Coils

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Coils

Post by RGould1910 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:41 am

Finishing up a mechanical rebuild and will soon be focusing on a new ignition set up. Would like opinions on who to use to rebuild coils and whether I should stick with an original timer or go with a modern electronic unit and if so, which one.

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Re: Coils

Post by John Codman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:54 am

Ron Patterson was recommended to me by a Friend in Massachusetts who had his done by Ron. Actually Ron has my coils right now. As to the timer, I replaced mine with a reproduction from Lang's. It solved the problem and works well. I have no experience with the electronic units.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:20 am

Brent Mize comes well recommended too.
"Get a horse !"

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 22437

Post by Fire_chief » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 am

I am currently running on coils rebuilt by Ron. Both Ron and Brent do good work. I am also currently running I-Timers in my 12 and 14. Both cars run trouble free, and I will also be changing over my 22 to the I-Timer soon. Two of the three electronic ignition systems that I previously bought are having problems, so I decided to go a new route. Mike Kosser has a great product, and is available to help with problems and tech info.

ShirkWood
First Name: Verne
Last Name: Shirk

Post by ShirkWood » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:17 pm

I have three Ts running Patterson coils. Here's my theory. If I am on a tour running stock ignition and have ignition problems, someone (generally quite a few "fellow T owners") on the tour will have parts to help me out. With one of the various "other" forms of ignition systems you'll probably be lucky to find parts &/OR people that will be knowledgable enough to help.

NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Post by NealW » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:39 pm

I've got coils rebuilt by Erik Larson that are ECCT tuned in my 21 touring that I am very happy with. He is currently rebuilding the coils for my 15 runabout project. His website is: modeltcoils.com

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:15 pm

I have heard Very good reviews from local guys here that have sent coils to Eric Larson. There are a lot of guys that offer coil rebuilding services. In my opinion a rebuilder that uses the most advanced testing system to obtain the highest level of performance is the guy I would use. I don't know about cost comparison but bet most are pretty close.
Your timer question should be on a separate thread. The E and I timers from Mike Kossor have the ultimate lever of customer satisfaction and also reliability. They operate seemingly forever without ever needing any type of maintenance or cleaning and offer the highest level of performance of any timer system available. It's sort like that old ad saying it's the last one you will ever need to buy! If you use the ETimer you would not need to have your coils adjusted which may save you some $$ but you still need them in place and a good circuit.
Good Luck and get that T on the Road!
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510

Post by Thorlick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Richard,

When I started out in T's I did my own coils setting them on a home made tester. Then I got much better results HCCA local club member using his own tester (he is now deceased). I then had Ron Patterson do my coils for my 1913, and later my 1927. Eventually I discovered that Roger Barrett (Erik's father) does coils.

By far the best were Ron or Roger. Sending to Ron will cost more than to Roger and will entail at least a week or two wait. You live in Folsom so you are about 30 minutes from Erik and Roger. Roger will set them on his Strobe-O-spark unit. The will run just like Ron's coils and last just as long. The advantage to you is that Roger is so close, you can drop in for a visit and immediate adjustment if there are any problems. The downside is I don't know how long Roger will continue doing this, I bet he will retire sometime... when he gets old enough!

I suggest you call Roger and chat about it. If you can't find the phone number then send me a p.m.
Strobe-O-Spark
Strobe-O-Spark
TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Thorlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project

Post by Thorlick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Forgot to mention that Roger can rebuild including points and capacitor replacement. I

I don't know Roger's prices, but I know I can pinch a penny harder than anyone and I always smile when leaving Erik's. I will be dropping a full set of coils with Roger when I go to Erik for new rods and babbit in a week. The coils are destined to sit on a shelf awaiting the restoration of my Omnibus.
Omnibus
Omnibus
TH
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)

Topic author
RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Thank to all for the valuable advice. I really appreciate the input. Terry that's a beautiful car! Where on earth did you find it? Does it fit on a TT or T chassis?

Marty Bufalini
First Name: Marty
Last Name: Bufalini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring

Post by Marty Bufalini » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Nothing against Ron but I've always used Brent, Great work and customer service.

Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Richard,

The body is a perfect fit on a T chassis. That body came out of Pasadena, Kim Dobbins generously sold it to me so it wouldn’t have to meet a fate of conflagration. The running gear had lots of high powered stuff and went to someone for a speedster.

My 1912 running gear come from Penny Miller. Her late father Mel collected it.

This is an English Station Omnibus body exactly like the plans published in the September, 1916 issue of “The Fordowner”. These rear-entrance tonneau bodies were produced in 1915-1918. It is typical that an aftermarket body would go on an older chassis such as my 1912.

Here’s what I am shooting for:
Fabulous Omnibus built by Robert Wirth in 1973.
Fabulous Omnibus built by Robert Wirth in 1973.
44E60F66-94C5-4AB6-8AE8-38F94C70A8D2.jpeg (144.98 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
One of three or so others known to exist.
One of three or so others known to exist.
TH

JohnH
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:18 pm

One advantage of the E-Timer or I-Timer is that the coils and ignition wiring remain original. If, in the unlikely event of failure, it is a simple matter to switch back to a mechanical timer and keep going. Another advantage of course is no mechanical wear and the timing remains perfect forever. As to which of the two to choose, it depends if you want magneto operation (use the I-Timer), or if you are happy to run on battery alone (and have the option of automatic timing adjustment), use the E-Timer. I use the E-Timer with rebuilt coils and couldn't be happier with the results. Having said that, I should mention that coils used with the E-Timer do not have to be adjusted or have the capacitors replaced - that's purely optional, but an advantage for those without a coil tester, or who are not confident in rebuilding coils. The only stipulation is the windings are good.

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:32 am

I've never heard anything negative about Brent Mize or Ron Patterson. I run a set of coils rebuilt by Ron in my TT and they run as well now as they ever did. I now have an HCCT and recently checked them and they were still dead on....years later. Cranks by hand on magneto and frequently, on the first pull after choking.

Now, let's see how long it takes to receive a disparaging response..........

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 am

JohnH wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:18 pm
I use the E-Timer with rebuilt coils and couldn't be happier with the results. Having said that, I should mention that coils used with the E-Timer do not have to be adjusted or have the capacitors replaced - that's purely optional, but an advantage for those without a coil tester, or who are not confident in rebuilding coils. The only stipulation is the windings are good.
The E-Timer's resistors bypass the coil points. I assume that point adjustment is no longer needed except as a backup if a stock timer is temporarily installed. Don't the coil capacitors need to be operating properly to run efficiently on battery rather than magneto with an E-Timer? I have decent coils but no mag and I will probably install an E-Timer this fall. My car is currently not roadworthy.

JohnH
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Mark Nunn wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 am
The E-Timer's resistors bypass the coil points. I assume that point adjustment is no longer needed except as a backup if a stock timer is temporarily installed. Don't the coil capacitors need to be operating properly to run efficiently on battery rather than magneto with an E-Timer? I have decent coils but no mag and I will probably install an E-Timer this fall. My car is currently not roadworthy.
Those "resistors" are actually fusible links to short out the coil points and capacitors; the E-Timer taking over the function of both those components. Only if you want to use a mechanical timer do the capacitors need to be good, and the points adjustment correct. It's possible to run the E-Timer without bridging the points, if the points are adjusted a certain way, which is how I use it. I don't even have to open the coil box if I want to switch back to the mechanical timer.

Locked Previous topicNext topic