It seems that the Words "Rebuilt" or "Remanufactured" Have Different Connotation to some folk!!!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTMark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 TT, 1923 Touring, 1927 Tudor, 1915 Roadster
Board Member Since: 1999

It seems that the Words "Rebuilt" or "Remanufactured" Have Different Connotation to some folk!!!

Post by ModelTMark » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:34 pm

The below link to a Model T engine on ebay is advertised as being “rebuilt,” but by my standards (and many others) this is not clearly not a rebuilt short block. Whomever buys this engine with the understanding that it was “rebuilt” will be greatly disappointed. At best, this might fall into the category of a “semi-refreshed” engine. New babbitt bearings, piston rings, and polished crankshaft and rod journals fall way short of what is normally accepted as “rebuilt” by any reputable Model T engine builder. Heck, this engine still has the problematic two-piece valves. Also, the seller stated in the ad that he “ran the engine for an hour to set the rings.” Who in their right mind would spend a day assembling this engine to the point where it could be ran, run it for a hour, and then spend more hours disassembling it again (not to mention the wasted expenditures of a full engine gasket set to include an expensive head gasket, oil, sealant, etc.). None of this makes any logical sense.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-S ... Sw~lRchYRs

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Re: It seems that the Words "Rebuilt" or "Remanufactured" Have Different Connotation to some folk!!!

Post by JohnH » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:33 pm

Knowing first hand how much work is involved in re-babbiting a block and rods, it is surprising that a collection of two piece valves would go back in (not even in their original locations if the pin pricks are any indication) - ready to separate and punch a hole in the head, as I know from personal experience. If the babbit was so worn as to need replacement, I wonder about the condition of the cylinder bores and valve guides, and if the crankshaft has been crack tested properly.
Interesting logic behind creating a working power plant and then pulling it apart to sell only a portion of it. Surely it would be of more value as a complete running unit?

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: It seems that the Words "Rebuilt" or "Remanufactured" Have Different Connotation to some folk!!!

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:52 pm

I think I would have installed new valves in it if I was advertising it as being rebuilt. Using the old valves in it and the pic showing them not in the best shape doesn’t look to good and showing as being rebuilt. If he would have installed new valves it might be a different story.
MHO

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:57 pm

$300-$400 tops... :(

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:32 pm

From several engine builder sites
A remanufactured engine is remanufactured to the original blueprints and exact specifications, and is tested to original equipment standards. Basically all new parts.
A rebuilt engine, the repair is done up to the level of failure. This directly means that the engine has been repaired up to the level of failure for which there was a need of rebuilding; but apart from that, components are left intact. The testing procedure of rebuilt engine depends upon the individual rebuilder from whom you are getting the job done. Basically just replace the part(s) needing repair.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:45 am

I didn't see anything that said the valves were "two-piece". The two holes on the top of the heads does not necessarily mean the valves are two-piece. After-market one-piece valves were being manufactured and sold by 1920, with the two holes on top. Such valves were being manufactured up until about 1970, and can still be found today.
Many people would say that new valves should always be used. Others, including me, find good used valves are usually fine to use. In fact, the worst blown engine I personally worked on after it was blown, was a '70ish Chevy V8 that broke a head off a new valve with less than 20,000 miles on it. The valve head broke off, punched a big hole in the head, split not one but two cylinders lengthwise, and bent two connecting rods, damaged the cam shaft, and more. That was a new OEM valve.
A good looking run proven one-piece T valve? Yeah, I'll take my chances. Two little holes in the head and all.

Regardless, that engine is way over priced for the level of work done.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:56 am

009C581E-1758-48E3-9C6B-35A8A87088CE.jpeg
184E7929-F2CB-49AB-9E2A-98CD50862DF4.jpeg

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:33 am

Years ago when Model T engines and Model A engines were still fairly plentiful you could go to a swap meet or at auctions and come across mostly complete engines, clean them up and replace worn out or missing parts and have a decent running engine.
In the 70’s and not having much money I built up a good engine from the remains of three.
Now knowing that doing this will make some folks cringe or roll their eyes in amazement I wonder if anyone still does this.
I was always on the look out for engines that I thought had good babbitt in it. I still have one engine block left that has good babbitt in it.

I guess you could call that type of engine being built up ‘home refreshed’!?

I have an idea there are still some T’s that have that type of engine still in them. I still have one in that’s in my 1919 Roadster. And it still runs pretty good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic