Rusted Radiator outlet

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
abcarswell
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Carswell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Model TT

Rusted Radiator outlet

Post by abcarswell » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:31 pm

What started out as a simple cracked hose replacement now looks more serious. I know my TT sat for several years before I acquired it last February. Based on the corrosion I’m seeing in the flanges, it appears that it may have sat with raw water or weak antifreeze. I will flush the engine with CLR but am now concerned that I won’t get the radiator hose to reseal on the bottom. Any thoughts?
Attachments
A4E67CE3-CC12-44E3-B16B-59A7135B6BCC.jpeg
76FC78CE-8411-47EB-92D5-3AF65DEC7AF0.jpeg
9396333C-388D-4D72-BB1D-E703504A780D.jpeg
0C4A139E-8BB9-4360-8D6E-D0336C6AF461.jpeg

Peter, Memphis TN
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Claverie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Re: Rusted Radiator outlet

Post by Peter, Memphis TN » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:40 pm

It appears from the pictures that you might be able to get a decent seal with a hose. I'd start by clipping away the ragged parts, making sure you have at least 1/2" of good metal all around. If you do, you can probably use a slightly longer than usual piece of hose, and seal it with Permatex or something like it before clamping it. Don't screw the clamps too tight - let the Permatex do the work.

Best of luck!

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:42 pm

Find a junk T radiator with a good outlet and have a radiator shop put it on your radiator. And for that rusty tube, replace it with a bronze one and it'll never rust. The vendors have them.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:44 pm

You could clean very well with a small wire wheel on a cordless drill inside and out, bring it down to bare metal if possible. Find some very small wall thickness metal tubing that will fit inside or just use some small flashing forming it round. Clean the outside of the tubing, clean with acetone all surfaces, then use regular JB Weld. It might take a few times to build up the outside surface, but it will work for now.

Hope this helps, All the Best,

Hank

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:49 pm

I think brassworks makes a replacement lower radiator outlet. Before I finally bought a new Bergs radiator for my 24 Coupe I repaired the lower outlet with JB weld that was in similar shape as yours. The outlet has to be thourghly cleaned. It lasted for a couple of years or so. If your careful you can reform the bent piece on yours and the use the JB weld. It’s a patch job but it will work. Using a thin piece of tubing on the inside will help.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Before you spend much on replacement of the fitting, try other methods posted above to seal it. Try it out and see how the radiator cools the truck. With a radiator that old, there could be corrosion between the cooling fins and the tubes which cannot be fixed. The idea is to spend as little as you can get by with until you are certain this radiator will work. Then you can use the money saved to replace with a new radiator.
Norm

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Some good advice above

here is an '11 radiator which had been dismantled 40 years ago, rodded out, reassembled (with this neck!!) and put on display in a museum. It cools just fine and I just put this car on the road.

one picture is how it was found and the other is after wirebrushing and Ospho, but before painting.

Following paint cure, the top hose was installed with Ultra Black and a slight squeeze with a modern hose clamp. After full cure, the hose clamp was tweeked just a little tighter. Bottom outlet was the same, and treated the same way. The entire assembly is entirely drip-free. There is no reason to expect you'll not have the same results.
IMG_20190604_144541295.gif
IMG_20190609_130818837.gif
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:54 pm

There is no better way to fix the problem than to replace the outlet with a new brass casting. This can be done without even removing the bottom tank. However, I would have the bottom tank removed and a very gentle rodding to make sure the core tubes are clear. That way the outlet an even be riveted as was done in the factory.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:31 am

Norman K has the right idea. Been there and done that. Use the methods posted to repair the outlet as it is. It should last long enough to run your T long and far enough to see if the radiator still will cool. If it cools and doesn’t leak that’s good.
Old original radiators that ‘look’ good can fool you.
I spent to much time with 2 original radiators trying to repair them and going to swap meets looking for a good used one.
I bought a new Bergs and it was amazing to drive my T with a radiator that didn’t have a slight leak and really cooled. There really is a difference. Should have bought one earlier and saved my time and money.

Topic author
abcarswell
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Carswell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Model TT

Post by abcarswell » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Good ideas from all. Thanks. I’ll try to get it cleaned up and sealed. The little bit I have had it out on the road did not highlight any major cooling issues although probably did not give it a proper stress test yet. This little episode just show the pitfalls of tackling a minor project whilst involved in a larger task. I’m in the middle of body and fender work and I thought I’d change the hoses out while waiting for filler to set up. Now I have two relatively major projects. Oh well, it had to be done sometime.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic