This is becoming ridiculous!

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

This is becoming ridiculous!

Post by Marv K » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:23 pm

With friends and relatives in that area, when does the revolt begin?
https://www.powernationtv.com/post/sacr ... own-garage
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Re: This is becoming ridiculous!

Post by ironhorse » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Sounds like a business opportunity to me, buy some land zoned for light industrial and build a fully enclosed 10 stall furnished with tools and start advertising to DIY'ers. Work on your car in air conditioned comfort for a small stall rental and disposal fee...... Naw Sacramento would probably tax it out of existence :evil: !
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:06 pm

Seems to me, the reasons to stay in CA are fewer than the reasons for LEAVING... :roll:

Most Model T tools are noiseless, FWIW !! ;)

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Who they gonna call? The garage police? They cant enforce all the laws now. Glad I live in a fly over state with a bunch of other corn cobs.

Scottio

Post by Scottio » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:30 pm

It is obvious how this is T related. Most of us work on our own cars as do I. I can't seem to find a way of describing how the government of Ca. actually thinks they are some great example for the whole world to admire as was said in an interview recently in the news, and keep it T related,,,,,,,,, so I wont. I really want my beautiful state back......... So I can have the freedom to drive and tinker with my T all I want. :)

John bevardos
First Name: John
Last Name: bevardos
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Roadster, Coupe, pickup truck, 2-door

Post by John bevardos » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:31 pm

And why do I want to move outta here???!! West Palm Beach , here I come!!

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by babychadwick » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:31 pm

So I guess you are busted if you go to work on your brakes and don't have everything you absolutely need before taking things apart because as we know most parts stores don't stock parts like they used to.
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Topic author
Marv K
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")

Post by Marv K » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:34 pm

From the article: "And a user in the forum, nimblemotorsports, mentioned that he’d already received a $430 fine for working on his car in his garage."
California elected them...

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:04 pm

So very, very sad.

The gorgeious state of California used to be teaming with tinkerers, repairmen, hotrodders, etc.

There's been some talk of the rural parts splitting off and forming a freer, more liberty-loving state. I have a good friend who has a farm outside of Modesto and he's all for it. If I want to wind him up, all I have to do is mention nanny-state, do-gooders and he'll rant and rave for as long as you care to listen.
1924 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:13 pm

We keep electing those people! Wake up before it's too late.

I think they are thinking about modern cars. They can be made to run fine, but won't pass the smog test, so they want all work done by professionals. However, most of the prof. don't know a thing about Model T's.

These are the same people who want to put meters on our wells and also want to charge people for having a vacant house!

Norm

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Susanne » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:17 pm

This in a city that holds what was once called the "Towe Ford Museum"... :lol: (... and please don't get me started on that... those who have seen me on here for a while know that particular sad story...)

This started to prevent people from running auto repair shops out of their family homes in residential neighborhoods (which was kinda rampant for a while in certain neighborhoods in Sacramento)... but it's now become a way to stretch it to rake in revenue for the county by fining people who are working on their own cars in their own garages.

Thing is... it's all in definitions. Most people where I live have older vehicles, use air tools for their vehicle maintenance (like changing tires, etc.), do minor repair procedures on their old cars (like taking up rod or main bearings, replacing wear items such as clutches and brakes, tightening bands, etc.), especially on older vehicles that most "mechanics" have no clue whatsoever how to fix or repair. The politicos expect us to do as they would do - have our T's towed to a shop and have some high priced mechanic (who hasn't a clue) work on them.

Then again... At various times they tried to BAN all vehicles over a certain age, regardless of whether it was a rat trap rustmobile or a historical vehicle or even a rare collectable (like a deusenberg or lincoln or a model K) - force you to sell it to a scrapper at a price the state determined (IIRC it was to be like $50 or $100) and have the vehicle destroyed - because they determined ALL pre-current smog controlled motors were "gross pollution generators" and destroying the place.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:24 pm

I am glad I live in America
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:12 pm

I think the spirit of the law is to protect property values and zoned areas - its really about keeping property taxes high. Having said that, its just another reason why I would never live in CA (Berkley, Quacks and Quakes, Mud Slides, Brush Fires, State & Local Taxes, Traffic Jams, Drug Abuse, Cost of Living, and Hippies if there are any left :-)
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:03 pm

I saw this story on line this morning and thought about posting it on this Forum, but then decided to let it pass, what difference does it make to the Ca. politicians. Here in the PRC,= Peoples Republic of California = in our Ca. government = same as PRK= Peoples Republic of Korea= North Korea. Shooting off air burst fireworks by individuals is illegal in Ca., but the Ca. Sanctuary State Laws protect certain groups, so when my new neighbors across the street fired off 30 or so aerial shells over my house last night the cops said they couldn't do anything. In Ca. it just depends on what group you are in. By the way Norman don't forget the Ca. State new amo back ground check law to buy amo, and if you are a Ca resident and get caught bringing just one round back into Ca. from out of state you can be charged with a felony. No wonder so many long time Ca. residents are seeking freedom in Nevada, Idaho, Texas, etc !

BuddyTheRoadster
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Rini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 roadster

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:10 pm

Reading the article, it seems that standard DIY maintenance things are fine. The crack down is on 1) using tools not normally found in a residence, 2) working on cars registered to someone who doesn't live there, and 3) a project done outside of an enclosed garage that makes a car nonoperative for more than 24 yours.

The only one I worry about is, "using tools not normally found in a residence." My residence has a sandblaster and a milling machine. (I've also got a church organ upstairs, but I don't own a TV.) I think what they're trying to do is legislate against guys running late model, independent car garages from their houses in violation of zoning laws, not carrying insurance, and not paying business taxes. I don't think this will be a problem for us unless someone who lives in the city likes to keep non-running projects on the driveway.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:41 pm

I could write for hours! I rant often, and I am sure some of my neighbors, people that work in stores and businesses I must trade at, are convinced I am some sort of loony that should be institutionalized.
A few random comments.
Chris R says "I think what they're trying to do is legislate against guys running late model, independent car garages from their houses in violation of zoning laws, not carrying insurance, and not paying business taxes." This state has a LO-ONG history incrementalism. Adding regulations to "reign in" abuses avoiding "legitimate" licenses, fees, or taxes (Hey people gotta pay their fair share!). Then following it up by creeping further into controlling people's lives and taking their property without just cause. We cannot buy a decent used car for a fair price because the state has used taxpayer's dollars to buy and crush perfectly good used cars (to save the environment!). Good cars are destroyed because millions of people would rather take the "state's" $1500 to $2000 than to deal with trying to sell it to someone they don't know and don't trust (probably don't trust for very good reasons considering the state does NOT enforce laws against fraud, scamming, or scoping potential robbery sites, many major urban areas do NOT even investigate burglaries anymore, been there, on the losing side of that). The result of the state spending OUR money to buy and destroy all those good used cars is that there are so few of them left on the market that anything decent is selling for thousands of dollars. Many cars are offered for sale for much less, and having needed to buy a couple over the past fifteen years, I can tell you from experience that most of those cars that are being offered for under a few thousand are junkers that should be destroyed. Many of them will not pass smog, many have cloudy titles, many of them need way too much work to have a car capable of driving daily or getting more than a few hundred miles out of it. The last past time I had to get a car, I saw several nice looking cars offered for a thousand or more with blown transmissions that would cost additional thousands or more to repair (a few have had estimates of about $5000 to replace the transmission!).

I do NEED to get out of this state! I can't stand living in fear of the politically driven insurance issues and a hundred other things. I would have been out of here already if certain family members would stop interfering and get out of my way. Truly crazy people SHOULD NOT have the right to make demands regardless of their gender! (No offense intended toward non-crazy people of either gender).

I do blame the brainless dummies in this state for electing the same narcissistic hypocrites over and over again. The "education" in this state teaches people to NOT think, don't remember, and do respect all those that hate you. About eighty percent of all people born are born to be sheep. They will behave as they are taught to behave. When the liars are in charge, they teach the youth to be faithful followers instead of independent thinkers. The young teachers I had in school (oh so many years ago) were trying to teach me to be that way.

The land of Washington and Lincoln is DEAD in Califunny!

I have to go under my blanket and suck my thumb for awhile now.

Autie
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Keller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1

Post by Autie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:53 pm

How many "common/average" households have air impacts, milling machines, floor jacks, hoists, or even a grease gun? Think everyone owns or even knows what a grease gun is? Better think again. Not too many. In violation of just one of these things, and the "garage police" will come a knockin'. I am sure this will apply down in the ghettos of Cali and will be strictly enforced there too. Yup, typical Liberals.... vote Liberals into positions of authority to create their "Utopia". Then they find out they do not like it when it directly affects them, Then they flee to a different city/county/state and promote the same Liberal "Utopia" they just fled from. Rinse-repeat. Nope, you created it, you live with it. Stay right where you are.

Topic author
Marv K

Post by Marv K » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Again, repeating from the article: "And a user in the forum, nimblemotorsports, mentioned that he’d already received a $430 fine for working on his car in his garage."
THAT's a guy with his OWN car in his OWN garage. And California keeps electing them...

Topic author
Marv K

Post by Marv K » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:33 pm

Finishing my rant, (at least this part of it), isn't there a saying that says "Evil exists when GOOD PEOPLE do nothing!"?????

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:49 pm

The next thing on the chopping block is fossil fuels...
Banned or taxed beyond affordable, no gas = Model T yard art. Oh yeah, that's not allowed either.
I don't think most will be wrenching on their all electric Prius. :roll:

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:00 pm

Norm K said it all in one sentence: "Stop electing these people". I amazes me. Especially after an elected moron established a pattern of stupidity how the chimps that talk re-elect them. It won't stop until they stop.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Roz
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe, 1925 TT, 1927 Speedster, 1931 Model A
MTFCA Number: 31449
MTFCI Number: 24373
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Roz » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:10 pm

They’re gonna put the retail parts stores out of business. That’s a loss of a few jobs.

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356

Post by HalSched » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:49 pm

Chicago, Detroit and a few other decaying areas are all run by the same system as California. Tax on gas went up almost $.20 a gallon since our new Governer took over. My blood pressure wants to be a problem so I won't go on. I drove my Model T on better dirt roads in the 30's than I drive on in Sacramento now. There were lots of road improvement going on when they were campaining to increase gas tax but when the "sheep" voted o.k. to the tax increase I have seen very little road maintenance....Sure is a lot spent on other things though.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:53 pm

Everyone has forgot history, The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. Taxation, corrupt politicians, fees, and liberalism. Lets sit back and watch....,it will fall very hard in due time.

Sad considering the majority of speed came from Cali-fruity and the gear heads it produced.

Hank Lee, Proud fifth generation Californian prior to statehood!

Now a Professional Transplanted Tin-A-See-N

HPetrino
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Hal,

Things are no better 75 miles south of you. We too pay ridiculously high gas taxes, then to add insult to injury the dummies, er I mean electorate, passed "Measure L" a while back. It's a county wide (Stanislaus County) sales tax passed specifically to improve our roads. So far, no noticeable improvements and it's been about 2 years.

I'd sure like to see a FACTUAL accounting of were all the billions of gas tax dollars and "road tax" dollars we've paid over the past 25 years have actually gone. The politicians promise one thing, then do something else consistently. It's a pattern that is repeated frequently. As George Bernard Show said, "History teaches us that we don't learn from history."

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:04 pm

Well I just saw an article that stated they were going to out law frying bacon at home because when it sizzles it makes too much noise and that may bother the neighbors! :shock: :shock: :shock:
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

critterpainter
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Dodd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 T Touring
MTFCA Number: 27186
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by critterpainter » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:11 pm

I'll bet developments like this will become more popular!

https://www.garagecondos.com/
14 Touring

Kingsford-Smith
First Name: Howard
Last Name: Kingsford-Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50215

Post by Kingsford-Smith » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:15 pm

Makes NZ look pretty good even though we have greenies.
Can still restore a car at home with no interference

babychadwick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:26 pm

You aren't alone hank. My family goes way back in CA and it won't be long until I join you in TN.

kmatt
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe, 1921 speedster, 1925 TT, 1916 Exp
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:35 pm

Wayne Sheldon: You make many good points but you said, " No offense intended toward non-crazy people of either gender ", you forgot that in Ca. the politicians say there about 26 different genders, and that you better not address someone by the wrong one of the 26 from the one they identify with. If you use the wrong one they can charge you for a hate crime. Proof that it is the Ca. politicians that are crazy.

Autie: (Keith): I have a MIG Wellder, I am guessing that won't be considered a "common/average tool'. It's a fine for me by this CRAP.

Marv: A $430.00 fine for working on his own car in his own garage, first offense. So much for the 8th Amendment, "no excessive fines".

Henry: Drive south to Fresno and Hanford, see all those tax $$ at work on Ca HSR. There crazy train overpasses to nowhere in Fresno. In Hanford there are farms that had there property cut and taken by Order Of Possession, but not paid for, leaving the farmer's irrigation lines cut off. The farmer had to spend $75,000.00 of his own money plus the cost of drilling a new well on the cut off side to save his farm. It may be 3 or 4 years if he gets paid, unless Ca. State finds a way to stiff him for some of the $$. It is just like how China built their HSR.

BuddyTheRoadster

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:48 am

Now is the time for people in Sacramento County to get involved in local government and overturn this.

Here is a link to the actual county zoning: http://www.code-enforcement.saccounty.n ... epair.aspx I find Section 4 prohibiting the painting of car parts troubling. There's a lot of anger on different forums over this as well as people saying that other cities and counties have similar statutes. This will be an interesting development.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:00 am

The silent majority has two choices: Make changes where you live or Change where you live. When you live in a "Blue State" all you're going to get is the blues. I live in one and the next Tax under consideration is an "Exit Tax" that is they are going to Tax people if they move out of the State. It is likely to apply when one dies regardless of where one is buried.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

babychadwick

Post by babychadwick » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:01 am

Repair of flat tires is permitted although work is not permitted with tools not normally found at a residence. I wonder how many politicians could identify a tire iron or how many residences might actually have one?

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:21 am

kmatt wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:35 pm
... in Ca. the politicians say there about 26 different genders...
Just add Motorhead to the list. Problem solved.

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:35 am

Mother Nature may have the final word here...
I hope the recent earthquakes have not effected any of are T friends. And prayers for those that they have.
Imagine if the 7.1 was centered closer to a major city !! :shock:

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:27 am

Born and raised in California, I go out and visit every few years and each time I'm reminded how glad I am I got the heck out. When L. A. was a small town like Wichita or Omaha, it wasn't a bad place to live. But cram eight million people into a place and the quality of life declines. Most are good people, but the sheer numbers of them exacerbate negative trends and make daily life increasingly unpleasant. I don't see this as political. Yes, California is largely a liberal and Democratic state. But I see politicians in other places, politicians who call themselves Conservatives, working hard to make things worse. Worse in other ways, perhaps, but worse nonetheless. It seems to me that officeholders of any stripe at any level of government tend to intrude in our lives in negative ways, often with good intentions but unintended consequences. Very smart people can believe the most preposterous notions and do the most foolish things. Based on my perspective that the quality of life is inversely proportional to population, I consider myself blessed to live in a flyover state, and a relatively low-population jurisdiction within that state. Parkerfield (426 in the 2010 census) was incorporated as a city fifteen years ago with the express purpose of avoiding annexation into Arkansas City (12,415 people in 2010). Even at that small scale, in the reddest part of a very red state, we had to become a city in order to remain resolutely rural and escape the intrusive meddling that tends to emanate from all levels of government. I have no fear of anything as silly as the Sacramento nonsense afflicting me here.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Marv K

Post by Marv K » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:44 pm

-Hey, Steve-
Like you, I appreciate residing in an area referred to as the 'Frozen Tundra'... Everyone needs to think for themselves, too. Am I concerned about California's regs showing up here? Not today or tomorrow, but the bubonic plague of idiots always seems to pop up and spread. Lets hope that rational logic and common sense can make a comeback.

Topic author
Marv K

Post by Marv K » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Wanted to re-iterate: "For EVIL to exist, GOOD PEOPLE have to do NOTHING!"

Ruxstel24

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Sort of related...home owner associations have been doing things like this for years.
One fellow I worked with said ONE dandelion and the HOA would send you a fine.
A pickup truck had to be kept in the garage.
Absolutely no vehicle repairs.
A shed had to be sided and match the house.
On and on, I don't know how one could live like that.
I prefer my little 2 acres and nobody bothers me at all. A lot around here do there own car repairs and/or have classics they restore.
I did go to the city and got approved for a "home occupancy permit", before I started my auto repairs business here. Lots of farmers and tractors go up and down the road daily.
No HOA for me !!
The city north of me, about 5 miles away, we shoot trap regularly in my friend's backyard !!
Not allowed to shoot here, but the occasional ground hog comes down with lead poisoning sometimes... ;)
Basically 10-15 miles away from the "big city", yet close to any type store you could need.

AndyClary
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Clary
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout 1926 Coupe. Mercury Speedster #1249
MTFCA Number: 24057

Post by AndyClary » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:47 pm

This ordinance is pretty specific but probably wouldn't hold up to a good lawyer. You'd probably find an ordinance just about anywhere that cites "nonconforming use" that they can use to address complaints. I'd imagine you would have to pass off a neighbor for this to be enforced. After my walk through the redwoods this morning I think I'll stay in California.

Andy

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:50 pm

After my walk through the redwoods this morning I think I'll stay in California.

Yes, the natural beauty to be found in the state is wonderful. Even magical. I hope to do some Model T touring in my favorite rural areas there.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

BuddyTheRoadster

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:23 pm

Andyclary wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:47 pm
I'd imagine you would have to pass off a neighbor for this to be enforced.
Andy
This is paramount! My family enjoy good relationships with our neighbors, and my Dad was the surrogate grandfather to all the kids, so no one complains about the trailer in the driveway or the black hole that is the garage.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464

Post by Susanne » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:52 pm

Our closest "big city" has a population of 3000 spread out over 30 miles, and the real "big city" is 85K and 40 miles distant. I can't see either neighbor's house from our porches, and our "small" trees are 50' tall (and the big ones 4-5x that).

And while we're technically in California, a lot of people (some well meaning, some sorta out there, some just angry contrarians) want to make us the 51st state... because of the antics of Sacramento. And the deeper Sac drags us down the rathole, the more I agree with the Jeffersonians...

I have no plan on leaving, but if we had to, we still have property, um, "elsewhere"... Just need a container big enough for tools, a couple disassembled T's, a few other vehicles... and shipping. Maybe (if there's space) minor incidentals like furniture, clothes, etc... :lol:

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:11 pm

RustyFords commented that some parts of California are considering splitting off and forming another state. Although this is legal under the US constitution, it is not under the California constitution. To allow a split there would have to be a constitutional convention where the California legislature would have to remove the provision. Constitutional changes require a super-majority of the legislators in order to pass. It is doubtful that this would happen. Assuming that the forgoing actually occurred, there would have to be additional legislation to set boundaries and numerous other details such as setting up governments in the new states. After all that, the federal government (congress) would have to approve it. Don't hold your breath. As an interesting aside, Texas is the only state that can split without federal approval. That was a condition that Texas demanded when it was admitted to the union. One of the new states would still be named Texas, and as many as four other new states could be created. I doubt that this would ever happen though.

HPetrino

Post by HPetrino » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:34 pm

From Wikipedia:
The constitution of California distinguishes between constitutional amendments and revisions, the latter of which is considered to be a "substantial change to the entire constitution, rather than ... a less extensive change in one or more of its provisions".[21] Both require passage of a California ballot proposition by voters, but they differ in how they may be proposed. An amendment may be placed on the ballot by either a two-thirds vote in the California State Legislature or signatures equal to 8% of the votes cast in the last gubernatorial election, among the lowest thresholds for similar measures of any U.S. state.[22]
As of 2018, this was 997,139 signatures[23] compared to an estimated 2018 population of 39,557,045.[24] Revisions originally required a constitutional convention but today may be passed with the approval of both two-thirds of the legislature and a majority of voters; while simplified since its beginnings, the revision process is considered more politically charged and difficult to successfully pass than an amendment.[25]

HPetrino

Post by HPetrino » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:38 pm

We do it all the time:

The current (and second) California Constitution was adopted in 1879.[5]
The current constitution has been amended over 514 times.[5]
The most recent amendments to the California Constitution, of which there were three, were approved by voters in 2018.
California has a process for initiated constitutional amendments, which means constitutional amendments can happen through citizen initiatives, legislatively referred constitutional amendments, or constitutional conventions.

HPetrino

Post by HPetrino » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:41 pm

The problem:

The majority of California voters reside south of the Tehachapi's. The majority of California water is north of the Tehachapi's. I suspect we'd mutually like to part company, but the water war stands squarely in the way.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

TEXAS TWIST

Post by Novice » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:54 pm

If that law was proposed in Texas. They would be heating up the tar and plucking the chicken.

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:04 pm

hpetrino wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:41 pm
The problem:

The majority of California voters reside south of the Tehachapi's. The majority of California water is north of the Tehachapi's. I suspect we'd mutually like to part company, but the water war stands squarely in the way.
This is pretty much the case everywhere. The big cities hold the rest of the state hostage. Chicago/Illinois comes to mind.

The basic reason is that the first grade is now in charge of running the school. Think about that........the stupid things that are proposed in government now with no possible way of paying for them or the consequences there of.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:49 pm

So Marv, Don't you think there are many that would even like it if our old cars were not even Visible from the street no matter how nice they are? Some things are pretty sad..
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
Marv K

Post by Marv K » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 am

-Hi, Gene-
When I started at E.F. Hutton, (on 'Black Monday' yet), there was another Registered Rep cohort who worked there too. He had an egotistical 'nose problem', flaunting and bragging about his shiny super car. With his strut in tow, he offered me a ride.... "You've probably never ridden in something like this before!" (I hadn't revealed that I had drag-raced at the strips with my Gran Sport Buick's or a Ford Fairlane before them...) My thoughtful response??? "Tell ya what.... After the bell, you take your car, and I'll take the Model T. You can even go first! Let's drive a loop together down through around Green Bay and back here to the office. Tolerable traffic, but not hectic. Who do you think will get the most attention? The most thumbs up? The most appreciative smiles with horn honks????"

(Even he knew what that subtle truth would be!) My enjoyment comes from being able to share history with others, while I remain the 'distant second'..... (And, then what's the 'cost' of those simpler times?)

We're all entitled to be different, but sometimes there's a nose that's just waiting to deservedly get poked! Your California politicians probably won't see it coming.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic