Topic author
modeltbarn
First Name: Gary
Last Name: London
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16592

1914 engine block; Free, needs work

Post by modeltbarn » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:23 pm

I've got a 1914 engine block that was machined at the manifold ports and the metal was cut thin, resulting in a leak. A repair attempt was made before I assembled the engine and I thought it was good but it wasn't.... by the time I found that out the engine was in the car and running. Another attempt was made with Belzona to seal it up, again without success. I think with the block out of the car someone can repair this, but I'm not going to do it. The babbit is new for a standard size crank. I'll go ahead and scrap this if nobody wants it but I figured I'd give this a shot first.

The leak is below the manifold ports at cylinders 3 & 4. There is no benefit taking and posting pictures because you can't see the actual leak due to the epoxy covering it.

I will give this to anybody that wants it, and I can ship it of you pay for it. All I want in exchange are a good set of main caps and bolts to replace the ones that are machined for the bearings in this block.

I do have the valves, springs, keepers and lifters that were in this. If whoever takes this block wants those I'll sell them for a good price, but I'm happy to keep them for a future project.

Send me a PM if you're interested. I'll toss this at the end of the month if it doesn't have a home.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: 1914 engine block; Free, needs work

Post by RajoRacer » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:59 pm

Really Gary - Belzona repair didn't hold ???? Must be one hell of a crack !!! I've done several "in car" water jacket crack repairs with that stuff and all's well - too bad !

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 pm

Bring it down to the Long Beach Swap meet on July 20. Somebody will certainly give you gas money for it. Sure sounds like it could be fixed if it's just the water jacket.

I've fixed a couple of freeze cracks with Ultra Black and a shim stock patch. The UB seems to hold I think because it is flexible but super tough.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:52 pm

I would be very interested in trying to fix it! How can we arrange to transport it?
If someone else really wants it and has better plans for a repair? I would gladly step aside. I have repaired some really nast stuff over the years, and would like to see that block back on the road.

Topic author
modeltbarn

Post by modeltbarn » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:20 pm

Wayne; In August I can get it to Davis. Do you have a good set of main bearing caps and bolts to swap out? The babbit in this is almost new, it was done by Antique Engine Bearing Service in Escondido. You could mail me the caps to swap out and I can drop this in Davis. I'll only be there one day, I can't make it to Grass Valley (I wish I could my parents used to live there).

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:21 am

Are you wanting good used main caps? Or rebuilt ones? As far as I would be concerned, you could keep the caps and bolts from this block. I have good used caps and have hand fit many over the years. It would be a simple matter for me to refit good caps and save hassles trading back and forth. That way, you could have what you know is good.
I am running low on what I would call really nice main bearing bolts, although I have plenty that are solid and nice enough for my uses. Again, if you preferred, you could keep the ones from the block. I almost always blue and hand fit main and rod bearings. (I even had a reputable machine shop deliver an engine with a main cap on backwards, glad I checked that one!)

My schedule is very difficult due to sick family. Time allowing, I would like to meet up with you when you are in Davis. If time doesn't work out, is there someone in the Davis/Sacramento area you could drop it off at?

If this works out, that block might replace the late '15 engine in my early '15 runabout. I would prefer a slightly early engine over a slightly late engine.

Topic author
modeltbarn

Post by modeltbarn » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:38 am

Hi Wayne

My goal is to have the caps that are with the block now remain with it because all of the babbit is new and was fit to a standard size crank, so it could be re-bored for an under-size crank. It's a shame to waste a new babbit job. I want to have a set of main caps and bolts so I can use them if I need to have another block babbited in the future. I can keep my bolts and you could send or drop off a set of main caps.

I'll check the date but think August 2nd is when I'll be up there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic