Driveshaft advice

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Belliott3
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Elliott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Model T Touring
MTFCA Number: 52438
MTFCI Number: 22121
Board Member Since: 2006

Driveshaft advice

Post by Belliott3 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:28 pm

I just finished rebuilding my driveshaft and rear axle on my 1910 and test fit the entire assembly. I installed everything in both the axle housings and the driveshaft and bolted all together including the rear radius arms. I wanted to be sure there were no snags before applying grease and gasket sealer so I left that off. Everything seems to fit the way it should and the only issue (maybe) is that the U-joint stub seems a bit difficult to turn by hand; in fact, the only way it does turn is with the help of a wrench on the end of the stub. It's not binding and it really isn't that hard to turn with the wrench but is it supposed to turn by hand? Maybe after I take it all apart and apply grease and lubricant it will turn easier.

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Re: Driveshaft advice

Post by Joe Bell » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 pm

All the ones I have done are tight and you use a wrench to spin them, hook to an engine run it about 15 min and it will spin by hand.

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Re: Driveshaft advice

Post by Alan Long » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Yes, I agree with Joe.
A newly rebuild drive line will require a bit of grunt to turn it and my experience you require a 12” crescent
on the Universal Joint to spin it over. The total of all those tighter clearances certainly add up and if you have
confidence that all are within spec, button it up and move forward! With my 1910, my only mistake was not replacing the 12
rivets with new Allen Key style Bolts as I have one that spits out a little oil which promoted the need for a breather debate!
Alan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic