Wood steering wheel joint repair

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Autie
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Keller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1

Wood steering wheel joint repair

Post by Autie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Just picked up a "T" wood steering wheel. It has the grooves all around the inside diameter for finger placements and is in great shape. A couple of the joints are slightly loose. Enough where you can feel them wiggle. I know if this issue isn't addressed, it will become much worse. There are "brads" throughout the wheel helping to hold the wood together. Are the "brads" suppose to be there or did someone attempt to stabilize the wood w/them (they do look like they are suppose to be there/all evenly spaced)? I was thinking about using Titebond wood glue, lightly stretching the joint apart, applying a light amount over the loose joints and gently/lightly blowing the glue into the joints w/my air handle from an air compressor to get the glue in deep and the immediately put another "dab" of glue on and work that in w/a thin piece of card board box top and then use a ratchet strap around the whole wheel to pull it in snug. Then wipe off any glue that oozes. Has anyone tried this and if so, were you successful?

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Wood steering wheel joint repair

Post by Humblej » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:07 pm

Only way to deal with old dried out glue joints is to take the pieces apart, clean the old glue out, apply new glue, and clamp the joints and the circumference. Brads are not used. If you have tight fitting joints water resistant wood glue is good, if there are gaps in the joints epoxy is better. Squeezing new glue into a joint with old dried out glue and dirt will not hold.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic