folks. So it is possible that one of us may cross paths with your grandfather's car or trailer. Any of us who frequent craigslist also need to keep a lookout for something resembling the car or trailer. I have a mom with dementia, and it is a constant worry of someone preying on her, while we may not be looking. There is a limited market for model Ts at this time, so if they try to sell it, maybe one of us will be approached. We hope you catch the lowlife that would do something like this, but be prepared for all the lies the thief may come up with. If the car is found, retrieve it from the police holding unit as quickly as possible. A lot of police holding departments charge "holding fees" for the recovered items. If you take very long to get the item back, the fees could be thousands of dollars in a short time. Some police departments are as crooked as the crooks. You are responsible for the fees before they release the items. They say it is "your responsibility" to get the fees back from the thief when you go to court.

Please check back to this forum often, or post some way to contact you or the police dept. handling this. Time is of the essence, so a quick contact number is needed.

Good luck, and you have a bunch of concerned folks here. hoping you catch the thief, with as little grief as possible ....

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:24 pm

Give us as much info as possible and you'll have a bunch of people looking. One caution, the thief might try to part it out, knowing that the car if whole would be too easy to identify and difficult to sell.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 am

here is a picture I received from a friend in Arizona. Not great but. . . . .
image1.png

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:46 am

Dan, that's the same photo Dana Crosby sent to me. I emailed Calli about the forum and it looks like she has taken up my suggestion to spread the news far and wide. Unless her grandfather has photos tucked away some where, those that can be supplied by others who knew of/toured with her grand father may be the best source. Trailer photos will be more difficult. I know I don't take photos of trailers which turn up on tours.

Allan from down under.

Mindless Automaton
First Name: Kep
Last Name: Kerensky
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 truck, 26 bug
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Mindless Automaton » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:24 am

Strip the flesh & salt the wound!

RustyFords
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 am

Lots of unique identifiers on that car....let's hope the scum is caught (and put down) and the car is returned.
1924 Touring

Dan McEachern
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Allan- yes it is the pic from Dana. I e-mailed her and gave her the URL to the Forum, but she posted no picture, so . . . . We all need to help with the stolen car thing, regardless of the location or type of car. The more eyes the better! It has to turn up somewhere, sometime.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:56 pm

I have highlighted some identifying details that will distinguish this T from others, just like fingerprints. Accessories (horns, rear view mirrors etc may be added, swapped for a different style or removed altogether. What someone will have difficulty with and may no even think about are dings, dents and even wood grain patterns. You need to zoom in to see the details.. The board under the child's heal is easy to spot and a red flag to look for and remember as <<<<<<< others...
ID markings
ID markings
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Going to Nashville and Wilson County next month so will keep my eyes wide open in this part of the country!

Hank in Tin-A-See

P.S. Can I have the first punch in the face?

T&a2015
First Name: John
Last Name: Lemon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Roadster, 1915 Touring, 1919 Roadster, 1922 Touring, 1924 TT Martin-Perry cab, 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Sedan, 1927 TT C-Cab
MTFCA Number: 31714

Post by T&a2015 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:26 pm

get in line Hank........

FreighTer Jim
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by FreighTer Jim » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 pm

This appears to be something copied & pasted.

For a vehicle and/or a trailer to be “ STOLEN “ - a police report has to be filed.

There is no contact information for any law enforcement agency listed.

It is noted that someone entered a home - unless they broke in - they were invited
to enter.

If someone has problems with mental health ( such as Denentia ) - they should
not be managing their finances - there should be a Power Of Attorney appointed.

This sounds like a Civil Matter.

Not a Crime.

The Model T and/or the trailer could have been gifted - traded - sold
by the owner in a legal manner.

No one posting knows what took place because they did not witness it firsthand.

Unless someone witnessed the events firsthand and wants to join a
public forum and post under their name about what they witnessed
firsthand - this is a third party account of events.

FreighTer Jim
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

VWGary
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Schreiber
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 22,26 & 27
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by VWGary » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:51 am

FreighTer Jim wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 pm

For a vehicle and/or a trailer to be “ STOLEN “ - a police report has to be filed.

It is noted that someone entered a home - unless they broke in - they were invited
to enter.

Not a Crime.

FreighTer Jim
Love your level of support........useless
Former member of MTFCA, MTFCI, SCMTFCA
Don't have to be ashamed of the car I drive, I'm just glad to be here, happy to be alive.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:14 am

No not really, FJ just hit the nail on the head, we can only report it to authorities and hope for the best.

Life and modern day laws and wishes must be protected by setting up “In the event of”. Thanks Jim, very good point.

Hank in Tin-A-See

James_B_NC
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster

Post by James_B_NC » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:40 am

vwgary wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:51 am
FreighTer Jim wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:47 pm

to enter.

Not a Crime.

FreighTer Jim
Love your level of support........useless
It’s called realism.The cops won’t be so helpful.
The forum's resident Millennial.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034

Post by Humblej » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:37 pm

If I may clarify this please. As I understand it, someone on this forum saw the stolen car request for help on some other forum, and posted it here on behalf of the original writer, possibly without the original writers knowledge, but with the best of intentions. It is doubtful that the original writer is monitering this forum so any helpful information or advice should be provided directly to them via the telephone number provided in the first post. Any questions or comments posted here will be a one way conversation.

Dan McEachern

Post by Dan McEachern » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:10 am

Jeff- that's not the case at all if you go back and read the OP. The OP was posted by the owners granddaughter. She did the posting at my suggeston, but did not include a picture. I posted the picture from a posting that I had been forwarded by someone else not related to this forum, in an attempt to make locating the car easier.

Hard to understand the direction this thread is taking, but it is a public forum. All I cana hope for is that the car is located. The involved parties can battle out the details among themselves if it comes to that.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034

Post by Humblej » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:54 am

Dan,
The original post was from Telecross a.k.a. Dana Crosby of Arizona, a member of this forum. The post was a cut and paste of a posting from some other forum originally written by Calli East of Louisiana, who was asking for help regarding alleged stolen property. Since Calli East did not actually start this post, I doubt she is monitoring it and therefore receiving the advice and suggestions our members are posting. Dana probably should have started the post with a disclaimer that this is another persons post from another site, but be that as it may, I commend Dana's passing this information along so the collective wisdom and experience on this forum might help in the the recovery of the stolen property and its safe return to the rightful owner. Best wishes to Calli and kudos to Dana.

Sincerely,

Jeff Humble, MTFCA Forum Member, a.k.a humblej

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Jeff, Calli may well be monitoring this forum. When Dana first emailed me her story, I emailed her and suggested she contact both the MTFCA and the MTFCI to spread the news far and wide to get more eyes looking. I hope it works for her.

Allan from down under.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:30 pm

I think we need to stop critiquing the message and do what we can to help them find their T.If it was mine that was stolen,I would hope folks would help me any way they could.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

VWGary
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Schreiber
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 22,26 & 27

Post by VWGary » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:14 am

tdump wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:30 pm
I think we need to stop critiquing the message and do what we can to help them find their T.If it was mine that was stolen,I would hope folks would help me any way they could.
Agreed Mack, posting and criticizing the family at this point does no good.
Former member of MTFCA, MTFCI, SCMTFCA
Don't have to be ashamed of the car I drive, I'm just glad to be here, happy to be alive.

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 am

tdump wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:30 pm
I agree as well Mack! I hope & pray that they are caught & also it would be nice if the OP would update the thread if they are caught & the car
is returned.

Gary...As always your insight is Keen!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS